WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The only way I would consider not masking at a concert, is if there was a steady wind and I was on the upwind edge of the audience. There are so many people infected but asymptomatic now, being in a crowd for an hour or more is a real crap-shoot.

The claim that vaccinated people shed more virus than the unvaccinated is based on PCR measurements of nasal RNA. NOT from culturing "live" virus they are shedding. Some other studies found the vaccinated shed less nucleocapsid, which correlates with "live" virus. This is probably the result of virus RNA fragments being shed after the virus has been successfully attacked by the vaccinated subject's immune system. So vaccinated people are much less likely to spread the virus. Some other studies also ran PCR tests on people for several days, and found the vaccinated stopped shedding that RNA much faster.

There are all sorts of viruses: DNA and RNA. Double-stranded and single-stranded. Positive sense and negative sense, which refers to how the strand gets decoded. There are even circular strand viruses!

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
journeyman
journeyman
"There are all sorts of viruses: DNA and RNA. Double-stranded and single-stranded. Positive sense and negative sense, which refers to how the strand gets decoded. There are even circular strand viruses!"

Well, learn something new every day.

My point about viral load is that the vaccinated and those with natural immunity can withstand a heavier exposure, than the unvaccinated. Also, the vaccinated/natural immunity can be a carrier for the virus and spread it. But why risk it...

I am vaccinated, may have had COVID, thus maybe natural immunity to boot, tested negative by the time the appointment came around. Was shooting for an antibody test, but the first jab became available, so guess what I did...

Anyway, depending on the situation wear a mask, it is the new why risk it.

Vote 2022!

Life is like a PB&J sandwich. The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I had fully intended to wear a mask. The friend I’m going with said she doesn’t wear masks any more (since vaccination) and doesn’t intend to start again; she’s fed to the teeth with those who aren’t vaccinated and doesn’t really care what happens to them.

I understand her position but it does seem a bit harsh.

It is an outdoor concert, the tickets we bought are in the socially-distanced section, and I rather expect it be lightly attended. I told my friend I would likely wear a mask and she promised not to get all “judgy” about it.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
veteran
veteran
Julia, I can actually feel her anger. Me too! Me too! Me too!
I am super pissed off at these people too. A couple of them very close to me. I don't understand the I've gotta be free thing in terms of this. We share SPACE with other people. It's not just all about you.

My reason for continuing to mask and stay away from social events is because I want this shite to go away! I feel like I'm wasting time that I don't have to waste.. If everybody would just do the right thing.
Btw, did I mention I hate wearing a mask too?

But that said, I congratulate you for finally going to an outdoor concert. Please thoroughly enjoy it, my friend.
I trust you to do what you think is safe for all involved.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Olive, you pretty much echoed the epidemiologist: if for no other reason, mask up to protect others and HELP GET THIS SHITE OVER WITH!

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by olyve
Glad your nephew is better!

We were fully vaxed by early February. The town was pretty much shut down but we still wore masks to shop, etc. That said it was nice to be around others you knew were vaccinated and you could unmask for a little while.....family, friends, we even did a couple of happy hours.

When UGA started in person classes, K-12 started and delta hit, our cases came back with a roar.

We're back to going nowhere and full masking. No vacations for a year and a half.
Mostly because I want this damn thing to stop! I want to do my part and not make anybody sick!

Boy do I miss the music and the festivals and the restaurants!

My wife and I are supposed to be "Guests of Honor" for the Grand Reopening of Leon's "Church Studio" in Tulsa, OK.

[Linked Image from bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com]

But having a near death experience from COVID in February 2020 has turned me from an adventurous soul who is up for a road trip anywhere on a moment's notice, into a very cautious and broken down old man, and I'm sure I wouldn't survive even a mild reinfection, and I won't risk Karen getting it again either, even a mild breakthrough infection.
So after years of planning and high expectations, we may have to beg off...unless by some miracle, that part of the country finally pulls their heads out of their butts and turns into a highly vaccinated town full of common sense.
It's going to pretty much break my heart if we can't go.

It may also be the last time we will ever get to see so many of our distant but faithful friends, fellow "LeonLifers" that we interact with almost every day. Some of them may not live to see 2023 or beyond. Also, since our original "LeonLifer Mama" passed away (old age) Church Studio owner Teresa Knox is now the new Lifer Mama, and promises that annual Lifer Bashes are planned for the future.
But if this first reimagined LeonLifer Bash is a dud with few in attendance, that may fall apart, which would be another tragic turn of events because already younger generations are showing up in our fan clubs because they've now discovered Leon's music and his history, and they're intrigued.

God Almighty, please get the shots, y'all.

[Linked Image from cdn.citatis.com]

Last edited by Jeffery J. Haas; 09/17/21 02:16 AM.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
They reviewed a good paper on TWIV the other day. Tons of data looking at a comparison of live Alpha and Delta variants in cell cultures. So they do now have actual data about Delta invading cells quicker and replicating faster to produce more virus. Of course, this is in cell cultures, and those cultures do not have an immune system! And those cells are from the kidney of an African green monkey, and are used because very few primate cell lines can be grown in cultures.

But still, this is the first confirmation by experiments that Delta probably spreads better than earlier variants. The idea that it is more virulent has been found to be false. If you are not immune and hospitalized for a Delta infection, it is about the same as being hospitalized for any other variant. There are a lot of people who have been infected previously or vaccinated now, and doctors know a lot more about treating Covid patients, so your chances of dying are much lower these days. We also have MABs, which can be VERY effective if you can get them soon enough.

Most deaths are from the unvaccinated, and these folks tend to deny they have Covid until MABS can't help.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
1 member likes this: pdx rick
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard