WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#28859 09/01/07 10:09 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
In a way, we should all be appreciative of Senator Larry Craig’s post-conviction claim of innocence. At long last we have a member of the United States Senate who has acknowledged the phenomenon of the false guilty plea, if not the pervasiveness of wrongful conviction itself. Or better yet, by insisting he did "nothing wrong" despite violating a statute, Craig may have finally expressed doubt in the laws that lawmakers have rained down on us. Viewed in their worst light, the allegations made against Craig hardly seem to rise to the level of criminal conduct. Yet Craig’s guilty plea to disorderly conduct charges will prevent him from formally appealing the conviction and will likely haunt him for the rest of his life.

Senator Craig’s proclamations of innocence are ironic given his membership in one of the earth’s most punitive deliberative bodies. During Senator Craig’s tenure in Washington, Congress has: (1) criminalized hundreds of previously non-criminal acts under federal law; (2) increased criminal penalties for many federal offenses; (3) drastically increased collateral consequences of minor criminal convictions, subjecting some convicted misdemeanants to lifetime infringements of civil rights and occupational opportunities; (4) applied these collateral consequences retroactively; (5) strategically and systematically limited the appeal rights of convicted persons; (6) carved away the ancient availability of habeas corpus review of convictions; (7) created "procedures" to circumvent the plain language of the Sixth Amendment for accused terror suspects; (8) expanded the authority of police to evade the Fourth Amendment by wiretapping, searching without notification, searching without warrant, and surveilling citizens without cause; (9) exponentially enlarged the budget of the U.S. Justice Department; (10) diverted federal tax dollars into local law enforcement agencies to pay for extra officers; and (11) eliminated all statutory relief for convicted persons.

Lew Rockwell

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."~Patrick Henry

Em Offline
stranger
stranger
Yet Craig’s guilty plea to disorderly conduct charges will prevent him from formally appealing the conviction and will likely haunt him for the rest of his life.

Irony is an implied discrepancy between what is said and what is meant...

~em

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them are not really progress at all, but just terrible things." Russell Baker

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Good points, of course, Republicae, but lets lighten up some. I suspect that the "outing" of a Republican is for a number of modern-day 'liberals' and Dem partisans, a rare opportunity to turn loose their savage inner homophobe without risk of compromising their false sense of superiority. "Who us? Why we are only 'morally' offended by his hypocrisy (phsst! Besides, he's just one of them, ya know, and that makes for good political mud;-)).
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
old hand
old hand
Issodhos is wrong on this, because his evil idea of 'liberals' have in fact not responded to yet another gay bashing self-loathing gay republican with homophobia, but rather the justifiable derision of yet another hypocrite. It is the same derision we justifiably heap upon cowardly super-patriotic chicken-hawks of the past and present, or upon tax-cut espousing social security recipients, or all manner of selfish trough-feeders (especially those war profiteering criminals of the K-Street project).

I know I state the obvious, but I feel an obligation to respond if for no other reason than to have the facts in the record.

"I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct." J. Coleman (Founder of the Weather Channel poo-poos Globwarm)
stranger
stranger
The Keith Olbermann video reenactment of former resignation Sen. Craig's actions at the Minneapolis airportOlbermann video speaks for itself.

Republicae-Seditionist wrote:

Viewed in their worst light, the allegations made against Craig hardly seem to rise to the level of criminal conduct.

Solicitation for sex in a public washroom, especially without consummation, appears to be a victimless crime. However, users of the facility should expect to not have unwanted sexual advances made to them in this venue. I am as liberal on this issue as any on these pages, but even I can support this as a community standard, inasmuch as parents with children and unattended children use the facility. Moreover, any user should be free of being solicited for, or having to encounter sexual activity in this public venue. This is not a victimless crime, if only for providing a public nuisance. So viewed in their worst light, Sen. Craig's actions were criminal.

Contrast this to a venue that adult males would frequent with the understanding and expectatiion that sexual solicitatiion and activity would take place, as a bath house, bookstore, bar, etc.
Sexual acts between consenting adults in such venues are victimless.

It is very significant to note that this is not activity that is inherent in the homosexual lifestyle. The activity in question is sexually compulsive behavior that indicates an inppropriate obsession with sex. In going to public places to engage in anonymous sexual activity, a sexually addicted person is seeking an ever higher level of excitement and risk taking and demonstrates impaired judgement and possible criminal behavior that can lead to arrest, prosecution, community exposure, personal and professional ruin. In fact, such escalated acting out behaviors as Craig's could be found in self indentified heterosexual male sex addicts seeking an ever greater high. In this context sexual acting out is not about sexual gratification any more than alcoholism is about being thirsty. It is compulsive; an addiction. It is not an orientation issue, but a disease. As is compatible with addicts, Mr. Craig appears to lack insight into these issues, and persists in denial, not only to the world, but to himself.

Some things are evident:

1. There was evidence of activity sufficient for an arrest.
2. For whatever reason, the Senator identified himself as such.
3. The Senator did not seek counsel, and pled guilty to
misdemeanor charges.

Later, the former U.S. Sentator states his innocence ("I am not gay") and recounts the events of June 11 in a sad attempt to provide a plausible explanation and defense. Not unlike Bill Clinton, who, "never had sex with that woman," Craig falls into the trap of the denial being more damning than the act itself. Folks can tolerate a lot from public officals, but the dishonesty is a deal breaker.

As Republicae-Seditionist points out, the Senator is experiencing the fruits of his labors on behalf of law and order, which now limit is own rights.

For the Left, there has to be a high degree of freudenshade, as with the Foley scandal, Haggard, and all the others. People dealing out moral judgement coming to be judged. Craig was the Senate co-chair for the Romney campaign, a member of the Senate sub-committee on Homeland Security and the Board of Directors of the NRA. For the Right, there has to be dismay, as the great proponents of their agenda drop one by one from exposure of their own moral failings and misdeeds. Tapping clay feet in dress shoes.

Last edited by Will Write; 09/01/07 05:04 PM.

O Justice! Thou are fled to brutish beasts and men have lost their reason.
journeyman
journeyman
Fermi. I have looked into this problem that most Republicans have for gay Americans. This is something fairly new to me as I have been acquainted with many gay Republicans who were very much in favor of a limited government and individual freedoms. I was shocked at the 1998 GOP Convention in San Diego when the entire Texas delegates walked out on Jim Kolbe's speech. Kolbe's problem was not that he was gay but he was openly gay.

In my many years of working for and living with many gay actors, musicians and just plain friends, I never saw any Republicans publically display what we see today in this horrible homophobia. This is based on the religious right refusing to accept homosexual behavior as being okay in the eyes of the rest of America. It is almost a given in the world of art, music and theater.

Senator Craig went so far as to adopt his children rather than make love to his "wife." For personal reasons I find this strange.

In my past I have been physically turned on by gay men and the other way around. I learned at a early age that enjoying sex is different that making any level of commitment. I was badly hurt by a man who I had not realized was gay. He was very early in my life and showed up again years later and the draw was incredible. He asked me to marry him and move to Hawaii and I turned him down. Not because I didn't love him but my level of commitment is 100% and even though he was back and forth until a year ago when he simply died, I can't be that casual.

Can men go back and forth between life styles? I know heterosexuals do it all the time. I asked my older daughter who is a psychologist and she answered "Mom, don't be silly." I don't know what she meant.

None of this stuff should be under the authority of our Federal Government. If our representatives were not voting on social issues, what they do in their private lives would make no difference. Had Craig been allowed to be openly gay, he would probably not have married nor adopted children nor been forced out of office.

I see that Craig hurt no one. I look at the very holy G.W. Bush and see nearly 4000 dead soldiers and nobody dares to call him a pervert. We need to get our priorities in order and leave the personal lives of our representative alone and while we're at it, keep the social issues out of their hands.

Senator Craig took a chance at being caught and lost. But look at the criminals who have lied their way out of their treasonist actions and we don't dare accuse them of much worse that being caught in bathroom stall.

Who among you here have not tried to pick up a women in a public bar or hotel lobby? I would guess many have picked up partners of the same sex. So friggin what?

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by issodhos
Good points, of course, Republicae, but lets lighten up some. I suspect that the "outing" of a Republican is for a number of modern-day 'liberals' and Dem partisans, a rare opportunity to turn loose their savage inner homophobe without risk of compromising their false sense of superiority. "Who us? Why we are only 'morally' offended by his hypocrisy (phsst! Besides, he's just one of them, ya know, and that makes for good political mud;-)).
Yours,
Issodhos

Are you saying that you are, yourself, a "modern-day 'liberals' and Dem partisans", given you are the only person uttering this that I know of?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by issodhos
their savage inner homophobe
[Linked Image from aximsite.com]

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Are you saying that you are, yourself, a "modern-day 'liberals' and Dem partisans", given you are the only person uttering this that I know of?
Phil, you presented the salient argument for Craig's innocence on that other thread. I appreciated what you said, and the way yo said it. Speaks my mind.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

journeyman
journeyman
R.S. Please tell me what statute Craig violated. The only oath these representatives take is to protect and serve the U.S. Constitution. Not even adultery is against the law. Will this envolvement in a one night stall/stand be considered breaking a federal law? I hope not!

Even at the Republican Conventions there are call girls all over the place and probably call boys too. When these conventions are held in hotels a dozen rooms are reserved for private parties. I would assume it is the same for the Democtatic conventions but I've never been to one.

I attend conventions all the time and always take a single room as I'm there for political reasons and I want no destractions by anyone. At the LP Convention in Tucson in 2004, I had one of the candidates all over me. No thank you sir! At the RLC convention in Atlanta in 2000, I was fortunate to have Lew Rockwell as my dinner partner and he was the most elegant gentleman I ever had the pleasure to meet. Maybe it's just the Republicans who are so lacking in class.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard