WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 59 of 86 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 85 86
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Kaine
I know what they said about Mr. Biden being the only one that could have beaten Mr. Trump in 2020. I don't believe it! People were tired of Trump. I think if they voted for Biden, they would have voted for any democrat, just to get away from Trump.

I still believe that. In 2024, if Trump runs again, I still think any democrat has as good of a chance of winning as Biden does. I actually also think, that if Trump runs in 2024, that Biden could very well be the weakest democratic opponent. A lot of people do not want Biden to run again in 2024 - including me.

Democratic Party Shenanigans forced Joe Biden on us. Now we have a weak, senile old man in the Whitehouse and a tanking economy.

We coulda had Bernie, Beto, or Liz in charge.....

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
Ask Pero. The ONLY Dem that could have won, did win.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
Originally Posted by Kaine
I know what they said about Mr. Biden being the only one that could have beaten Mr. Trump in 2020. I don't believe it! People were tired of Trump. I think if they voted for Biden, they would have voted for any democrat, just to get away from Trump.

I still believe that. In 2024, if Trump runs again, I still think any democrat has as good of a chance of winning as Biden does. I actually also think, that if Trump runs in 2024, that Biden could very well be the weakest democratic opponent. A lot of people do not want Biden to run again in 2024 - including me.

Democratic Party Shenanigans forced Joe Biden on us. Now we have a weak, senile old man in the Whitehouse and a tanking economy.

A lot of us A LOT, voted for Bernie, or even Liz.
Liz did not garner enough votes, no shenanigans, she just didn't have the secret sauce.
And Bernie was not a Democrat...I realize he voted WITH Democrats but he repeatedly made the point that he WASN'T.
So should GM start helping FORD make cars because both brands have steering wheels?
Should the Redskins be shepherding Tom Brady into pinch hitting as temp QB but only when they play the Cowboys?

I was devastated when Bernie lost the primaries both times.
But I don't blame the DNC. Bernie counted on the youth vote which, by the way, failed to SHOW UP!

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
enthusiast
enthusiast
When gauging independents, Biden was a safe bet to beat Trump. I was going by favorable/unfavorable ratings of the candidates as history has shown folks usually won’t vote for a candidate they view unfavorably or dislike along with several other factors.

It was a no brainier that Biden would win the independent vote and he did by a huge margin of 13 points. Also remember the Republican Party was and is still the smaller of the two major parties, they must win the independent vote or lose the election. Nationally that is. Also remember, the number one priority of democrats at the time was to defeat Trump. Everything else was secondary if not downright irrelevant. I also said since the Democrats didn’t run another candidate, we’ll never know if they could have beaten Trump or not since it didn’t happen. Going by favorable/unfavorable ratings and past voting habits along with different categories of who people would consider voting for and who wouldn’t even consider. All other candidates except Biden were very iffy as to their chances of beating Trump.

Last edited by perotista; 10/30/22 07:43 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by perotista
When gauging independents, Biden was a safe bet to beat Trump. I was going by favorable/unfavorable ratings of the candidates as history has shown folks usually won’t vote for a candidate they view unfavorably or dislike along with several other factors.

On this there is no way I could argue otherwise, it was the fear that "the one THING" would crop up which might sink the Dem candidate's chances. Didn't matter what "the one THING" was either, just that the Dem candidate could not afford to HAVE one "thing" and Joe was plain and boring enough that he didn't HAVE any "thing" to pounce on.

Sad that this is the state of affairs but it is what it is.
I'm not quite sure it's that stultified this time around but it sure was in 2016/2020.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
1 member likes this: perotista
enthusiast
enthusiast
Exactly. 2020 boiled down for independents to rude, uncouth, obnoxious, very dislikable spoiled brat with his name calling and throwing of temper tantrums, very unpresidential behavior against a likable, but old, dour, uninspiring, unenthusiastic but very much an adult withpresidential behavior. There really wasn’t much there in Biden for the Republicans to latch onto and throw out there to make independents dislike him. Sure, Biden was gaffe prone, but that was part of his charm. Biden in my opinion was the ideal candidate to take on Trump and win the independent vote soundly which is what happened.

There were 7 million ticket splitters in 2020, 7 million who voted for Biden for the presidency and then voted Republican down ballot. I don’t know of any other candidate running in 2020 for the democratic nomination who could have received those 7 million down ballot Republican votes at the top of the ticket. Biden was not only likeable, very important in an election, his persona and past reflected a coolness and calm which independent voters yearned for after Trump. A return to normalcy, bringing back some sanity to the office of the president. That is why in my opinion Biden was able to gain a huge 13-point advantage among independents. In 2020, Biden was the ideal candidate to beat Trump.

After all, you can either nominate the candidate with the best chance of winning an election or make a statement with a candidate with a much lesser chance of winning. I'm all about winning elections. Let other make their statements.

Last edited by perotista; 10/30/22 10:53 PM.

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Interesting article:

Preview - The results indicate a deeply volatile and unpredictable Senate contest: More people across three of the states surveyed said they wanted Republicans to gain control of the Senate, but they preferred the individual Democratic candidates in their states — a sign that Republicans may be hampered by the shortcomings of their nominees.

Senate Control Hinges on Neck-and-Neck Races, Times/Siena Poll Finds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-control-hinges-neck-neck-115318076.html

All Thanks to Trump choosing the GOP nominees in his tirst for revenge. Revenge against Republicans, not Democrats. As I said, Trump has been the Democrats greatest asset going into this year's midterms.

Last edited by perotista; 10/31/22 02:26 PM.

CHB-OG
OP Offline
CHB-OG
As long as the Dems control the Senate for judge appointments - I'm good. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

enthusiast
enthusiast
Rick, going by today’s numbers, a 50-50 senate split is still the likeliest outcome. But with a week to go with the momentum apparently on the GOP’s side, who knows? Today’s numbers suggest D Fetterman wins in PA, R Laxalt wins in NV, those two states change parties. AZ stays with the Democrats while I expect GA to go to a runoff election to occur on 6 Dec if neither Warnock nor Walker receive 50% plus one vote on 8 Nov. Libertarian Chase Oliver is polling around 3-4%, which in my opinion makes the runoff inevitable if his numbers hold. If today’s numbers hold through election day, whoever wins GA in the runoff will control the senate. Lots of if’s. But the party that now holds the other senate seats seems they’ll keep them.

In which case if I hit the senate right and we do have a runoff in GA, I expect another billion dollars to be spent on it like both parties did in Jan 2021 runoff. Luckily, I stream all my shows and movies now, I don’t turn on live TV, so that’s a billion dollars wasted on me.

The house, most forecasters, pundits, prognosticators are now saying they envision a GOP gain of 20-25 seats. Mine is still 11-13, but I’m waiting on new data and information as most of what I have on the house races is a week old. It doesn’t matter who’s correct on this, the Republicans are going to regain control of the house.

enthusiast
enthusiast
New Data received.

Perotista’s Senate and House forecast, updated 1 Nov 2022

Senate +1-3 equals lean, but within the MOE. These states are very competitive with one party or candidate having a slight advantage. +4-6 outside the MOE, equals likely but still competitive. +7 and above, those states aren’t listed. They’re considered solid or safe for the party that currently holds them.

Senate changes – AZ D Kelly down from +5 to +4, GA D Warnock down from +3 to *0, FL R Rubio up from +5 to +6, NH D Hassan down from +6 to +5, NC R Budd up from +2 to +3, OH R Vance down from +3 to +2, PA D Fetterman down from +4 to +2, WI R Johnson up from +2 to +3

Arizona Kelly D – Kelly +4 Democratic hold R 50 D 50
*Georgia Warnock D – Warnock vs. Walker 0 election to runoff R 50, D 49
Florida Rubio R – R Rubio +6 Republican hold R 50 D 49
Nevada Cortez Masto D – R Laxalt +1 Republican gain R 51 - D 48
New Hampshire Hassan D – Hassan +5 Democratic hold R 51 D 48
North Carolina Burr R – Burr is retiring, open seat. R Budd vs. D Beasley. Budd +3 Republican hold. R 51 D 48
Ohio – Portman R – Portman is retiring, open seat. R Vance vs, D Ryan Vance +2 Republican hold. R 51 D 48
Pennsylvania Toomey R – Toomey is retiring, open seat. R Oz vs. D Fetterman, Fetterman +2 Democratic gain R 50 D 49
Wisconsin Johnson R – R Johnson +3 Republican hold. R 50 D 49

*Georgia R Walker vs. D Warnock will go to a runoff scheduled for 6 Dec as neither candidate will receive the mandatory 50% plus one vote needed to avoid a runoff. Leaving the Republicans with a 50-49 advantage until 7 Dec when the runoff votes are counted in Georgia. If Warnock wins the runoff, we’re back to the 50-50 tie with VP Harris providing the tie breaking vote and giving the Democrats control of the senate. If Walker wins the runoff, the GOP will control the senate 51-49. Democrats pickup PA, Republicans gain NV, GA will be decided in a runoff election.

House of Representatives

Currently the House of Representative consists of 222 Democrats, 213 Republicans. The GOP needs a net gain of 5 seats to take control of the House. There are 65 competitive, switchable, at risk districts. Currently held by 47 Democrats and 18 Republicans. Safe seats, 175 Democratic, 195 Republican. Probable net gain for the Republicans is 12-14 seats. Which would give the GOP control of the house with the majority over the Democrats somewhere between 225-211 to 227-208.

Page 59 of 86 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard