WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Science Daily

He says the green solar cells are more environmentally friendly than silicon-based cells as they are made from titanium dioxide – a plentiful, renewable and non-toxic white mineral obtained from New Zealand’s black sand. Titanium dioxide is already used in consumer products such as toothpaste, white paints and cosmetics.

“The refining of pure silicon, although a very abundant mineral, is energy-hungry and very expensive. And whereas silicon cells need direct sunlight to operate efficiently, these cells will work efficiently in low diffuse light conditions,” Dr Campbell says.

“The expected cost is one 10th of the price of a silicon-based solar panel, making them more attractive and accessible to home-owners.”

He says the ultimate aim of using nanotechnology to develop a better solar cell is to convert as much sunlight to electricity as possible.

“The energy that reaches earth from sunlight in one hour is more than that used by all human activities in one year”.

The solar cells are the product of more than 10 years research funded by the Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.

The Bad News? New Zealanders!

"I have studied. I have thought about it. I know I am correct." J. Coleman (Founder of the Weather Channel poo-poos Globwarm)
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[Linked Image from aximsite.com]

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

old hand
old hand
I post and post on Tatainium and does anyone listen?

TAT

Re: Science turns sun, surf into green energy
Tatuma

More Titatium catalysis in the news

quote:
And in a sunnier part of the campus Argonne have been carrying out basic research in three alternative energy related areas. One is solar energy, with the aim of creating next-generation nanostructured solar cells. These cells will be built using sophisticated atomic layer deposition techniques that replace expensive silicon with inexpensive titanium dioxide and chemical dyes. Another is the ‘artificial photosynthesis’ program which imitates nature using simple chemical components to convert sunlight, water and carbon dioxide directly into fuels like hydrogen, methane and ethanol. Then there is a program on thermoelectric materials that take heat from the sun and converts it directly to electricity. "

Last edited by Tatuma; 09/01/07 01:52 PM.

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I think Dick Cheney is having meetings about this as we speak. Of course we have not heard of those meetings...you know how private he is when protecting the energy security of our country.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
journeyman
journeyman
Gee Whiz, Tat, I have a couple of knees and a hip made out of the titanium stuff. Maybe it can be recycled when I give up the ghost. Or one can simply hang my body on the roof and let sun have a go at my joints.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Oh I'll be thrilled to bits to have more affordable solar or............ available! I'd love to convert my house, and would get a kick out of watching my electric meter run backwards! GaPower might not be as thrilled however, between the house and store, they're loving me at the moment!

Here in America we are descended in blood and in spirit from revolutionists and rebels -- men and women who dare to dissent from accepted doctrine. As their heirs, we may never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
veteran
veteran
im surprised more conservatices arent jumping on this idea of self generating power - even selling it back to the grid. where are the entrprenerueal(?- see sig line) solar farmers?

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Oh I'll be thrilled to bits to have more affordable solar or............ available!

"I hear ya",Frazier!

"Where" might I "inquire" about a "dealership"?

["as" I am "hit-n-miss" at "making"["something" so "humble" as] iced tea!]

------------------------------
You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time,but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.[A. Lincoln]
Originally Posted by Schlack
im surprised more conservatices arent jumping on this idea of self generating power - even selling it back to the grid. where are the entrprenerueal(?- see sig line) solar farmers?

"surprised",Schlack? Really? grin

[I think "they" "just" like the "self generating" "part" :)]

------------------------------
You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time,but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.[A. Lincoln]
K
old hand
old hand
K
Does anyone remember this: when Ronald Reagan was elected president, one of the first things he did was to remove the solar panels from the White House that the wimp Jimmy Carter had installed. He really showed Americans how to act like true Americans. In this time of crisis, what we need more than anything is another Reagan to show us the way.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard