WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Greger #338098 11/08/21 03:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
One of the very few things we agree on besides the stupidity of American voters.
It's always good to start with agreement.

This is the bill that should have passed months ago with little fanfare. This should have led to other targeted popular legislation, which should have attracted bipartisan support, which would have lessened division and brought the country together, and made future legislation possible.

And so, through your assessment, Democrats are poised to do well next November! Pero and I are completely misreading every single issue and so far nothing stands in the way of democrats keeping the House and Senate in 2022 and Biden's re-election in 2024.
Of course I never said that. Indeed, quite the opposite. The winds are always against the incumbent party in an off-year election. gerrymandering and geography are also tilted strongly against a "Democratic miracle". All I was saying was, if they wanted a chance to be successful in 2022 and in 2024, they need to show they can pass meaningful legislation. Collectively, Manchin and Sinema in the Senate, and progressives in the House have stood in the way of accomplishing that. Both are "real Democrats", they just are ham-fisted when it comes to legislative priorities, and not very strategically-oriented.

There is one other thing that we apparently agree on, my friend: "Republicans are evil." wink

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
NW Ponderer #338099 11/08/21 03:50 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The time for moving slowly forward has passed. We've been in "deferred maintenance" in this country for half a century and it is showing, big time. Times are getting desperate. Climate change, disease, and failing infrastructure - physical and social - are real, and they are getting worse. People need to be reminded of that.

Perhaps you can remind folks that vaccinations are a good idea too? And while you're at it remind them that Democrats have their best interests at heart and only want to help them? And please mention that all conservatives should be locked up and we'll only raise taxes on the rich...

Point out the importance of passing the infrastructure bill, free college, healthcare and monthly checks! Daycare, adult care, free bread and circuses! Just tell them science and the law are on your side.
Remind them about carbon sequestration and global warming too, most have probably forgotten about that. And also tell them not to listen to Tucker Carlson. Tune in to CNN for the TRUTH...

There's a red wave coming. Unless gasoline prices drop drastically and quickly. Unless grocery prices fall noticeably in the next six months. All your reminders will fall on deaf ears.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #338100 11/08/21 03:55 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Democrats are also evil. Different, but no less evil. Two right wings flapping in a death spiral.

Greger #338101 11/08/21 04:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Greger #338102 11/08/21 04:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Democrats are also evil. Different, but no less evil. Two right wings flapping in a death spiral.
It's a death spiral because only one side is flapping. wink Gums, mostly. Not equally evil, my friend. The GOP is infested with a particular and ancient evil. Democrats are feckless, but well meaning. There's a difference.

I'm encouraged that 19 House members voted against their party on the infrastructure bill, and it passed. It indicates there is some overlap in priorities.

NW Ponderer #338103 11/08/21 04:42 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
They are neither feckless nor well-meaning. they serve Our Corporate Overlordsâ„¢ as surely as the other. They just pretend to work for liberals instead of conservatives.

As long as marketing forces continue to pit the pitchforks against the torches the ruling class will continue to exploit them both.

NW Ponderer #338104 11/08/21 04:46 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, there's a paywall. So spill...what's the one thing that will keep Old Joe in office?

NW Ponderer #338127 11/09/21 09:30 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm encouraged that 19 House members voted against their party on the infrastructure bill, and it passed. It indicates there is some overlap in priorities.

Not really: The Democrats voting against it fall into two very distinct camps. Some voted against it because they think it does too much. Others voted against it because they think it does too little. Most Republicans voted against it because most Democrats voted for it.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.
Greger #338128 11/09/21 03:10 PM
old hand
old hand
Good Morning. You guys never change. I am old enough to remember when it was OK to be from the other party. When decisions were made based on ideas rather than ideology. I worked local politics for 30 years, won some and lost some, but I was friendly with all of the candidates.

The Dems are a fractured group right now. They have the loud mouths on the left who want to spend, spend and spend some more. They have the previously quiet group on the right (in the center?) who have just found their voices. They don’t like each other, so the liberal wing did everything that they could to undermine the centrists. It has been odd to watch, kind of like watching a bunch of rabid dogs go at each other. The President, in typical Dem fashion, sided with the wrong side. He forgot that America is fundamentally Center Right/Left country.

The Prez has a lot of issues he has to fix and not a whole lot of help fixing them. Immigration, pandemic, but most importantly, expectations of the people who elected him. He was elected as a centrist. He promised to be a centrist and he has performed as a liberal lemming. In politics, self-inflicted wounds are rarely forgiven. The Prez has shot himself in the foot, hand and ass too often to get a pass. He lied to the electorate, as all politicians do, but he told the whopper of them to get elected, he said he would be a Centrist. Once elected he thought he could do as he wanted to do, and about 38% of the country agrees with him I guess. He is truly screwed right now and doesn’t have a handy Donald Trump to bail him out.

Now I admit that I am enjoying the show, that watching Joe Biden be the Joe Biden that we all knew and loved for years has been refreshing, but the country needs leadership, competent leadership. Joe Biden was never the most savvy politician, he was actually kind of a punch line for much of his senatorial career. He was clunky, and tone deaf and kind of grabby around the girls, but 30+ years in the Senate buys you a lot of grace. Now that he has the attention of the whole country he is failing to understand his mandate. America doesn’t want an ideolog telling them what to do, America wants a President who represents THEM. Trump, for as big a moron as he is, was correct. The people want the President to protect America first, then the rest of the world as necessary. Biden doesn’t have a whole lot of time to turn it around, and his performance this week tells me that he will not accomplish that turn around, but if he grows a backbone and starts to assert judgement, he can salvage something.

Tim

A proud member of the Vast Right-wing Conspiracy, Massachusetts Chapter

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson
Ma_Republican #338129 11/09/21 03:50 PM
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Good Morning, MA Republican!
That's a pretty astute assessment of the current administration and situation.

Biden should have continued to play hard centrist. I wouldn't have liked it because I'm a mouthy lefty, but it would have put Democrats in a better place moving forward.

I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Depends a lot on what Republicans choose to do with their power once they regain it.

You still up Boston way? I thought you were retiring to Florida

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard