WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
veteran
veteran
me too on the heat and eating thing, Joe. Lordy it's hard to eat much in this heat!

I've got fresh vegetables I need to use up in preparation of company coming (we'll be eating out a lot) so I think I'll just cook the corn along with fresh greens beans and garlic mashed potatoes with sage gravy and sliced tomatoes all gotten from the farmers market yesterday. Add fresh fruit and bread from the local bakery too.

Barbecue sounds good!
I finally broke down and had some recently (festival downtown) but it was too fatty. cry

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Originally Posted by olyve
Do y'all have a recipe for Vindaloo? I think you've posted one before but it sure would be helpful if you would again.
I'm exploring Indian too.
I've been making a Pork Vindaloo for several years using a recipe from Madhur Jaffrey. It's my wife's favorite treat! (I love it, also!) Here's a link to a copy: Pork Vindaloo

Vindaloo comes from the Goa region of India, which was colonized by the Portuguese. Catholicism is the predominant religion, so there is no taboo on the consumption of pork. The use of vinegar came from the Portuguese influence, but the hot spices are native Indian.

Larry
---------------------------
"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious. But the stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey
Even though yesterday was the first day of summer, I had the craving for a big pot of thick, rich soup. I harvested our first crop of Swiss Chard from our community garden plot and made a wonderful Curried Red Lentil and Swiss Chard soup. It was fantastic!

Curried Red Lentil & Swiss Chard Soup

Larry
---------------------------
"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious. But the stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Snargle, thanks for the history on the Vindaloo! Indian Pork struck me as not quite "Kosher", now I know how it works smile

I just wondered what if you placed a 9"x13" pyrex baking dish filled 1/3 or more with water (and add additional water as necessary)on the lowest rack level for a "moist" oven?

Welp, just for the hell of it I used a hotel pan the same size as the one I roast the ribs in and soaked pecan chips and put them under the ribs. The ribs came out dryer than usual, steam has a tendency to pull moisture from the meat, I have no idea how that chemistry works, but I wont try it again in that oven.
It's a totally unvented wall oven out in my summer kitchen. I will definitely try it again in a regular oven though.

Joe, I don't eat veal either but lambs are not abused the way veal calves are. Most New Zealand Lamb is range reared, they get to see the sunshine, feel the rain, and eat the flowers. Even though their lives are not long they get to enjoy them. A veal barn is an abomination.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Greger
I just wondered what if you placed a 9"x13" pyrex baking dish filled 1/3 or more with water (and add additional water as necessary)on the lowest rack level for a "moist" oven?

Welp, just for the hell of it I used a hotel pan the same size as the one I roast the ribs in and soaked pecan chips and put them under the ribs. The ribs came out dryer than usual, steam has a tendency to pull moisture from the meat, I have no idea how that chemistry works, but I wont try it again in that oven.
It's a totally unvented wall oven out in my summer kitchen. I will definitely try it again in a regular oven though.
Greger,
The soaked wood chips go on the white hot BBQ coals to add flavor. I've never heard of anyone using them in an indoor oven before. I can assure you that water in the drip pan in a BBQ will make both beef and pork ribs juicer than just using indirect heat. When you mentioned that you prefer to prepare them in an oven as opposed to a BBQ, I wondered if placing a pan of water- like when you bake a cheesecake- on the lowest rack would make the ribs moist. I imagine that placing soaked wood chips in an oven would dry out the meat. For a hickory smoked flavor using an indoor range oven, I'd suggest liquid smoke.
Joe

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I saw a America's test Kitchen show on ribs...
nearly as I can remember, they did a spice rub
cooked on indirect heat on the BBQ for maybe 1.5 hour
and then tightly wrapped it in aluminum foil and stuck it in a medium heat oven Maybe another 1.5 hours.... where the steam that was kept in by the foil did it's job of tenderizing the meat.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Joe, it's not exactly an indoor oven, it's out in the summer kitchen. Most restaurants that serve ribs use the Alto Sham ovens I linked to on the previous page. They are a very low heat unvented professional oven. They use trays of soaked woodchips and probably operate right at 200 degrees, You don't actually have to create smoke to achieve a smoked flavor. For "real" barbecuing I use natural lump charcoal and a Big Green Egg, I just thought I'd give the waterpan a try yesterday but I wasn't exactly thrilled with the results. Roasting meat is best done with dry heat.
I would never use a chemical concoction like liquid smoke! wink

J
veteran
veteran
J
Greger,
Thanks for educating me. I was a little bit worried there for a moment. I didn't know that anyone put soaked wood chips in any oven. My bad. The Alto Sham ovens are out of this peasant's price range, but if I hit "Power Ball," you know what's on top of my list. I'm used to the open pit BBQ. East of the Mississippi it's pork, and west it's beef. Most of the east of the Miss use an open pit BBQ's and a vinegar tomato baste. BBQ is BBQ. A drop or two or liquid smoke in the mix isn't going to effect the statistics significantly, but it will impart a hickory taste. I used it once or twice, but prefer hickory or mesquite wood. I never thought about pecan. Thanks. I've smoked trout with apple wood, however. No one ever complained, including the ones that don't like fish. Bottom line: it has to taste good and people enjoy it. We're talking BBQ, and not poetry here.
Joe

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Ardy
I saw a America's test Kitchen show on ribs...
nearly as I can remember, they did a spice rub
cooked on indirect heat on the BBQ for maybe 1.5 hour
and then tightly wrapped it in aluminum foil and stuck it in a medium heat oven Maybe another 1.5 hours.... where the steam that was kept in by the foil did it's job of tenderizing the meat.
Ardy,
I don't watch TV. I like spice rubs and use them, but the TV guys got it half-ess backwards. BBQ follows for flavor- BBQ flavor.
Joe

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LOL Joe like you said it aint poetry. Heavy smoke for an hour then into the oven works as well as the other way around. Don't knock it til you try it!
Sham ovens are pricey but if you toy with times and temps you can achieve the same thing in any oven. The whole idea is that collagen breaks down at 200 degrees so you want to bring the internal temp up to exactly 200 degrees as slowly as possible without overcooking the outside of the meat. That's why the indirect heat with the ribs. The only cut of beef that really lends itself to this method is the brisket, pork shoulder works best from the pig. I kept having trouble getting my ribs tender with gas and charcoal, I like them falling off the bone, so I switched to the oven completely.

In the hardwood lumber business there is NO difference between Hickory and Pecan. They don't even separate them at the sawmill. There is a big difference in the flavor of the smoke though. Buy a bag of Pecan Chips and you'll see.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard