WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The thing is the PE requirment applies to everyone unless you have an exemption. this course requirement only applied if you were of certain characterstics. I see that as a major distinction. I just don't like singling out one type of student for this course. In all likelihood, many of those near the BMI number will in time exceed it, and could use a well run education program on exercise and eating. So to me if you require such a course apply the requirement to everyone, as is done in the California undergrad systems.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
From the last link:

At the end of the day, the faculty agreed that the BMI assessment test will no longer be used to place students into the "Fitness for Life" course (HPR 103). The faculty also agreed that instructors will cover a multiplicity of health risk topics in HPR 101, the "Dimensions of Wellness" a course required of all Lincoln University students.

Faculty will recommend the "Fitness for Life" course to those students with potential health risks, but enrollment will not be mandatory.

Thanks, Sky...I should have checked that out before posting the last reply.

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
veteran
veteran
For the record - Lincoln University is a private, historically black university in Pennsylvania. I did some consulting work there years and years ago; later knew someone who worked there.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Given this data, Obesity Trends in the US , Lincoln University should be lauded for its efforts to educate students.
Obesity by Race/Ethnicity 2006-2008 - New Obesity Data Shows Blacks Have the Highest Rates of Obesity

Blacks had 51 percent higher prevalence of obesity, and Hispanics had 21 percent higher obesity prevalence compared with whites. Greater prevalences of obesity for blacks and whites were found in the South and Midwest than in the West and Northeast.

SkyHawk
veteran
veteran
I believe I remember reading - have no idea where - that the incidence of obesity in the black population, and the diabetes and high blood pressure that follow it - were part of LU's concern when they started the program. I can't swear to it, though, as it was some time ago.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
The thing is the PE requirment applies to everyone unless you have an exemption. this course requirement only applied if you were of certain characterstics. I see that as a major distinction. I just don't like singling out one type of student for this course. In all likelihood, many of those near the BMI number will in time exceed it, and could use a well run education program on exercise and eating. So to me if you require such a course apply the requirement to everyone, as is done in the California undergrad systems.
No one should be required to take a college PE class; however, since the government will probably declare a "war on obesity" and tie it in with health insurance (I wouldn't be too surprised if BIG PHARMA has an anti-obesity drug that the schools will administer along with their Ritalin), there should be exemptions for the physically fit. If you pass some simple objective tests, then you're exempt from PE. However, I would include a swimming test as part of the exam. I believe that people should at least know how to float or dog-paddle. Bottom line is that some people just don't want to move their butts. Personally, I believe that walking, yoga, gardening, bowling, or whatever activity someone enjoys is enough for most people to maintain some level of physical fitness.

H
old hand
old hand
H
Good points, Almost. Thanks for clarifying.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
No one should be required to take a college PE class; however, since the government will probably declare a "war on obesity" and tie it in with health insurance (I wouldn't be too surprised if BIG PHARMA has an anti-obesity drug that the schools will administer along with their Ritalin), there should be exemptions for the physically fit. If you pass some simple objective tests, then you're exempt from PE. However, I would include a swimming test as part of the exam. I believe that people should at least know how to float or dog-paddle. Bottom line is that some people just don't want to move their butts. Personally, I believe that walking, yoga, gardening, bowling, or whatever activity someone enjoys is enough for most people to maintain some level of physical fitness.

Why? Why shouldn't a basic PE class be part of an undergraduate's curriculum. Typically you have to take at least one course in math, physics, chemistry, biology, english, history, etc, why not PE? A well rounded education does not end at your brain. Universities ARE NOT vocational schools. You are not there to learn a trade, you are there to become a well rounded individual, yes you learn things that you use later on (sometimes), but it is so much more than that. You are there to also try new things, to discover things that you might not have even known you were interested in.

Also, a PE requirement could be satisfied by something other than what many think of "P.E.". It could be satisfied by a dance class, it could be satisfied by a weight training class, a yoga class, a health class, a martial arts class. Universities tend to have a wide range of physical activity classes available.

Finally, you know the required curriculum going into the university you apply to. No one is "making" you take these courses. You know this is what you have to do to graduate when you apply to this college. I work at a university with six colleges. Each college has different requirements for graduation, and a different set of undergraduate course work you have to satisfy to get that diploma. Applicants to the university pick which college they want to go to based on which set of undergrad requirements they want to have to go through, and yes, some are a lot more rigorous than others.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
...since the government will probably declare a "war on obesity" and tie it in with health insurance
This is already happening. My company takes $120.00 off our annual insurance premiums if our cholesterol, LDL, and blood pressure is lower than the year before. We need to submit our paperwork to Benefits by November 15th of each year for our discount to take effect on January 1st.

No one should be required to take a college PE class...
I disagree. Exercise needs to be a learned life-long habit. There's nothing wrong with looking tight 'n tastey your whole life. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Admin Emeritus
old hand
Admin Emeritus
old hand
Originally Posted by Ecto
Why? Why shouldn't a basic PE class be part of an undergraduate's curriculum. Typically you have to take at least one course in math, physics, chemistry, biology, english, history, etc, why not PE? A well rounded education does not end at your brain. Universities ARE NOT vocational schools. You are not there to learn a trade, you are there to become a well rounded individual, yes you learn things that you use later on (sometimes), but it is so much more than that. You are there to also try new things, to discover things that you might not have even known you were interested in.

Also, a PE requirement could be satisfied by something other than what many think of "P.E.". It could be satisfied by a dance class, it could be satisfied by a weight training class, a yoga class, a health class, a martial arts class. Universities tend to have a wide range of physical activity classes available.

Finally, you know the required curriculum going into the university you apply to. No one is "making" you take these courses. You know this is what you have to do to graduate when you apply to this college. I work at a university with six colleges. Each college has different requirements for graduation, and a different set of undergraduate course work you have to satisfy to get that diploma. Applicants to the university pick which college they want to go to based on which set of undergrad requirements they want to have to go through, and yes, some are a lot more rigorous than others.
Well stated, Ecto! ThumbsUp

My first college P.E class was a scuba diving course. It began a life-long love affair with the ocean for me. My second was fencing, which to me is like physical chess. Great fun, and a hell of a workout!

SkyHawk
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard