WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 06:25 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 03:27 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,397 my own book page
5,016,220 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,478 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,284
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,782
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
veteran
Writers choose their words carefully, and I have a thing about words as well, so I noticed that Doug refers to the Veep as a woman of color, and to President Obama as a man of mixed. race.

Honest question here, no trap - is there a difference between those two phrases, or was Doug simply trying to avoid repetition?

I ask because I haven’t heard “mixed race” in a long time.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I haven’t heard “mixed race” in a long time.

That's odd because there are so many mixed-race people these days and almost all identify as people of color. I don't think Harris identifies as Black, even though others might see her that way.

Obama on the other hand seems to identify as Black even though he is mixed and raised mostly by his white family.

In the greater scheme of things, it makes less and less difference every year as the stigma around inter-racial breeding/fraternizing has mostly gone away. As time goes on there will be less and less need to define folks by race as well as by name.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
I agree that the actuality becomes less and less of an issue. I also know that a large number of American black people have white and/or Native American family history, so “mixed” ( a phrase I admit rankles me a little bit) is the norm.

The stigma, however, continues to be of real importance as Americans struggle with our language and our history. Things are going to be prickly for a while as we all come to terms.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We are a "mixed race" society, and always have been. Unfortunately, there have also always been those who see "race" as a distinguishing characteristic of humanity. It is a social construct, usually with an economic/political effect/purpose.

In the past, "racists" were not specifically associated with a particular party or platform. Ironically, that changed with the advent of the Republican party. At that time, Republicans were the champions of racial equality, and Democrats were (generally) the ones resisting that change. That condition prevailed well into the 20th Century - Woodrow Wilson was one of the most overt about it, but there were members on both sides of the aisle that took either view on the issues of race and equality.

It was the advent of the the Civil Rights movement of the 60s that changed the matrix. As a result, the racists were concentrated into one party. By the time Nixon ran, the consolidation was complete. Over the intervening years, we progressed from the soft racism of Reagan (and boy was he bigoted), to the overt racism of Trump, but the underlying policy was the same, as Doug points out.

Trump, though, released the bigotry and made it acceptable, rather than talked about in low voices. Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham just blast it out without constraint.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
I agree that the actuality becomes less and less of an issue. I also know that a large number of American black people have white and/or Native American family history, so “mixed” ( a phrase I admit rankles me a little bit) is the norm.

The stigma, however, continues to be of real importance as Americans struggle with our language and our history. Things are going to be prickly for a while as we all come to terms.
We're all mixed! I have no idea how to describe "race" anyway, although I'm about as "European" as one might find - yet, I have, according to DNA testing, about 1% "Cameroon/Bantu" DNA. I guess I've been "passing" all of my life...

What is good about "mixed" descriptor is that it is ambiguous. I like that ambiguity. I think it presages the obsolescence of the concept of "race" altogether.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
There is another way to talk about Indians (feather). I had a stepmother who insisted that there were a lot of bands of Indians who looked just like White People. Her feeling was that these people may think they were Indians, and their band/tribe thinks they are Indians they are really white people!

I always thought that was kinda interesting. I can also remember a time when there were people of color passing as white people as well. So, when one takes it all in, and makes a judgement on race based on how a person looks one can only wonder. Is, for instance, a black person who looks white really black or are they white?

I should add that I literally don't give a damn when it comes to somebody's skin color. Seems to be a complete and utter waste of time to me. On the other hand, folks that are concerned about it all are dealing with some pretty tricky stuff. I may have told this but, my son (going on 60 years old) told me that I taught him to treat everybody with different skin color the same (just like anybody else). He does but, now, when he does he has had black people insisting that he treat them as whatever their skin color is. I told him to just keep treating them like everybody else and they can deal with it. I think my problem is that I haven't ever figured out what the hell everybody is so upset about. If somebody doesn't want to hurt me or mine I, literally, don't care what their skin color, religion, or the size of their nose is. Never has made any sense to me.

veteran
veteran
Gentlemen: pardon me but - my question ain’t about you.

It isn’t about you genetic makeup, it’ isn’t about how you treat people who are different from you. It isn’t about you at all.

It’s about the phrases “woman of color” and “man of mixed race,” whether they are equal or different, and if they are different, why or how.

It ain’t about you. It’s about th3 Veep and the Presidentand what they are called.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Gentlemen: pardon me but - my question ain’t about you.

It isn’t about you genetic makeup, it’ isn’t about how you treat people who are different from you. It isn’t about you at all.

It’s about the phrases “woman of color” and “man of mixed race,” whether they are equal or different, and if they are different, why or how.

It ain’t about you. It’s about th3 Veep and the President and what they are called.
With respect, that is what I was responding to. It's why I said "What is good about "mixed" descriptor is that it is ambiguous. I like that ambiguity. I think it presages the obsolescence of the concept of "race" altogether."

But you are not alone in this dilemma: The Kamala Harris identity debate shows how America still struggles to talk about multiracial people Identity is complicated, and she shouldn’t have to choose just one. (Vox) "For multiracial people, defining their racial identity in America can be a complex and fraught issue because of other people’s assumptions and expectations. And what the energy expended on debating Harris’s identity tells us is that we still have a long way to go when it comes to talking about multiracial people in America."

I would never insult anyone for their heritage. Indeed, I'm quite sensitive to others' preferences about themselves. I usually ask what they prefer, whether it is a racial, gender, heritage or any other preference (as an advocate for the LGBTQ+ community, it is an absolute necessity). It is a particularly salient topic in the Latinx/Hispanic community as well. In this case, the particular descriptors Doug used in his commentary were also explicitly used by those two individuals in their descriptions of themselves, so I personally wouldn't sweat it.

Although I prefer the "bi- or multi-racial" approach, as less pejorative in connotation, this is a fairly new issue "The 2000 Census was the first time the government provided mixed-race Americans the opportunity to claim all aspects of their heritage. That year, only 2.4 percent of the population checked multiple boxes, but in California (true to its bell-weather status), 4.7 percent of the total population embraced their mixed racial heritage. More remarkable in that data was the finding that among children under age five in California, 8.4 percent were multi-racial." Mixed Like Me: Obama’s Speech Hits Mixed-Race ChordMixed (American Progress)

In our not-so-distant history (my lifetime), literal segregation by arbitrary racial designation was still legal, so I'd be particularly mindful of which aspects of an individual's heritage they prefer to accentuate.

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 03/11/22 01:39 AM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It’s about th3 Veep and the President and what they are called.

To answer the question then, no, I don't think the terms are different. If they are rearranged in the other order. a man of color and a woman of mixed race it works just as well.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
Sorry; my hands aren’t working so a response is taking awhile.

Here’s what I don’t like about “mixed race.”
* White people are generally not referred to as “mixed race.” I am Scottish, Irish, and Bohemian, but no one has ever referred to me as “mixed.”
* Use of the word “race” to describe a person will put you on generally very sticky ground, as races do not exist scientifically and a permanent definition doesn’t seem to be generally achieved.
* I read both links, and did not see the phrase mixed race used by anyone but the author.

One last note (sorry, I had a new dental crown today) - if you want to refer to Native Americans, I suggest you toss the “Indian (feather)” approach.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard