WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 149 of 149 1 2 147 148 149
veteran
veteran
'
Originally Posted by Sandune
You want to blame wealth for all the ails in America. Yes, indeed, Hearst did set up the conditions of the Maine, but it was the reaction that took us to war.
In other words, you agree that Hearst was a loathsome, sociopathic ghoul.

[deleted post - guidelines violation]

Last edited by Phil Hoskins; 11/01/11 06:14 PM.

AKA Sandy Price
I just read the 1855 edition of Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman.

It has Sex, Spirituality, Jingoism. Great Poetry.

“If you think you've got an inside track to absolute truth, you become doctrinaire, humorless and intellectually constipated." Saul Alinskey
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Sandune
There is also the opinion that those who bought what Hearst had to sell ... Yes, indeed, Hearst did set up the conditions of the Maine ... that took us to war... it was all the other newspapers that folded leaving the Hearst papers running for over a century.

Don't mind my editing of your post, Sandy, I learned it from Hearst.

Hey, wasn't it Hearst who thought up "Reefer Madness", and did a massive propaganda campaign using his media empire, as a ploy to eliminate hemp as a fiber competitor so that his vast timber holdings would be more valuable? Guess he started more than one "war".

No matter, he used his wealth to buy paintings in Europe for the betterment of all mankind. Hmm

Gotta luv dat free market Capitalism!! ThumbsUp

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
If William Randolph Hearst is the worst American you can write about you haven't gone far enough in your history of his legacy. Sure I've read all about how he raped and pillaged Europe for their art. The truth was that they begged him for money to win their wars. When he finished the Castle, he put the art that was not used in a massive stockile in New York and the art was offered back to Europe. The only list of his activities that were for the betterment of mankind were the health facilities that he built all over America. If you read or watch any of the science programs you will note that they were financed by the Hearst group of charities. One of my classmates in high school was the daughter of one of his sons. Mother dated Randolph all through high school and we all used Marion's home in Santa Monica. I read just about every book written on the family and was able to have book signings for Mr. Will's wife Austine Hearst. When they dedicated the new visitor's center, I was asked to be a hostess and greeter for many of their Hollywood guests. When my store closed, I was hired to work the Information booth because of my knowledge of the castle and the family.

I was never jealous of their wealth because I have always had as great respect for wealth. His wealth came from the silver mines owned by his father George who even managed to get elected to the U.S. Senate. His mother took him to Europe to understand the power of good art. They bought W.R. a small newspaper in New York and he fell in love with the business. The rest is history.

There is always a level of humanity who automatically despise anyone who has wealth. Many of us in California were victims of small newspapers who went after anyone for any reason. Confidential Magazine took on what they called the "beautiful and wealthy people" and wrote volumes of lies that got into the hands of these jealous wealth haters. You survive on tearing down wealthy people. It must make you feel important to slander anyone based on papers like "The Enquirer" and "Confidential."

You have it all and you believe it. I researched the family and know the good stuff their wealth brought to others. I grew up with the generation of his grandkids and worked with and for his last daughter in law. She ran the Hearst Ranch and kept the horses in perfect condition. When she died the entire area of the Central Coast mourned the great lady's death. Her elderly husband "Mr. Will" as we called him followed her death with great sorrow. You will never see the ranch people who kept the State of California contained off their 200,000 acres by giving the state the Castle but not the road that leads to it. It is the only state park that pays its own way in California.

The family donated the property along the ocean side of the Highway One to allow development to help pick up the commerce of the whole areas. They donated it!

Now what horrors would you like to discuss with the Getty family? I dated the youngest son for years. He is the one who composes music; why else would I be interested?

AKA Sandy Price
old hand
old hand
Just read this in a Entertainment Weekly (given an A- ) book review of "Hope: A Tragedy" by Shalom Alexander.

The "poisonously funny debut novel" sounds interesting. It's about the protagonist's "nagging fears, morbid digressions, and firmly rooted paranoia".

Added to this is the fact that Anne Frank, yes, that Anne Frank "has actually been sequestered in suburban American attics as she pens her follow-up book".

What caught my eye though was the Woody Allen quote from the start of "Annie Hall" by reviewer Keith Staskiewicz. Human existence is defined as

"FULL OF LONELINESS, AND MISERY,AND SUFFERING, AND UNHAPPINESS, AND IT'S ALL OVER MUCH TOO QUICKLY".

Read the first few chapters. The first line is powerful.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy of books by Suzanne Collins. Reading the first book, I thought it seemed easily adaptable to the big screen. Then what do I begin to see? Movie trailers.

Well, it should be an OK movie. Not so great books, but not bad enough to walk away from.

veteran
veteran
”I used up most of my eyesight on the wonders of the world and the beauty of women,” he said.

I’m not sure why exactly, but that knocked me an inch off myself, an inch I could not seem easily to recover.

Occasionally I run into an author whose sentences are so perfectly tailored that they distract me from the larger story. The one quoted is one of a very many in This is Happiness by Niall Williams. His sentences are tiny little crystalline miniature novels within the larger text.

Hi, Martha.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
K
old hand
old hand
K
Well I just found this link Mellow. I answered my own dilemma.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
veteran
veteran
Heard an author interview this morning on NPR and just got on the list for a library copy. The book is Don’t Forget Us Here: Lost and Found at Guantanamo. It’s by Mansoor Adafi, who was detained at Guantanamo for 14 years before being released to Syria.

Good reviews so far; I’m looking forward to reading it. I think the detentions, for over a decade, of prisoners at Guantanamo , without charge, was shameful, and in direct conflict with US law.

The interview was on the program “1A,” and should be available online.

Last edited by Mellowicious; 09/07/21 03:24 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 149 of 149 1 2 147 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard