WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by numan
Originally Posted by issodhos
I have always held to the adage that if one is looking for trouble, one is going to find trouble. So, the first thing one does to avoid trouble is to not look for trouble, and preferably, if it can be avoided, don't go where trouble may find you.

I agree with you, Issodhos.

Where we differ is that I regard using a gun, carrying a gun, and owning a gun to be looking for trouble.

Nothing wrong with "differing, numan. Nothing wrong with you emigrating from a place with which you are unhappy. Nothing wrong with you not owning a firearm. It is good that you are willing to make choices that you have a right to make. I respect your right to not exercise your right to own and use a firearm.

Hopefully, you are willing to allow me the same right to choose. Seems fair.:-)
Yours in full control of my inner fascist,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yours in full control of my inner fascist,
Issodhos

Assuming for the moment that free choice is not an illusion foisted upon you by your inner fascist.

Last edited by Ardy; 04/07/09 06:49 PM.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
It's just that I get tired of the "gun control freaks run wild" label.

It's just that we choose to live our lives without arms. Oh, yes - and we vehemently wish that others would, as well.

"Gun control freaks" has only been used once, and it is basically a spoof on the use of derogatory terms used against those who choose to privately own and use firearms. I thought it was time to "give back" round about the time a thread went up in this forum entitled "Gun nuts accessories to murder?" when the killings at Virginia Tech took place. None of you had any problem with that thread title. Add to that the routine attempts to marginalize a gun owner by saying that he is compensating for sexual inadequacies, seeking an "extention", 'looking for trouble" and other things the "haters" (sorry, couldn't help myself:-)) in the forum and elsewhere write, I will forgive myself for the "gun-control freaks" spoof.:-)

Once again, I happy to support your right to not exercise the right to privately own and use firearms. Try to not deny me that choice.
Yours in hopes of getting along,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
"Gun control freaks" has only been used once, and it is basically a spoof on the use of derogatory terms used against those who choose to privately own and use firearms.

Could you provide an illustration of "derogatory terms used against those who choose to privately own and use firearms." To my understanding there are more elements than that required before those terms have been applied.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
veteran
veteran
issodhos, whether a phrase is used once or a hundred times, if it's inaccurate, it's inaccurate. In my case, it's inaccurate and I spoke up.

As for the use of "gun nut" - I am not in the habit of using derogatory remarks about gun users, but in my view the man at Virginia Tech was a disturbed armed man, which is not all that far from "gun nut," impolite as it may be. The same is true of the shooter at the Omaha mall, and those at Columbine and Red Lake and DeKalb and École Polytechnique and Erfurt and, yes, the man in Pittsburgh. I'll stop here, although I could easily go further.

However, should I at any time use that phrase in reference to responsible gun owners, particularly my friends on this site, you would be right to correct me. Catching me may be a problem.

As for allowing you your rights - we interpret the 2nd Amendment differently and always will. My voting for stricter gun control is, in my view, not an infringement of your rights. You will of course disagree. That discussion is for another time and place.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
issodhos, whether a phrase is used once or a hundred times, if it's inaccurate, it's inaccurate. In my case, it's inaccurate and I spoke up.

As for allowing you your rights - we interpret the 2nd Amendment differently and always will. My voting for stricter gun control is, in my view, not an infringement of your rights. You will of course disagree. That discussion is for another time and place.

Oh, I am not apologizing for its usage, Mellowicious. And I am not interested in any post-parsing and fine tuning of terms previously used in other threads over the past few years.

But, I do promise you that I will continue to support your rights, whether they are freedom of expression, due process, privacy, or the right to privately own and use firearms.

By the way, the 2nd amendment is merely a restriction against the federal government infringing on a pre-existing right. I certainly do not rely on it as a basis for the right to privately own and use firearms.:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by Ardy
"Gun control freaks" has only been used once, and it is basically a spoof on the use of derogatory terms used against those who choose to privately own and use firearms.

Could you provide an illustration of "derogatory terms used against those who choose to privately own and use firearms." To my understanding there are more elements than that required before those terms have been applied.

There is a search function going back at least a year, Ardy. Avail yourself of it if you wish.
Yours,
Issodhos

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Onus is on you, iss. You brought it up, you provide the evidence. Otherwise, it's just an empty claim.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

veteran
veteran
In Isshodos's defence i do remember that thread title. was it the title of an article?

however, making fun in general of gun enthusiasts really is the exception here, as far as i can recall.

one swallow does not make a blo.. erm summer

but i could indeed be wrong.

Actual gun nuts are fair game, as are all crazies.

Last edited by Schlack; 04/07/09 10:21 PM.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

veteran
veteran
oh, Schlack, c'mon - you got something against non-violent crazies? smile

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard