WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 08:21 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1 guest and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,412 my own book page
5,016,339 We shall overcome
4,192,796 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,482 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,785
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
Logan, I have no problem with sanctions or taking the little boys daddy to court. But shooting at the little boy or bombing his house are not sanctions. In this case the little boy has not thrown any rocks over the fence yet. Should he be shot because he might?

I believe you misread my tome. It made clear that rocks were being tossed over the fence; they just had not yet done serious damage. Must we wait until they do before we can stop the launching of those missiles? Or may we remove the missiles to eliminate the problem?

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Personally, I favor using it as an opportunity to test our interception technology rather than any aggressive action directly against the mainland of North Korea.

If one wishes to play the game of shooting down one of this fellow's missles as a test: (1) one had better be 100% certain that one can shoot it down, else we will end up looking the right prat -- not to mention losing serious deterent cred, and (2) one had better be prepared for, at the least, a possible retaliatory strike (large or small) on Seoul, South Korea or a site that is less of a tripwire. And with 30 some thousand US troops still babysitting the South Koreans, we probably end up with a resumption of the Korean War and lots of instant boots on the ground. in other words, a decision to shoot down one of this fellow's missile is also a decision to go to war.
South Korea's Defense Ministry said the North had amassed more than 13,000 pieces of artillery and multiple rocket launchers, much of it aimed at Seoul.

Jane's International Defense Review estimates that if North Korea launched an all-out barrage, it could achieve an initial fire rate of 300,000 to 500,000 shells per hour into the Seoul area -- home to about half the country's 48.5 million people.

GOT BIG GUNS?:-)
Yours,
Issodhos

"When all has been said that can be said, and all has been done that can be done, there will be poetry";-) -- Issodhos
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
North Korea's military is perfectly designed to invade and occupy South Korea, but of course that would not get them much benefit since SK's wealth is in it's people and business relationships with the rest of the world.

NK could not invade much anywhere else and occupy that territory for very long, without getting their collective asses kicked.

They also don't have the ability to mount one of their nuclear weapons on an ICBM, and deliver it to anyplace that would threaten us. But what they do have is a navy and also plenty of cargo ships. They could very easily react to a missile shoot-down by placing a few of their nukes inside shipping containers, and then sailing them into San Francisco bay, Honolulu, and Long Beach for simultaneous detonation.

For some silly reason, people are fixated on missiles. (Yes, I know they look great in a parade.) I suspect it's a phallic thing. Shipping containers are much more reliable, and way, way cheaper.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by issodhos
a decision to shoot down one of this fellow's missile is also a decision to go to war.

I couldnt agree more.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a decision to shoot down one of this fellow's missile is also a decision to go to war.

Well said, Issodhos. I tried to point out earlier that North Korea has massive forces aimed at a country protected by the United States. Consensus among the 57% here who favor military action seems to be that they couldn't afford to fight the war for very long. They already have the guns, the ammunition, The soldiers and even the nukes. They have the infrastructure in place and they have, most of all, the desire to kill Americans. Those 30,000 troops in South Korea become nothing but cannon fodder. We didn't score a definite win in Korea the first time. North Vietnam was also a poor country, they whipped our asses royally. After seven years in Iraq all we have achieved is an uncomfortable impasse, and they had NO ARMY AT ALL.
Americans have this misguided notion that were are all powerful, able to leap tall buildings at a single bound. More often than not we fall on our faces.
Logan. Yes, you must wait until damage occurs. When the little boys daddy gets your summons to go to court he will walk next door and kill your clients. You will win your case but your client will die. There will be no one left to pay your bill.
You both lose. The neighbor is crazy, he doesn't give a damn.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
A
stranger
stranger
A
Those 30,000 troops in the ROK are nothing but cannon fodder. The brigade that mans the DMZ has, or had a motto: "Stands Alone". They have, or had, DIP orders. Die In Place orders(Actually, I don't know if the DIP orders are true or not. That may have been a case of GIs braggin about how bad-a** they are.) They are a tripwire, though. If the DPRK were to invade the ROK,the full might of the US military would then be brought down on them. That was supposed to be the deterrent. At least, that's how it was when I was still in the army.

It seems the missle was launched succesfully, and crashed into the Pacific. It also seems that the DPRK is touting the success of thier launch, and the "fact" that they now have a satellite in orbit. Kinda sad, really.

Maybe Kim Jong-Il finally saw "Team America:World Police" and is unhappy with his portrayal. He can sing better than that. wink

"When fascism comes to this country it will be draped in the flag and carrying a cross"-Sinclair Lewis
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Or perhaps Kim read "King David's Spaceship".

Plot summary: Ruler of a planet recruits a loyal soldier to go into space in a jury-rigged ship-of-no-return, so the alien federation visiting will treat the planet's civilization as "space-faring". (IE. not treat them as savages.) Happy ending has the brave (foolhardy) astronaut rescued by the aliens, and they decide a single one-way trip qualifies.

Kim now claims a satellite, ICBMs, and his nukes. Now he has a "big-boy" country...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If anything needs a military response, it is the piracy problem off the horn of Africa. Why don't ships traveling those routes have a squad of soldiers and some 50 caliber machine guns mounted on the decks?

Or even more curious: Why havn't some groups of mercenarys followed the pirates home, to steal their ransom money?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why don't ships traveling those routes have a squad of soldiers and some 50 caliber machine guns mounted on the decks?
Since, as yet, there is no functioning world police force it seems to me that shipping companies should hire whatever security forces are necessary to protect their vessels. What's Blackwater up to these days?

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Actually, they are already doing so. Even the US Navy has deployed ships and personnel to combat piracy.

Furthermore, the US managed to pressure the United Nations into sanctioning incursions into Somalia by foreign armed forces in pursuit of pirates, as PIA suggests above.

You all can see how effective these means have been, as is so tiresomely often the case when thinking is confined to the "military response" box instead of identifying and addressing the underlying conditions that guarantee escalation rather than mitigation will result. We saw this in Iraq, where a "cakewalk" that would be over in "weeks rather than months" turned into a seven-year, $2 Trillion debacle with hundreds of thousands killed and millions displaced. We see this in Afghanistan, rapidly coming of age as "Obama's Iraq", and we have the opportunity to see it again in Korea if we decide to poke the hornets' nest.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard