WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler
We're ONE cubic mile from freedom, and Osama's message is clear, but it's irrelevant.
JeffH in Occupied TX

As it should be Jeff.

I am interested in politics so that one day I will not have to be interested in politics.
-Ayn Rand
Mal' #30209 09/08/07 04:25 PM
veteran
veteran

In my opinion, an extreme Libertarian ideology is a convergence of extreme left & right wing viewpoints.

Failure on your part to identify any extremists right-wing blogs while easily identifying what you consider extremist left-wing blogs speaks volumes.

I considered the question rhetorical

Sorry you may consider it rhetorical because you don't want to answer but I fully expected an answer. The only "real" reason one would not answer is the contents of that answer.

what right America had in England, France, Germany, Somalia, or Bosnia? What right would she have in Darfur?

How about humanitarian reasons. Did you miss that one or is that too rhetorical for you?

what right does any Arab nation have getting involved in the politics of nation that has been historically Hebrew?

well I have to guess you refer to Israel and yes certainly Palestine does have a right to question the entire process as Israel unilaterally declared itself sovereign from within a geographical territory composed of Muslims/Jews/Arabs/foreigners.

What right does any Persian nation have in getting involved in the domestic policies of an Arab nation?
None.

So what seems to be so difficult for you to answer a simple question?

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
We were warned and warned about having our troops on Islamic holy ground.

What if a Muslim Army set up on the Mexican border? Would we send a warning to their head honcho to get off Mexico's land? 20 years later they were still there interfering with our commerce and continuing to threaten our border? Of course we would attack them but we seem to have the arrogance that our troops are to be allowed everywhere on the planet.

Jeff hit it correctly. Oil is dirty business and whether a Republi9can or Democrat is in the white house is not the argument unless this forum has fallen into a level of first grade fighting.

Bush not only was warned that American would be attacked but he never gave any thought to how the terrorist would trigger actions all over Europe. This whole incredible action of Bush's could end up killing a million innocent people and it will be done as an American action.

The only way out of this mess is to impeach the sonofabitch immediately and throw his rotten ass back to Texas as fast as possible and pull out troops out of the Middle East and maybe the Al Qaeda will not attack us or maybe they will and we will be forced into an all out war with Islam. But for us to sit on our hands and do nothing is an open invitation for the world to send what missiles and planes to America.

One more debate among the imbeciles of the GOP will only show Al Qaeda what total asses we are. I cannot see how any American can even consider the fools who act like 5th grade idiots.

Bush is itching for another attack! It is the only way to save his sorry legacy. Imperial Hubris made so much sense to me in 2004 and I know it hit the top 10 New YOrk Times list but I cannot find anyone who ever read it. He was in Afghanistan for years and listened to the leaders of the Taliban who warned over and over to have Ame4rica remove their troops off the holy land. The Taliban was ignored by Bush 41, Clinton and Bush 43 so what the hell was so shocking about 9/11? Not a single action was taken against the attack and it was simply assumed that the White House knew it was coming.

Our only hope is to dump Bush quickly and bring this horror to a close. Bring our troops home to heal with dignity and put them on alert that we may be hit again and again.

We must firm up our reasons for ever going into another nation with force and let the rest of the world know we have to renew our American values, pay off our debts, bring home our corporations and close our borders for a certain length of time until we can rebuild our laws. It is time to educate our next generations to recognize our freedoms and our individuality.

We're going down the tubes and we need to straighten up and stop worrying about social issues and concentrate of strong values.

Don't put political labels on our statements. It is simply a cheap way to end a debate. Our nation is on the brink of destruction and we do not need another level of labels.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Just a general comment...
We observe the gibberish of OBL's message, and wonder how so many could be swept up in that to the point of even becoming suicide bombers.

We should also look objectively at our own culture to see if there are any parallels. If you listen to Bush speak, one has to admit there is a lot of gibberish... that is liberally sprinkled with buzz word that get people going... God, America, Liberty, Taxes, WMD, Mushroom cloud, etc. The rhetoric ot talk radio is largely gibberish. The rhetoric of televangelists is largely gibberish.

And from all of that gibberish we have had broad public support for the Iraq war. We have had lots of people willing to go over there and "die for our country". We have had our own people bombing the federal building in Oklahoma city, and bombing the Olympics, and bombing abortion clinics. You have Christian military camps preparing children to be warriors for god. And all of this happening in a modern and sophisticated country.

Is it any wonder that extremism could motivate some people in less sophisticated countries?

And in all of that, consider what it is that gets people in line with this extremism. There is almost always some very charged issue that gets people going. Gay Marriage, killing fetuses. taking god out of society, what ever. And in the same way, there are certain issues that people in the middle east respond strongly to. These issues are like fertilizer for extremism. And unfortunately... up to this point... people in our nation could not address these issues without being labelled as traitors, or stooges of OBL.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Mal' #30218 09/08/07 05:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Mal'
As an example one could ask what right America had in England, France, Germany, Somalia, or Bosnia? What right would she have in Darfur? Similarly, what right does any Arab nation have getting involved in the politics of nation that has been historically Hebrew? What right does any Persian nation have in getting involved in the domestic policies of an Arab nation?
You're dang straight! Those are great questions, questions that ought to be asked every day, and questions whose answers we ought to actively seek, and then act accordingly.

Those are the kind of questions we hear discussed in the United Nations, and that's why we ought to support it instead of roadblocking it. Because then the opinions that matter would be heard loudly, and the unimportant ones, like those of Oh Someone's Been Missing, would make page sixteen of section two and ten seconds at the bottom of the newshour.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Ardy #30220 09/08/07 05:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ardy
Just a general comment...
We observe the gibberish of OBL's message, and wonder how so many could be swept up in that to the point of even becoming suicide bombers.
I'll see your general comment and raise you one (or two), Ardy. How much credit does OBL deserve for the suicide bombers in Iraq, or in Palestine, or even Afghanistan? How many of these people decide to become suicide bombers because of him?

Is it any wonder that extremism could motivate some people in less sophisticated countries?
Because they are just like us. Only the weapons arsenal is different. We have smart bombs, they have suicide bombers.

And unfortunately... up to this point... people in our nation could not address these issues without being labelled as traitors, or stooges of OBL.
Indeed. Witness the first reply on this thread:
Originally Posted by Mal
I read most of the latest transcript from Osama, and the thing that struck me is how much he sounds like a lot of the gibberish one reads on the extreme Left & Libertarian blogs such as Wonkette, Daily Kos, Truthout, Common Dreams, Lew Rockwell, etc.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

stereoman #30224 09/08/07 06:51 PM
veteran
veteran

Those are great questions, questions that ought to be asked every day, and questions whose answers we ought to actively seek, and then act accordingly.

I couldn't agree more.

With 193 political entities on this ever shrinking planet, those questions increasingly become more important than to marginalize them as rhetorical.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

Mal' #30228 09/08/07 08:24 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
According to OBL we should read Chomsky and Scheuer now if we wish to save ourselves from further attacks. Never mind those thinly-veiled threats about what will happen to us if we don’t convert to Islam, or restore Europe to the borders of the former Caliphate.

Ah yes, Restoration of the Caliphate It is a topic that is always good for a little fear mongering.

Let's see, what are the actual chances for anything close to that coming into existence. A unifies government that encompasses large parts of India, some of China, some of Russia, Afghanistan, Iran, Syria, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia Israel, Egypt, Morocco, Turkey, Libya, Spain Romania, and many more I have forgotten? I think very unlikely.

And how likely that this entity will pose a political threat to any western government?

And despite the fact that this is a clear fantasy, we fear it to our bones.

Now lets reverse the context and look at the world from a Muslim perspective. What is the threat from "Crusader " nations? They have in fact taken over most of Palestine and Jerusalem, and are constantly taking more land. They knock over non-compliant Muslim governments at will and intimidate those they do not directly control. The real evidence of military, economic, political, and cultural imperialism against Muslim countries is overwhelming. So It would seem that OBL and his ilk really have a lot of evidence to support the calls to Islamic fundamentalism to fight these influences.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Mal' #30233 09/08/07 09:54 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I read most of the latest transcript from Osama, and the thing that struck me is how much he sounds like a lot of the gibberish one reads on the extreme Left & Libertarian blogs such as Wonkette, Daily Kos, Truthout, Common Dreams, Lew Rockwell, etc.

According to OBL we should read Chomsky and Scheuer now if we wish to save ourselves from further attacks. Never mind those thinly-veiled threats about what will happen to us if we don’t convert to Islam, or restore Europe to the borders of the former Caliphate. According to those who are trying to find a rational reason for “why they hate us”, no sane person in the world ever wants to attack Americans, Spaniards, Germans, Filipinos, Indians, Thais, Australians, Israelis, British, French, Danish, etc. strictly because of concept’s called “liberty” and “secularism”. It’s all about that evil western hegemony. In the mindset of Bin Laden, the west should have left the peaceful, progressive Islamic empire alone during the 9th century, and if it would have done so - 9/11 would have never happened.

My question is who made Osama Bin Laden spokesperson for the Islamic world?
Taking the last question first, it seems to me it is the western MSM that anointed OBL and he has gladly fulfilled the role. I wonder how much mileage he would have gotten if our government and media had not done so.

I read the translation of the tape and am struck by the conflation of several ideas on his part. I think he is absolutely correct when he says that corporatism has brought about many ills in the world, all at the holy altar of profits. I strongly disagree with his prescription -- converting to Islam -- being of the view that there are many paths to raising ourselves above the anti-human nature of this malady.

To me his actions are abominable and cannot be justified under any guise. I say the same about anyone who kills for any cause whatsoever. There is something deeply flawed in his thinking process and he is given too many platforms to spread that illness to others.

It has been said many times that we are in competition with him and his followers and fellow travellers for the minds of humans around the world. he has chosen to make that competition deadly. It seems to me a mistake to play into his game with more violence.

It has also been said that the "war against terrorism" isn't a war at all but rather a call for better policing and intelligencing. Right after the attack of 9/11 many of us wondered what would impell such viciousness and concluded that some of the cause lay with our own actions.

For complex reasons many Americans seem incapable of admitting that possibility. As an individual I learned during my life's journey that it always pays to include myself when searching for the cause of problems. More often than not by changing my own attitude or actions the problems begin to cure on their own.

I suggest that if our government and people adopted this approach most of our problems would go away or clear up just in the course of life itself.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good post, Phil! You make some worthwhile points. Especially kudo's for having the temerity to say that OBL is "right" about something. Even George W. Bush is occasionally right about something. So was Adolph Hitler. At the risk of abruptly ending the discussion, I mention that.

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard