WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
You are right about the high school thing. I would add, a bit off the subject, that home economics should also be returned so the graduate understands, if nothing else, how to boil an egg.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Home Ec was a means to teach women how to be successful wives. Shop class was a means to teach men the skills they didn't teach in Home Ec. I think we are screwing up if we are not teaching both to both sexes. We also need to teach them how to manage a checking account. How to save money for big purchases and retirement. How to buy a house. How to drive a car, register it, finance it.

I would also teach both boys and girls how to be adults, how to please somebody else, how to be responsible with sex and reproduction, how to get along with people, and how to stay on the right side of the law. A lot of these things were things your parents would teach you, but these days those parents may not know themselves. Just watching a single daytime conflict show tells you we are doing something horribly wrong.

veteran
veteran
This has always been a paradox for me.

Parents should be the ones who teach all of the things necessary to manage ones life, but the flaw is not every parent knows how to do that.

So do we indoctrinate students in how to be productive citizens for the state or do we leave that to the vagaries of incompetent parents? Or make up your own take on this conundrum.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I would also teach both boys and girls how to be adults, how to please somebody else, how to be responsible with sex and reproduction, how to get along with people, and how to stay on the right side of the law. A lot of these things were things your parents would teach you, but these days those parents may not know themselves. Just watching a single daytime conflict show tells you we are doing something horribly wrong.

These days...

So you imagine sometime in the past that parents and schools taught all these life skills better than today? And if we just Make America Great Again™ everything will return to normal?

I have experience from the post War2 era when the middle class in America rose to its ultimate glory...nobody taught me s***.

Maybe all that was happening during the war? Or perhaps during the depression years? The Roaring Twenties? World War 1? Maybe religion took care of all that back in the days before rock and roll.

But I don't think so. I think we're looking at a long string of chaotic history where people did the best they could to survive with what little information they were given up front.

Kids are drowning in information these days. They don't need to be taught to farm and f*ck and pray. Shop class isn't going to help kids enter the robotically controlled and computer operated world of today.

Home Economics is not going to prepare women to be better housewives. Who the f*ck even has time to be a "housewife" in this day and age?

What we think we know and what we think is best for today's youth is entirely bullshit. The world has passed us by and we haven't improved on it much as it did.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Obviously you know how to cook well enough to feed yourself very well. Some of these kids have no idea and end up just eating fast food and prepackaged snack junk. That may be the main difference between productive adults and welfare recipients. I know how to cook and I do quite often. My little sister the welfare grifter knows how to buy a bucket of KFC.

Just go to WalMart: Nobody's buying carrots or celery, but they have a huge Little Debbie's section.

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
So your parents taught you all the right things but failed to do the same for your sister?

When I got married at 26 I couldn't cook for sh*t. My wife was a little younger and all she ate was canned green beans and Cambell's Gumbo Soup. I had no idea how to manage a checking account, buy a house, or anything else.
We learned together how to be adults, the same way kids are doing it now and the same way they've always done it.

But they've got Youtube tutorials to show them everything they need to know. All the world's collected knowledge is right at their fingertips. I expect great things to happen once they finally take over.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Essentially, yes. That's what happened. I left home at 17 when my little sis was 7. As soon as I moved out, my mother left and took my sister with her. So she did not have the same parenting experience at all. My father was a professor of Education. He had me solving quadratic equations at age 10. I worked and got a BS at the same time. My sister was a high school dropout who has never worked a day in her life.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Home Ec was a means to teach women how to be successful wives. Shop class was a means to teach men the skills they didn't teach in Home Ec. I think we are screwing up if we are not teaching both to both sexes. We also need to teach them how to manage a checking account. How to save money for big purchases and retirement. How to buy a house. How to drive a car, register it, finance it.

I have often had similar thought. We spent so much time in high school... what did we learn? It is not surprising that many kids wind up screwing up their lives... especially if they do not have parents who teach them this stuff. And the sick part is that, so often, kids do not want to listen to their parents... so it would be much better to have a “life skills” class
—-+
After a long time i just dropped by to say hi
Ardy

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Hi Ardy, welcome back. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

jgw #312041 04/25/19 03:25 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by jgw
You are right about the high school thing. I would add, a bit off the subject, that home economics should also be returned so the graduate understands, if nothing else, how to boil an egg.
1. Place egg into a pan of cold water.
2. Place on heat source.
3. Turn timer to 21 minutes.
4. Turn heat source on high.
5. When timer goes off, remove egg(s) from hot water.
6. Immerse egg(s) into an ice-water bath.

The prefect hard-cooked egg with no green ring. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Page 11 of 20 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard