WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
'Ya know, I'm feeling pretty damn good right now about my hometown, Flint, Michigan, as well as my adopted hometown, Houston, Texas. In both cities, the police chief, instead of inflaming the protests, marched with the protesters, and I have seen cops marching with the protesters in both cities instead of firing gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray. In Houston, when a few troublemakers began causing trouble, the police didn't have to control it. The protesters did, and shut it all down yesterday. Makes me damn proud to be living in Houston, and am also damn proud to be able to call call Flint my hometown. Way to go!! Oakland? Los Angeles? Minneapolis? Watch and learn.

C
C
Originally Posted by danarhea
'Ya know, I'm feeling pretty damn good right now about my hometown, Flint, Michigan, as well as my adopted hometown, Houston, Texas. In both cities, the police chief, instead of inflaming the protests, marched with the protesters, and I have seen cops marching with the protesters in both cities instead of firing gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray. In Houston, when a few troublemakers began causing trouble, the police didn't have to control it. The protesters did, and shut it all down yesterday. Makes me damn proud to be living in Houston, and am also damn proud to be able to call call Flint my hometown. Way to go!! Oakland? Los Angeles? Minneapolis? Watch and learn.

I keep waiting for all those great lessons we learned about effective (v ineffective) counterinsurgency to work their way into policing in America. So far, the crossover appears to be fairly slow and minimal frown

But concur with you - the best police forces are able to convince the communities that they stand together against outside opponents (in particular, criminals) who would do them harm.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by CPWILL
Originally Posted by danarhea

I keep waiting for all those great lessons we learned about effective (v ineffective) counterinsurgency to work their way into policing in America. So far, the crossover appears to be fairly slow and minimal frown

But concur with you - the best police forces are able to convince the communities that they stand together against outside opponents (in particular, criminals) who would do them harm.

Those who would do the police harm are actually a very small minority. Believing that all who protest are criminals is frankly racist as hell. And, yes, I am qualified as hell to post what I am posting. I live in the middle of Houston's Third Ward, about 3 blocks from MLK Street. My neighbors are not thugs.

Last edited by danarhea; 06/03/20 01:11 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think there will be a protest in my little town. It will be small and orderly. Just like my little town. Our police chief is a tall athletic black man who is loved by everyone who ever met him. Even the people he arrested.

There might be a blurb in the local mullet wrapper about the protest, there might not. Our police department has always been a part of the community.

It takes a special kind of person to be a policeman. I sure couldn't do it.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
It sounds great. However, I have been watching TV and noticed that even when the police try to join up there are those, on the other side, that are flat out determined to not make that real easy. I have seen teen-age girls literally screaming at a police chief when all he is trying to do is understand and join in. I suspect there are a number of folks who have witnessed this. It kinda reminds me of the Democratic purists.

I think there are purists on both sides. The Dems have their purists and the Republicans have their "don't give an inchers". When it all boils down they seem to all be on the same page.

Last edited by jgw; 06/03/20 06:50 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
So who are the Democratic purists?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The ex said there were upwards of a thousand people. Impassioned speeches on the city hall lawn, everything peaceful and orderly.

With just a little luck all this protesting and demonstrating might make the next cop who wants really bad to torture, maim, or kill a black person think twice before he pulls the trigger...

journeyman
journeyman
Yea. If any city has cause to riot and burn it all down, Flint does! Republicans really F****D the people of Flint, poisoned them and then made like who ME!? It will take 50, 75 years or more for all traces of that economic measure to finally go away.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

Link Copied to Clipboard