WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33
E
stranger
stranger
E
I haven't read the entire thread, I don't really have the heart to as I can tell it would be pretty fruitless to. But as to the names of some great American authors...

Theodor Seuss Geisel or as most know him, Dr. Seuss. I'm sure numan will poo poo him, but his name will outlast most, he was both an author and artist. And his papers are housed where I work, UCSD.
Now for stuff that numan might consider more *ahem*... cultured... may I point at UCSD's Archive for New Poetry Almost all American, some well known, some not, but poets often aren't except for those in the field.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would like to mention that Austin, Texas is coined, "The Live Music Capital of the World". Now that might sound a bit Texan cuz it's always been sort of a Texas thing to say that everything in Texas is big. But, there are untold number of bands in every venue possible that travels to Austin to play.

But, one really dominate factor is for the many who visit Austin specifically to catch Texas Blues, Texas Rock-A-Billy, Texas Infusion with all types of music. Some believe that there is a very unique flavor and art to the Texas music influence mixed with other types of music such as...Chicago Blues.

So the art of music seems to flow through the streets of downtown Austin like wine in Napa Valley.

By the way...it's not at all uncommon for European bands to make their way to Austin.

Turn on ANY brand of political machine - and it automatically goes to the "SPIN and LIE CYCLE" wink

Yours Truly - Gregg

veteran
veteran
you texicans are uncouth braggards. ThumbsUp

sure, you can talk to god, but if you don't listen then what's the use? so, onward through the fog!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 2wins

Ohhhhhh, 2Wins...absolutely can't deny your observation. Texicans are...well, Texicans. Since I'm born and raised it's hard to imagine being anything else...except maybe I'd like to be an Idahodian...like say near Sun Valley.

Here's To Texas[Linked Image from i644.photobucket.com] and all the other great states.

Turn on ANY brand of political machine - and it automatically goes to the "SPIN and LIE CYCLE" wink

Yours Truly - Gregg

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by AustinRanter
Originally Posted by 2wins

Ohhhhhh, 2Wins...absolutely can't deny your observation. Texicans are...well, Texicans. Since I'm born and raised it's hard to imagine being anything else...except maybe I'd like to be an Idahodian...like say near Sun Valley.

Here's To Texas[Linked Image from i644.photobucket.com] and all the other great states.
ROTFMOL
Oh oh....Austin is doing a...mine is bigger than yours thing! laugh
Yes darlin, yours is bigger than mine.
It is.

I wonder about per capita though.

Your South X Southwest has an Athens stage. grin

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by numan
Meanwhile, back in the world of High Culture, which alone makes life worth living....

Those who live in the lowlands may think that art is merely a matter of taste, and mock the distant mountains which they have never seen.

But those who have wandered, however briefly, among the towering peaks of Great Art, can never again be satisfied with the Cities of the Plain.

numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ecto
But as to the names of some great American authors...

Theodor Seuss Geisel or as most know him, Dr. Seuss. I'm sure numan will poo poo him, but his name will outlast most, he was both an author and artist.

On the contrary, I agree with you; Dr. Seuss was a great American. He was unique: original, artistic and, rarest of all things in the American scene, he had a positive influence on the lives of many millions of human beings. I used his books when I was teaching a class of graduate students in a Japanese University!

A great proportion of the positive education of young Americans can be traced back to attitudes and techniques which he pioneered. Unlike most of his fellow citizens, he truly cared about children, and did as much as one person could to instruct them, and counteract the negative influences which surround American children and which batter, abuse and subvert their young, tender spirits.

veteran
veteran
Meanwhile, back in the world of High Culture, which alone makes life worth living....
Numan, I find that sad.
High culture ALONE makes life worth living?
Not me. I'd rather just not, I think. That's not living.

Haven't you ever just wanted to dance in the streets, man?
Maybe even in the rain?
Maybe even naked?
Be stupid and spontaneous?

If I thought I had to (HAD TO) understand and appreciate all ancient art forms in order to validate my life, I think that would be enough for me to want to check out.
That's just too heavy for me.
Art should be about what touches you.
What makes one person shallow and another deep? Why does it matter?
Who are you to say? And why is your way better?

You started this thread to negate all American art and effort.

I don't have a measure stick like you apparently do.
I just don't feel the need to even have one.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Kinky Friedman and Fred Reed provide me with half my cultural leanings, some of the old European masters another third, and the rest is rock and roll.

But "A Brass Pole in Bangkok" is a trip to ecstasyland.
Lots of culture in them thar pages.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by olyve
Haven't you ever just wanted to dance in the streets, man?
Maybe even in the rain?
Maybe even naked?
Be stupid and spontaneous?

I wonder why you think that dancing in the streets is antithetical to High Culture?

And stupidity and spontaneousness are often very important to the creative process --- just so long as the stupidity does not become excessive, as it does in certain nations which shall be nameless, but which ye wot well.

What makes one person shallow and another deep?

Ah, that is a deep question! And it would require a deep analysis on another thread.

Why does it matter?

It matters because the shallow people are destroying the Earth.

Page 19 of 33 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard