WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Donald Trump thinks himself "larger than life". He has conducted his Presidency like an autocrat and has been abetted by a chorus of sycophants. But his narrowness of vision, self-absorption, incompetence, and ignorance have resulted in ineffectiveness of historical proportions. In short, he has diminished the Presidency measurably.

Nationally, he has no legislative accomplishments. His party is in disarray. He's under potentially criminal investigation. And his cabinet is derided for their astounding and aggressive incompetence. Internationally, he's shunned, pilloried and ignored. Our Allies are looking to move on without him, our enemies/adversaries see no reason to respect or fear him, and most of the rest look on in incredulity.

It took most of his two terms for Obama to heal the rifts and regain the respect that George Bush created and destroyed. How long will healing take this time? Can we recover?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW_P
It took most of his two terms for Obama to heal the rifts and regain the respect that George Bush created and destroyed. How long will healing take this time? Can we recover?
Ahhh...Compassionate CONservative George W Bush who never vetoed a spending bill during the first six years of his tenure.

When, CONervatives took a majority in the government under W Bush, they decided to use the government in a very aggressive CONservative way to promote CONservative programs and spend money for CONservative initiatives.

CONservatives abandoned any thing remotely similar to their small government heritage, voting for more spending, lower taxes, new entitlements, by removing any rules that previous Congresses had lived with to create the assemblage and culture of fiscal discipline, namely "Pay as you Go."

Then, we have the GW Bush's international forays.

Attacking Iraq because 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudi. Makes sense! In invading a sovereign country and breaking it, an appointee fired all of the Iraqi police and military. Those tactically trained men were bitter that their livelihoods were taken away and formed an opposition force which later became ISIS under Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Such legacies that Republicans leave behind. coffee

...and the Republican sycophants complain that Obama didn't fix things well enough in his eight years - so they reward an incompetent, narcissistic, failed business man to be the most powerful man in the world to run America further into the ground, making the next Democratic Administration work harder to restore America to its greatness. Makes sense! crazy

Contrarian, extraordinaire

A
veteran
veteran
A
CONtrarian?
Heh. Loved the post.
'Tis been years since I've stoppered by.

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
NO

Once, weapons were manufactured to fight wars; today, wars are manufactured to sell weapons

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
NO

The only lasting damage so far is Gorsuch, but that just makes the Supreme Court about the same it was before Scalia died.

The other lasting damage is the nuclear option on the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees. But I suspect Republicans will rue the day they did that. It's going to be smooth sailing for Democratic Presidents from now on when they have a Democratic Senate. Republicans have been much more likely to use the filibuster in the past. Now that's gone for Supreme Court nominees.

Assuming Trump doesn't do something stupid like attack North Korea as a diversion. At this point though, I think he would have a hard time getting that past the Secretary of Defense.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by agnostic
CONtrarian?
Heh. Loved the post.
AG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bow

How ARE you?????

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In short, he has diminished the Presidency measurably.
Oh, I don't know about that. He has simply reinforced what most of us knew all along...that Republicans are incapable of governing. He's pretty much exactly what we've come to expect a Republican president to be; corrupt, incompetent, and ignorant. Toadies to corporate influence, blind to what the majority of Americans want and need and beholden to a radical anti-government base.
Near as I can tell, things are ticking along nicely.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
T
T
Originally Posted by pdx rick
CONtrarian?
Heh. Loved the post.
AG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bow

How ARE you?????

Ditto AG! How is the metal smiting? I have recently caught the steel bug, and dear wife is entranced by new welding and plasma cutting equipment! Wives really love this hot stuff!

Tat

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CONtrarian?
Heh. Loved the post.

I am overjoyed to see you again...welcome back Ag.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Assuming Trump doesn't do something stupid like attack North Korea as a diversion. At this point though, I think he would have a hard time getting that past the Secretary of Defense.

That ain't even the half of it.
I'm still expecting a manufactured national security crisis.
The sort of thing where Trump can claim that "ONLY HE CAN FIX IT".
An attack on the DPRK is a perfect fit.

I don't think most of the Pentagon top brass support him anymore however, and it is clear that the national security community doesn't, and neither does the intelligence community.
So it might be difficult for him to pull it off...except...

My only worry is that too many in those communities have a tendency to "fall in line and fall in love" when something bad happens.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com

Link Copied to Clipboard