WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Logan, I have no problem with sanctions or taking the little boys daddy to court. But shooting at the little boy or bombing his house are not sanctions. In this case the little boy has not thrown any rocks over the fence yet. Should he be shot because he might?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
UN Security Council fails to agree on response to N. Korea missile firing

In the Chinese media, North Korea's launch was generally portrayed as a peaceful advance of its space program, not a military threat.

"As a member of the United Nations, North Korea has a right to explore space. What gives the United States and Japan the right to object?" wrote a blogger, Long Kaifeng, on Sina.com, one of China's largest Web portals.

Russia reported that Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had a telephone conversation in connection with the North Korean launch.

"The sides spoke out in favor of joint efforts aimed at preventing the destabilization of the situation in northeast Asia, and also for the preservation of the six-side negotiation process on the nuclear problem of the Korean peninsula," said the Russian Foreign Ministry statement published on its website Sunday. "An agreement was reached to keep up close contacts and continue consultations on the issue."

So here's a question to ponder. Just as with Iran's "nuclear ambitions", we have N. Korea declaring that they are engaging in a perfectly peaceable development of their space travel capabilities. Aren't they entitled to do that, just as much as Iran is entitled to develop their nuclear energy capabilities?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by stereoman
Question for Ponderer: would you then count yourself among the 57% who favor a military action? Or do you see your suggestion as not being a sufficiently military to be considered a "military" action?
I favor using it as an opportunity to test our interception technology rather than any aggressive action directly against the mainland of North Korea. They are launching an obviously sub-orbital missile that threatens the international community. The reaction would be self-defense and proportional. If they were, indeed, launching a satellite capable of putting something into orbit, there are international conventions that apply to the process. They did, by the way, violate Japanese airspace in the process, which is just provocation for a responsive action. Just because they "claim" to be doing something does not make it so, just as Kim Jong Il is elected "by acclamation" every few years, and "that rock going through your window wasn't intentional, I was aiming for the moon and missed."

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
And, Jeff, if they have the technology, it is ok for them to knock down our rockets? How about the Space Station? What gives us the right but not them to space technology?

They're effing crazy. Yes, crazier than we are.
That's it in a nutshell.
I know it offends you no end but I hold that, as crazy as we might be, they're much much crazier.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
No, I am not offended, and agree they do seem crazier than us. Then again, we do not condone shooting crazy people until they are a clear and present danger, which NK, crazy as it is definitely is not.

Carrying the crazy person analogy probably too far, I have been in the room with a person I considered likely crazy in a similar manner -- unpredictable, unstable, hostile -- who I knew had a gun. I would not pull a gun on such a person if I had one, much less shoot if I did, except under truly extreme circumstances.

There are almost always better alternatives, moves that would avoid escalating matters, unduly upsetting them, and certainly not being aggressive toward that person/country.

I just cannot see this situation as one calling for violence of any kind, even shooting down one of their rockets unless clearly aimed at us or an ally. Flying over Japan is not that. We fly our satellites thousands of times and don't expect them to be shot down.

I am most definitely not applauding, condoning or supporting what NK does or says. But to me it is much better to neither enrage them nor bully them back. It just doesn't work with people, and believe it or not, they are people.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
You spoke of occupation, I see no reason why any American soldier should ever set foot on North Korean soil.

---No, I said that I did not believe that THEY could sustain an invasion AND occupation for any length of time.
I wasn't talking about US doing any occupation.
I agree with you, just keep destroying their launch pads and missiles every time they fire them, and let them hang themselves.

You listed a very well written assessment of their status of forces and it's indeed an eye opener.
Now think of the energy and actual money required to run such a monstrosity. I agree that they could most likely inflict major damage, but after that, I think they'd run dry pretty quickly.

It's one thing to amass a great army with great facilities and another to actually USE it. We've seen object lessons of this type with our very own military. Great soldiers, very brave, fantastic gear, and in the end, quagmire after quagmire.

North Korea is not capable of taking over the world, or even its neighbors, for any length of time.

Therefore, when they start firing missiles, it's time to shoot them down. Simple as that....because they're effing nutz.

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Just because they "claim" to be doing something does not make it so, just as Kim Jong Il is elected "by acclamation" every few years, and "that rock going through your window wasn't intentional, I was aiming for the moon and missed."
So would you count yourself among the 57% or would you describe your suggested response as "just testing our missile defense system"?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Checkerboard Strangler
Originally Posted by Greger
You spoke of occupation, I see no reason why any American soldier should ever set foot on North Korean soil.

---No, I said that I did not believe that THEY could sustain an invasion AND occupation for any length of time.
I wasn't talking about US doing any occupation.
I agree with you, just keep destroying their launch pads and missiles every time they fire them, and let them hang themselves.

You listed a very well written assessment of their status of forces and it's indeed an eye opener.
Now think of the energy and actual money required to run such a monstrosity. I agree that they could most likely inflict major damage, but after that, I think they'd run dry pretty quickly.

It's one thing to amass a great army with great facilities and another to actually USE it. We've seen object lessons of this type with our very own military. Great soldiers, very brave, fantastic gear, and in the end, quagmire after quagmire.

North Korea is not capable of taking over the world, or even its neighbors, for any length of time.

Therefore, when they start firing missiles, it's time to shoot them down. Simple as that....because they're effing nutz.

What is the threshold for sufficiently "effing nutz"?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No, I am not offended, and agree they do seem crazier than us. Then again, we do not condone shooting crazy people until they are a clear and present danger, which NK, crazy as it is definitely is not.

Carrying the crazy person analogy probably too far, I have been in the room with a person I considered likely crazy in a similar manner -- unpredictable, unstable, hostile -- who I knew had a gun. I would not pull a gun on such a person if I had one, much less shoot if I did, except under truly extreme circumstances.

There are almost always better alternatives, moves that would avoid escalating matters, unduly upsetting them, and certainly not being aggressive toward that person/country.

I just cannot see this situation as one calling for violence of any kind, even shooting down one of their rockets unless clearly aimed at us or an ally. Flying over Japan is not that. We fly our satellites thousands of times and don't expect them to be shot down.

I am most definitely not applauding, condoning or supporting what NK does or says. But to me it is much better to neither enrage them nor bully them back. It just doesn't work with people, and believe it or not, they are people.

--Neither am I. I'm just in favor of shooting down their missiles once they enter the Pacific Ocean.
No violence whatsoever...very proportionate response in fact.
Purely defensive, especially considering the quality of their hardware.
You can liken it to a state trooper deploying stop sticks after seeing a drunken owner of a 58 Rambler going 70 down a suburban two lane blacktop with bad brakes and bald tires.
Let's say he knows who the driver is and knows that they're all talk and no action. But this time their rattletrap is quite possibly a danger to the neighborhood.

The penalty should not be death, but the guy should not be allowed to pilot his pile of crap at seventy with bad brakes and bald tires while on a bender either.

If he hits a phone pole and gets ejected from the vehicle there will be an outcry from folks who say this was just some old guy having a bender, but he could have thought twice about getting in the old heap after a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon too, right?

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is the threshold for sufficiently "effing nutz"?

America, F***K yeah vs. Kim Jong Il...Kim Jong Il by a nose.

deepfreezefilms.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard