WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
'

Ann Coulter gets cold shoulder in Ottawa

“We, of course, are always delighted to welcome speakers on our campus and hope that they will contribute positively to the meaningful exchange of ideas that is the hallmark of a great university campus,” wrote Francois Houle, vice-president academic and University of Ottawa's provost.

After mentioning the Charter of Rights and Canada's free speech laws, Mr. Houle invited Coulter to “educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada” and noted, by example, that “promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges.”

Ms. Coulter is famous for saying “not all Muslims may be terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslims.”

She also famously ranted that “the government should be spying on all Arabs, engaging in torture as a televised spectator sport, dropping daisy cutters wantonly throughout the Middle East, and sending liberals to Guantanamo.”
She's perhaps best known in Canada for saying this country is “lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent” after the Canadian government refused to join the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

[SNIP]

Ms. Coulter's reported $10,000-per-speech fee, meanwhile, is being covered with the assistance of the Claire Boothe Luce Policy Institute, an American outfit that calls itself the “home of conservative women leaders.” It lists Margaret Thatcher and Sarah Palin among those who “have inspired millions and impacted the world for the better.”
[Linked Image from 33smiley.com]

old hand
old hand
Canada is FULL of cold shoulders. It's still winter up there!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
'

NEWS FLASH! -- Right-wing U.S. firebrand Ann Coulter will file grievance with rights panel

Speaking to students and academics at the University of Western Ontario Monday, Coulter said the e-mail sent to her Friday by Francois Houle, vice-president academic and provost of the University of Ottawa, targeted her as a member of an identifiable group and as such, she will be filing a complaint with the Human Rights Commission alleging hate speech. “I think I’m the victim of a hate crime here. Either what (Mr. Houle) did was a hate crime, or the whole commission is BS.”

Even though Coulter is not a Canadian citizen, Levant, who has been involved in human rights law cases, said it would not be “outlandish” for Coulter to file a complaint against the University of Ottawa, especially in light of the 1985 Singh v. Minister of Employment and Immigration case.

The decision in that case, considered a leading constitutional decision by the Supreme Court of Canada, said that foreign nationals are protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

How different, how very different from the situation of foreign nationals in the good ole U. S. of A.! wink

C
old hand
old hand
C
Why do I feel the need to shower immediately after reading, hearing or seeing anything about this cretin?

Last edited by Chuck Howard; 03/23/10 07:55 PM.
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard
Why do I feel the need to shower immediately after reading, hearing or seeing anything about this cretin?

You are to be commended for a proper sense of hygiene.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Ann Coulter has feelings? [Linked Image from i48.photobucket.com]

Contrarian, extraordinaire

A
veteran
veteran
A
In my yute, I did not understand the definition of Skank.

Now I do.

"There was never a good war or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by agnostic
In my yute, I did not understand the definition of Skank.

Now I do.

LOL

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran
I thought it quite kind of the provost to explain the laws of his country to his guest.

Although there's part of me that wishes they would have just kept quiet and arrested her.

But that's an Unkind and Ungenerous Thought.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
numan Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
'

The CBC quotes the Canadian Criminal Code on Hate Crimes: What is a hate crime?

Section 319

(1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of an indictable offence....

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of an indictable offence....

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)

(a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;
(b) if, in good faith, he expressed or attempted to establish by argument an opinion on a religious subject;
(c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or
(d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

Poor, abused Ms. Coulter doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Even if, by some wild stretch of the imagination, the bland comment of the Provost of the University of Ottawa could be construed as expressing hate, it was made in a private communication, which became public only because the Hysterical Harpy of the Yanklands screeched it to the winds. Since it was not a public statement, it would be instantly tossed out of any Canadian court as not constituting a Hate Crime.

As an American, I instantly opine that Ms. Coulter is grandstanding for publicity. Could even a Canadian give her the benefit of the doubt? I don't think so.

Though it is a tempest in a teacup, I don't think it is a bad thing.

Every so often, Canadians should be exposed to a hysterical American, so that they might realize how lucky they are.

Last edited by numan; 03/24/10 01:36 AM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard