WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The main difference I like with Fox are the add-ons, although with IE8 more are available for it now it seems.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
E
stranger
stranger
E
For the user most of the browsers are the same, actually, that isn't as true anymore, javascript speed in the latest iterations of firefox, opera, safari and chrome far outstrips that in IE. Safari is my standard but Chrome is becoming my new favorite.

For those of us that develop for the web IE is a giant hairy pustule on our bum. It is the least standards compliant browser out there (all versions, 8 is better but it's still WAY behind). As a developer, I write to the standards, that gets my code working on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc., then I have to go back and do my Microsoft test and write a special stylesheet to make everything work right with IE, and trust me when I say this, it never works right the first time. I always have to noodle with something. Years of experience have taught me how to minimize what I'll need to do in the first place but I still need to do it. So when friends ask me what browser to use, I say anything but IE. And as I do have control over what people in my department use, I smack their hands if I catch them using the hated browser for anything but system updates.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a Firefox guy. With an unusually slow dialup connection as my only link to the interwebs, the difference in speed between Firefox ans IE is noticeable and remarkable.I haven't tried the other newer browsers. Our friend and colleague Stereoman once said:
Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Greger
I'm a Firefox guy. With an unusually slow dialup connection as my only link to the interwebs, the difference in speed between Firefox ans IE is noticeable and remarkable.I haven't tried the other newer browsers. Our friend and colleague Stereoman once said:
Friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer
and yes
Originally Posted by Ecto
So when friends ask me what browser to use, I say anything but IE. And as I do have control over what people in my department use, I smack their hands if I catch them using the hated browser for anything but system updates.

My son in law (who writes computer programs) said IE is evil.
My kids finally removed it from my computer and said "Mommy. No more!"
Talk about viruses not to mention slow.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have Firefox...and used it exclusively for a while...but Safari seems to work better on my Mac. No problems with that.

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace." ...Albert Schweitzer
veteran
veteran
firefox here!

in other news i also use open office.

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

I'm a Firefox user. I love the add-ons, especially AdBlock. At work we are forced to use IE.

EmmaG

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
My favorite FF add on is DOWNLOAD HELPER, pulls video streams off most internet sites clean as a whistle and will even do file format conversions in the background to most major formats incl

MPEG-1 or 2, WMV, QT, MPEG-4 AVI, DV-AVI and a few others.
On the little computer (a single core 64 bit AMD running XP) the conversions take a couple of minutes for every minute of video.
On the main editing workstation the conversions are completed almost as fast as I can press the damn button!

There ARE one or two well known sites that it wont work on.
Hulu defies attempts to download streams, at least for me. None of the add ons I have tried will do it.
I've managed with a screen capture tool but less than thrilled with it.

I am sure that I could connect an analog capture card and play the video output into another analog card and get anything I want that way. There's more than one way to skin a cat of course.
Still, I am amazed that FF add ons like DH work so well.
I remember when it was amazing to get ASCII art!

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I just started a new thread for tips, tricks and things that work for computers in case you would like to continue that pert of this discussion there.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
J
veteran
veteran
J
I use Firefox and recently (last two weeks or so) whenever the computer begins to download Firefox upgrade 3.5.7 the following Norton message appears:You are one of the very first Norton Users to download this file. We recommend not using file until more is know about it. Anyone else encountering this situation?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard