WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Originally Posted by issodhos
Please note that I was not using an exact quote, loganrbt. If I had been, I would have used quotes and cited the passage. and, just in case you are unaware of it, his words were written down differently in Matthew, Mark, and Luke -- ya know, cause they were like 3 different dudes?;-)
Yours in scriptural rectitude,
Issodhos

Distortion of the text is distortion whether the distorted text is placed in quotation marks or not. I expect far better defense than that from you, sir!

Please do not mistake my correcting you as being meant as defense, loganrbt. And let us leave your strawman to other endeavors, shall we?;-)

By the way, in considering some of the more defensive responses I have seen in this thread, it occurs to me that some folks seem to feel a threat to their perceived sense of moral superiority.;-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
By the way, in considering some of the more defensive responses I have seen in this thread, it occurs to me that some folks seem to feel a threat to their perceived sense of moral superiority.;-)

The day you learn that what you think others are thinking or feeling is a day I will celebrate. each and every time you have projected onto me your own thoughts over the years you have been entirely wrong.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Please note that I was not using an exact quote, loganrbt. If I had been, I would have used quotes and cited the passage. and, just in case you are unaware of it, his words were written down differently in Matthew, Mark, and Luke -- ya know, cause they were like 3 different dudes?;-)
Yours in scriptural rectitude,
Issodhos

Distortion of the text is distortion whether the distorted text is placed in quotation marks or not. I expect far better defense than that from you, sir!

Please do not mistake my correcting you as being meant as defense, loganrbt. And let us leave your strawman to other endeavors, shall we?;-)

Yours,
Issodhos

yes, I totally agree with that characterization of your posts! We agree on something! Cue orchestra. Cue choir.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He was motivated by something other than selflessness.
Here again we see the distinction between the concept of altruism as it is commonly used in modern vernacular and as a technical term in the study of ethics and philosophy. Many of the examples that have been offered by others in this discussion describe the former interpretation, liberated from the necessity of proving the absence of self-interest.

In fact, it seems to me, there is nearly a consensus among us that altruism generally does include some degree of self-interest. The odd man out being you, iss. Which explains very neatly how the rest of us can celebrate our altruism and the altruism of others, whilst you doggedly insist that it doesn't exist.

Vive la difference I say. And let's not get into personal sniping over it. For you, it's a load of piffle. For the rest of us, it's a delightful and rewarding part of life. So be it.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

I
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by stereoman
He was motivated by something other than selflessness.
Here again we see the distinction between the concept of altruism as it is commonly used in modern vernacular and as a technical term in the study of ethics and philosophy. Many of the examples that have been offered by others in this discussion describe the former interpretation, liberated from the necessity of proving the absence of self-interest.

In fact, it seems to me, there is nearly a consensus among us that altruism generally does include some degree of self-interest. The odd man out being you, iss. Which explains very neatly how the rest of us can celebrate our altruism and the altruism of others, whilst you doggedly insist that it doesn't exist.

Actually, I think it is more a case of some folks seeking to redefine the issue so that it will comforably line up with their pat answers. I think it upsets some to think that they are not as morally superior as they perceive themselves to be. As to personal sniping, that began almost immediately. Dodge away. I am a patient man.
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
old hand
old hand
LOL ROTFMOL LOL
:Tinfoil Hat:

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To make a tinfoil hat you type a bracket [ and a colon :
with a space between them it looks like this [ :
remove the space and you get this [:
When Issodhos plays these word games I put on my [:
To the best of my knowledge no one has ever convinced him he was wrong. No personal snipe there, Isso, just an observation. In his own way and by his rules he is quite correct. :[ it can be a smiley bracket in either direction but as you see, a frownie bracket does not make a tinfoil hat.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by stereoman
In fact, it seems to me, there is nearly a consensus among us that altruism generally does include some degree of self-interest.

snip

Which explains very neatly how the rest of us can celebrate our altruism and the altruism of others,
Bow

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
In his own way and by his rules he is quite correct.
Yep. There you have it. Not much different from the rest of us, wot?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
To make a tinfoil hat you type a bracket [ and a colon :
with a space between them it looks like this [ :
remove the space and you get this [:
Not sure what happened there. I "loaded" the tin foil hat from the smilie set on the board, just like the laughers. They all came over intact, but that one did not.

Strange powers reaching across the Web!
:Tinfoil Hat:

Ha! Did it again. So something is amiss with the tool.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard