WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
enthusiast
enthusiast
This election was certainly a mixed bag. Biden will be the next president. The senate probably will remain in GOP hands. 49-48 at last counting with the 2 Georgia races and North Carolina undecided at this point. One of Georgia's senate races will go to a runoff on 5 Jan 2021, the second one is looking likely to do the same. Tillis lead in North Carolina in my opinion will hold up giving the GOP a 50-48 advantage in the senate with the two Georgia seats having a runoff.

In the House, the Republicans will pick up 8-12 seats. It seems the voters, the public as a whole didn't know what they wanted. I assumed Biden would win fairly easily, that assumption, while Biden will win, the fairly easy part is making an ass of me which assumptions do fairly often.

I also gave the senate to the democrats with pickups in Arizona, Colorado, which happened, but also Maine, Iowa and North Carolina, which Maine and Iowa didn't and North Carolina looks like it won't either.

I also figured the Democrats would gain 5-10 seats in the house, they're going to lose that many. Mixed results, indecision to be sure.

Perhaps 2020 was a reputation of both major parties agenda. A vote in which the people as a whole said we want Biden, but we don't want the Democratic Party to be in full charge. Hence the probability of the senate remaining in GOP hands and the pickup of 8-12 seats in the house by Republicans. Perhaps this was a vote for divided government?

I won't draw any conclusions until everything comes official. Perhaps 2020 was a vote to keep folks in their comfort zones. More later.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Assuming he retains control of the Senate, McConnell can obstruct any new legislation he wants, but Trump did not actually pass a lot of laws. He did almost everything by Executive Orders and temporary appointments. Biden can undo those on Day One. So we would be right back to the situation under Obama.

Then Biden can appoint qualified people to head departments, and for cabinet positions. McConnell could refuse to confirm Biden's cabinet nominees, but Biden would have scores of good people for each post. McConnell would start to look more and more like an a-hole, trying to sabotage the American government.

Then Biden could issue as many Executive Orders as he wanted. He will actually have very competent lawyers who can craft them to be constitutional, so they have little chance of being rejected by the courts. His people at the White House will actually follow the correct procedures, so the courts will not be able to fault the process, as was so common for Trump's orders.

So the Biden term in office will be very much like Obama's. Apparently, voters just wanted to get rid of Trump, but not for Biden to pass laws that change things a lot.

J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
No sense getting upset with Do Nothing Mitch. This is, exactly, what he did with Obama! Not only that but he stuck to it and so Obama didn't pass much and did a lot of decrees, just like our national jackass Trump does now. The difference is that Obama didn't have a choice as Mitch blocked any of his legislation. Hopefully, when it all shakes out, Mitch will have fewer senators to rule over and maybe Biden can get something done.

Not betting on that, however...........

Schlack Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Biden within 10K in GA, 100K 95K in PA

Last edited by Schlack; 11/05/20 09:57 PM.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

veteran
veteran
McConnell could refuse to confirm Biden's cabinet nominees, but Biden would have scores of good people for each post. McConnell would start to look more and more like an a-hole, trying to sabotage the American government.
What makes you think any of these type Republicans give a flying rats frak how they are perceived???? Just as in 2016, they have the power and they will use it.

Biden could issue as many Executive Orders
You can't govern a country on EO's.

Should you now think that a presumptive Biden could do things the same way as Mr Trump ... well you would be wrong and incorrect. They will in the most hypocritical way condemn and criticize a presumptive pres Biden and you will not even notice their hypocrisy. If you think Republicans are the same kind of animal as Democrats ... well I don't think so

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
You realize Republicans are your new political boyfriend don’t you? They were given more time at the Dem convention and a Republican heiress is running the Biden transition team.
I guess you didn’t get the memo reporter? Your party is the Republican Party from a decade ago.

C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Biden was a ‘nothing will change’ candidate that some would say was disaster for down ballot races.

That managerial class competency that was supposed to deliver the senate and make such gain in the house is going to be in the White House with Biden? They burned, what was it? 45 million to ‘ditch Mitch’ that they knew was a scam but harangued their donors to give anyway?

What’d I read recently. Dems spent over 400 million on half a dozen failed races alone?

Hoo boy...., Libs really drink their own cool aid. Competency indeed

I find it hilarious that Robby Mook was attached to the PAC that was organized to deliver house districts to the Dem column. The guy who had a hand in Iowa Voter suppression, burns a pile of money in the general and will never be held accountable. Same guy who ran that sh!t show of a Clinton campaign in 2016.

Dem ‘competency‘ never self reflects or get held to account. It just deflects their failures onto the left, voters or Russia.

One last nugget.. Republicans are in as strong a position at the state level as ever. Can’t wait for redistricting....

Competency...., HAH!

Last edited by chunkstyle; 11/06/20 01:17 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Governing by executive order is what we've had since 2010. Yep, Biden can undo all of them if the courts let him. There's a precedence with DACA for the courts letting a former president's EO stay in effect.

Senate wise, as of tonight, 49-48 still. North Carolina, Tillis will make 50 the number of GOP senators once it's called. It looks like all eyes will be on Georgia come 5 Jan 2021. Purdue is just shy of the mandatory 50% plus one vote so we'll have two runoff senate elections on the 5th.

Biden is now within 3,000 here in Georgia. The remaining 30,000 or so ballots yet to be counted are from heavily democratic areas. Time will tell. I'm pretty sure Biden will pull it out, then a recount and all sorts of challenges.

Last edited by perotista; 11/06/20 01:35 AM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
No one has mentioned the House as of yet, if they did, I missed it. Old House was 237 Democrats, 197 Republicans, 1 independent. So far in the house races called it is 208 Democratic, 193 Republican with 34 to be called. So far the republicans have flipped 5 democratic seats and the independent seat for a net gain of 6 with 34 races still pending.

To show you how unique this and the last election was involving Trump. Trump in 2016 and Biden 2020 will be the first candidates to win the presidency while losing seats in the house since the 1884 election of Grover Cleveland who's party also lost house seats while winning the presidency.

The Democrats lost 18 seats in the 1884 election of Cleveland, the GOP lost 5 seats in the election of Trump in 2016 while if the trend continues, the Democrats will lose at least 5 seats and perhaps more with the election of Biden this year.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Biden is down by 463 votes now in Georgia, with more than 24,500 big city ballots left to count. He's down about 18042 votes in Pennsylvania with about 196,600 mail-in ballots left to count. He's ahead by 11,000 votes in Nevada, with about 180,000 mail-in ballots to count.

If Trump got all the counting stopped right now, Biden would win. But I doubt he can. Nevada says they won't be done with arriving election day post-marked mail-in ballots until the 12th. So I guess it's a race between Georgia and Pennsylvania to see which one crowns Biden the winner.

I think it will be Georgia on Friday. Any predictions, folks?

BTW: Mail-in overseas military ballots probably won't make much difference. Service people do tend to be conservative, but many are offended by "Losers and Suckers". Also, many have residence in Texas or Florida, because those states have no income tax. Their votes won't change Texas' or Florida's Trump win.

Last edited by pondering_it_all; 11/06/20 09:18 AM.
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  Doug Thompson, Greger, NW Ponderer 

Link Copied to Clipboard