WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ecto #117792 07/01/09 04:30 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ecto
I wish I could afford to have acupuncture done on a regular basis as its actually afforded me some of the best results when I actually have one but I can't get it done enough to prevent them.

Acupuncture is covered on the provincial medical plan here in British Columbia.

It should be covered on American plans. It works at least as well as other medical procedures.

But the mantra of the Medical Establishment is:

Only poisons and knives, please! That's where the money is!

numan #117802 07/01/09 05:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Right. That would explain why my chiropractor bills my insurance before he bills me. rolleyes

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
E
stranger
stranger
E
My HMO covers chiropractor too, just wish it worked as well, tried for over 2 years with only a slight alleviation of the problem, change in diet did more than the chiro ever did.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by california rick
Because we're mere plebes and we're weak against the almighty government. The only way to meet the government and see eye-to-eye with them, is to higher a lawyer, which elevates us, literally, to the grand-high level of the government.

...bascially, a lawyer gives us access to the elevator that takes us up to where the government is.

Else, we plebes are simply looked down upon, scoffed at, and big brother government will tell us what we need to know, and when.

This is a very interesting take on the matter, CR. The government, for the most part, doesn't invent the drugs, produce them, or sell them. Blaming the government for the side effects of drugs is kind of like blaming Brian Williams for the events he covers in the evening news.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
veteran
veteran
It's not that cut and dried, not all black and white - and there is some responsibility on the consumer when information is available.

Years ago I went to a doctor with a nail fungus. He offered me a choice - a drug which might damage my liver, or just living with the damn nail. I chose to keep my liver, thank you very much (and then, years later, found tea tree oil to treat the fungus.)

Also years ago, I went to a doctor with a debilitating illness. He offered me a drug that would give me a nearly-normal lifespan, the trade being the destruction of my thyroid, or a much shorter life. This time, I tossed the thyroid overboard and after about 10 years, began taking thyroid replacements.

In both cases the doctor offered me a solution, explained the downside, and gave me an alternative. Maybe I've just been lucky in my selection of doctors (which, in turn, was pretty much driven by the doctors listed with my employer's insurance plan.)

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad

I know that the pharmacological industry is screwing us. I know that doctors are in cahoots with them. But I have had severe hypertension for nearly two years. It has taken that long to find the right medication for me. My cardiologist has said that there is no one medication for everyone, that each person reacts differently. I think we tried 6 or 7 different ones. Meds that worked for others didn't work for me or caused severe reactions of some sort. I am happy now to have a little pill to take very night that keeps my blood pressure normal. I also have an autoimmune disease that a medication is keeping stable and sometimes in remission. So two little pills every night help me move without pain and breathe a lot easier.

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
numan #117890 07/01/09 11:37 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by numan
Originally Posted by Ecto
I wish I could afford to have acupuncture done on a regular basis as its actually afforded me some of the best results when I actually have one but I can't get it done enough to prevent them.

Acupuncture is covered on the provincial medical plan here in British Columbia.

It should be covered on American plans. It works at least as well as other medical procedures.

But the mantra of the Medical Establishment is:

Only poisons and knives, please! That's where the money is!

My insurance covers acupuncture, chiropractic and naturopathic. I have physicians in the family, but I'd rather avoid seeing them if at all possible. I like naturopathic doctors.

I don't take any drugs other than doxipen off label to sleep. I don't know that I need it now. I do know that you can't simply quit taking doxipen, the withdrawal is said to be less than pleasant. In the fall I'll take a week off and with the doc's supervision I'll ween meself of doxipen.

I've decided at this point in life it is better to exercise and make radical changes to my diet rather than to take a handful of feckin chemicals everyday.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Being a brittle diabetic on the point of dialysis, I have to take a handful of feckin chemicals every day, plus exercise and a radical diet change... frown

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

I've decided at this point in life it is better to exercise and make radical changes to my diet rather than to take a handful of feckin chemicals everyday.

You are very fortunate, Mickey. About four and a half years ago I made radical changes to my diet and started exercising. There are some medical problems that diet and exercise can't cure, unfortunately.

Emma

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
EmmaG #117897 07/02/09 12:56 AM
veteran
veteran
Yep - a lot of it is just genetic. I can live very carefully - and am much better about choices than I used to be - but nothing will change the fact that I have a 1 in 2 chance of developing diabetes, or that stroke, high blood pressure, and heart (as well as diabetes) were there in some combination in both parents and all grandparents.

Diet and exercise are not going to completely override those genes, or those odds. Which is not to say that I won't do my best.

So long as I have a choice between Lipitor and a heart attack, I'll probably choose Lipitor -- if I have to choose, and if nothing better comes along.

That may be stupid or naive, but heart attacks hurt, and open-heart surgery hurts like hell.

If Zicam and Lipitor attacked the same problem, the comparison would be more reasonable.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard