WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#314001 08/19/19 07:25 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I have been watching, and reading, about a lot of thoughts on a lot of stuff. I thought I would try and simplify.

We now have a "For Profit Healthcare System", minimally socialized. Nobody calls the current system for profit, except me (as far as I can tell). That being said it is, absolutely, "For Profit". This means that operates, basically, for profit, not the patient. I doubt very much that there is much argument about this one. My point is that sometimes its a good thing to call a spade a spade and, I think, this is one of those.

I can remember when a state (forget which one) tried to institute a for profit fire department. If you didn't subscribe they let your house burn down. It failed. I also remember when a governor of New Mexico (later a candidate for president as a Libertarian) decided to create a for profit prison system (cleverly renamed the "Privatized Prison system of New Mexico) - that too failed. One can make a long list of privatization failures but I think my point is made for good or bad. Oh, just one more. Our dear leader is for for profit highways, bridges, damns, etc. People tend to forget that one but its referred to as his plan to fix our infrastructure. That too will fail.

My point is stuff that is for profit is, by definition not in the best interest of most of our nation. No one even vaguely suggests, for instance, a for profit police department. One of those would reasonably called a corrupt police department.

Anyway.... I just don't get it. We have a corrupt, self serving, not particularly good system of healthcare and people are busily suggesting this or that solution. I am for a incremental approach to healthcare simply because that is the only way the nation is going to be able to peacefully, and actually, get to a 100% NOT for profit healthcare system. A NOT for profit healthcare system is called, basically, a single payer system which means, simply, that everybody is taxed to pay for everybody's healthcare. It really is that simple and the war is how, not why, not when, but HOW!

One last, one of my repetitive cries. Nobody whines about non-profit police departments, fire departments, libraries, and (most of the time) public education.

Sorry, education probably deserves a paragraph all by itself. The current administration supports for profit educational systems. As far as I can tell they are working, very hard to destroy our public system and it also publicly backs for profit higher education which is pretty much an ongoing disgrace. This is just one more of the things that the current administration has been able to 'normalize'. I find it interesting, for instance, that in other places most high education, especially in stuff needed, that education is basically free if the student maintains specific grades and performs public service after graduation. Canada, for instance, educates its doctors that way.

Anyway, I am not against for profit endeavors. There are, however, I believe that there are certain undertakings, those which are socially responsible and necessary for the well being of the nation which should not be privatized or for profit. I believe that these things should be sold on that basis. I also believe that, in the end, their socialization is better for society, cheaper to provide, and just make sense. I am big on the sensible part........

jgw #314004 08/19/19 08:20 PM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Cars, homes, clothing, electronic gadgets, fancy foods, art, music, construction equipment, farm tools, there are literally hundreds of thousands of industries where profit is a great idea.

Health, education, military, law enforcement and public safety don't happen to fit any of them however.

Love your post, well said.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
jgw #314036 08/20/19 08:51 PM
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Why can't I make money off your health issues, now or eventually?

jgw #314058 08/21/19 06:45 PM
J
jgw Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
J
I was trying to point out services that are better offered by gov than capitalists. As long as gov does offer the services, and you think you can do better, and cheaper, have at it. So far that one is a failure, as far as I am concerned but you certainly have the right to try. I also suspect that, under those circumstances, gov should control and regulate the hell out of you!

chunkstyle #314062 08/21/19 10:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by chunkstyle
Why can't I make money off your health issues, now or eventually?

Because you’re likely to make a mess of it (nothing personal!) You’re not going to make a lot of profit providing emergency care in far-flung rural areas, or drug clinics for the homeless and/or impoverished. Gerontology, at least for the elderly ill, is expensive as hell, although a profit can be made.

What about treatment for probably-fatal cancers - or do you refuse treatment on the grounds that resources would better be spent elsewhere?

No thanks. It’s horked up enough as it is.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
old hand
old hand
jgw....
Thanks for opening a good discussion.

The "Personal Healthcare for All", is probably the most over spoken and under analyzed subject in the political arena today.

My guess is (sadly) that it will be little more than that in the coming years. Cut to the quick, the balance between $$$ and moral fiber in government has come to this low bar...

"First Do No Harm"

That's about the best I've seen from our legislators, and changing the system to do something positive, by redirecting monies away from the oligarchy to the welfare of the general public is unlikely to happen in my thinking.

As far as I can see, even any short term benefit... (not a change in policy) has only come with an accompanying major increase in long term debt... not from any reallocation of monies from the multi millionaires and multi billionaires.

And so... two ways to finance... you and I pay more, or we pass off the cost to our kids.

I think of it this way... If I have $100,000. and my tax rate is 50%, I have $50,000 left. If the billionaire has $10,000,000,000 and his tax rate is 50%... he only has $5 billion dollars left.

....hmmm... preaching to the choir. crazy

Life is Good!
jgw #314066 08/22/19 12:22 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Actually, Medicare A + B + D, versus Medicare Advantage is a case where insurance companies offer competitive health care at a lower price. I have an Advantage plan that costs me nothing, but the Medicare Part B premium and it includes drug coverage equivalent or better than Medicare part D. The one disadvantage is that it is an HMO, so I have to use a certain medical group...exactly the same one I have used for years even with the same Primary Care physician and the same Neurologist!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
The one disadvantage is that it is an HMO, so I have to use a certain medical group...exactly the same one I have used for years even with the same Primary Care physician and the same Neurologist!

That one disadvantage was a big one for us. We were snowbirding in Florida... (6 + 6) when jeanie had a stroke. Very luck, the best surgeon in Florida was giving a talk at the hospital... he operated... 5 hours... and did a miracle carotoid artery surgery that worked.

The bill was $175,000.... Our Illinois HMO doctor refused to honor the medical bills because he hadn't authorized the operation, and had us frantic for three months until the bill was finally settled by insurance.

Life is Good!
itstarted #314069 08/22/19 01:34 AM
old hand
old hand
About medical prescription drugs.

A simple example.....

6.1 Million Americans have AFIB (Atrial Fibrillation). (I'm one)

The most doctor Prescribed Drugs are Xarelto and Eliquis.

The lowest cost per month for either of these drugs... even with Medicare D Plan, is about $480.00 per month. ($5800.oo/yr.

The lower cost drug Coumadin, requires the sufferer to go for shots and blood testing every two weeks.

How long does it take a drug company to recover the development costs?

Is there any limit to the cost of a drug? A May 24 news article:

Zolgensma, a new drug approved by the FDA Friday, costs more than $2.1 million.

(that's one person, one year)

Last edited by itstarted; 08/22/19 01:36 AM.

Life is Good!
jgw #314070 08/22/19 02:44 AM
journeyman
journeyman
I have had AFib since June 2000.

I take Sotalol AF (heart rate), a generic and Warfarin (Coumadin)(blood thinner) another generic. Now I know, this next is because of my insurance but a 180 count (90 day) supply of Solatol AF costs me $3.00. While the Warfarin 5mg costs $7.00 for a 90 day supply. Also, I PT/INR test bi-weekly at home with a CoaguCheck device, like a diabetes testing device (prick the finger, place a drop of blood on the test strip and wait a few seconds for the results and then report them.

Another good thing is Warfarin has a reversal protocol, I forget which of the two you mentioned does not. That means, if I suffer a serious bleed, or they need to quickly cut me, they give me a shot and a few minutes later the effects of Warfarin are gone, and they can get about their business.

Talk to your doctor about changing meds. To change to Soltalol AF you may need to be hospitalized for about 5 days as they dial in your dosage.

Last edited by Ujest Shurly; 08/22/19 02:47 AM.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard