WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I wore masks away from home until I was vaccinated. Then I generally dropped them until delta brought us joy.

Now I’m having a discussion with a family member. She has dropped masks entirely, because she “doesn’t give a damn about people who are too stupid to get vaccinated.” We’re submitting our questions to the family epidemiologist.

In the meantime, I’m curious. (Obviously I realize these are personal questions; I understand if you’re not interested in responding.). I am asking for your personal thoughts/actions The thinking behind your decisions is always welcome.

1) Are you currently wearing a mask
a. At work
b. Away from home
c. Around large groups of people
d Not at all, or only when required

2) If you are currently wearing a mask, what circumstances would make you comfortable to stop wearing it?

3) If you are not wearing a mask,what would prompt you to start again?

I’ve assumed that everyone here is vaccinated, but I realize there are various reasons that may not be true.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I am fully vaccinated, and have been since March. Like you, I was SO relieved when the CDC announced that masks were no longer required among similarly vaccinated individuals, and even hosted a dinner party celebrating that fact. I was chagrined when masks came back into vogue.

We have returned to almost the same level of masking as before vaccination, although I will admit to being more sanguine about it at home - for example, I had a friend over to do some handyman work and he took off his mask while working under the sink. (I kept mine on, even though we are both vaccinated.) We don't mask around our son, even though he works outside of the house, and amongst unvaccinated coworkers. He's a monk about masking at work because of that.

In my view, it is a matter of ameliorating - not eliminating - risk. In most public settings, I mask religiously, even outdoors, because I have no idea what kind of people I am coming into contact with. Delta is rampant in my county, and we now have a higher incidence of positive cases than at any time since the pandemic began. We recently canceled our Disney vacation (boy was that painful) because it doesn't make sense to go into an environment like Florida at this point in time. But, I am more lax at home than I have been.

I'm looking forward to mandated vaccinations.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
BTW, my wife's grand-nephew caught COVID his first week of school. He's 11 1/2. Doing better, but spiked a 103° fever. Very worrying.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hope your wife's grand-nephew recovers fully. Please keep us posted. There's been a lot of discussion lately about kids having some symptoms for a long time. Reopening schools without following CDC recommendations is a primary driver of our current surge.

I'm pretty sure my wife and I had Covid in March 2020, and are fully vaccinated. So we should have the strongest immunity possible, but we still always mask away from home, never eat in restaurants, sterilize groceries, or let them sit untouched for a few days. If we did get infected again, I'm pretty sure it would be minor cases but the best Covid is no Covid at all.

We are VERY fortunate to have a 10 acre country home, so we can spend a lot of time outside unmasked with complete security.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nephew doing better. I read this morning that under 12 infections have gone up 240% - I think over the month. I'll find a link.

veteran
veteran
Glad your nephew is better!

We were fully vaxed by early February. The town was pretty much shut down but we still wore masks to shop, etc. That said it was nice to be around others you knew were vaccinated and you could unmask for a little while.....family, friends, we even did a couple of happy hours.

When UGA started in person classes, K-12 started and delta hit, our cases came back with a roar.

We're back to going nowhere and full masking. No vacations for a year and a half.
Mostly because I want this damn thing to stop! I want to do my part and not make anybody sick!

Boy do I miss the music and the festivals and the restaurants!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't wear a mask. I'm vaccinated. I don't work or shop and have everything delivered.

I eat out once a year on my birthday. I haven't been in a car in 4 months.

All outdoor activities are safely distanced.

But if I did have to be indoors with strangers I would absolutely wear a mask!

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I will be going to an outdoor concert on Thursday. Reserved seats will be spaced. Haven’t decided whether to mask or not. I’m fairly sure my friend will not. I think I’ll take one with me and decide when I see the audience. Whatever I do will be weird, as I haven’t been around that many people in a long time..

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would mask for my own safety. One never knows when the guy safely distanced beside you might be spewing fumes of foul virus-laden effluvium. When that one moist particle might get caught by the mask and save your life.

Take some vitamin D before you go too.

But I'd stop short of Ivermectin. Though some around you will have coursing through their systems.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
journeyman
journeyman
Welcome back Mellowicious.

Wear a mask.

Even the vaccinated can carry and transmit a pathogen, the mask(s) add an extra layer or two of protection.

Studies have shown that the viral load of the vaccinated is higher than the unvaccinated. Vaccinated - more resistant to the downside effects of the virus. Unvaccinated - more susceptible to the downside, therefore more hospitalizations and death for this group.

Additionally, last I heard, the vaccinated, when they do have a break through case, suffer less from the virus and the chance of death is nil.

Ivermectin is an antiparasitic, it kills a certain type of parasitic plant or animal. Just like Hydroxychloroquine is an antiparasitic, it kills the protozoan that causes Malaria. Since the Virus is not a plant nor an animal, why take an antiparasitic.

To the best of my poor knowledge, if anything, a virus is an alien form of life that is not based on DNA but on RNA and has a very different reproductive or life cycle from DNA based life. At least this is my guesstimate from what little I understand or my opinion.

Last edited by Ujest Shurly; 09/15/21 06:41 PM.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard