WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 53 of 82 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 81 82
C
stranger
stranger
C
Both groups seem to want the government to authorize, sanctify, bless, make official, endorse or in some way sanction “marriage”. Implicit in the popular, but not necessarily legal, meaning of the word “marriage” is intimacy or a very special personal relationship.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by ChristianMiller
Implicit in the popular, but not necessarily legal, meaning of the word “marriage” is intimacy or a very special personal relationship.
A very special personal relationship may or may not include intimacy, so I think that is not germane to the point.

You and I apparently agree that there is nothing about "intimacy" implied by the legal institution of marriage, so I am still left wondering what led you to observe that religious conservatives and the gay community want government involvement in their intimate personal lives.

It appears to me more a case that the religious right wants to create a standard for marriage relationships between same-gendered couples that does not exist for different-gendered couples; namely, that same-gendered couples are assumed to have intimate sexual relations that the religious right believes to be "an abomination" and thus should be prohibited by law from the legal institution of marriage, whereas different-gendered couples are not assumed to have any sexual relations at all.

Does that seem a fair assessment to you?

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)

C
stranger
stranger
C
Both groups seem to want the government to authorize, sanctify, bless, make official, endorse or in some way sanction “marriage”. Implicit in the popular, but not necessarily legal, meaning of the word “marriage” is intimacy or a very special personal relationship.

C
stranger
stranger
C

C
stranger
stranger
C
Sorry about the repetition. I was having some difficulty.
If we accept your very clever phrase that "government does not in any way require or even inquire about a couple's intimacy", then what is the point of government's involvement in marriage?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Steve

(Native American prayer)

C
stranger
stranger
C
Yes, I agree. There are a great number of points of government involvement in marriage at the county, state and federal levels. I would submit, however, that there is no compelling justification for any one of them. For example what justification is there for a rich spouse to collect social security based solely on being or having been married while a poor elderly single person might collect nothing?

Last edited by ChristianMiller; 02/23/09 11:54 PM. Reason: needed more accurate word
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It looks to me like us single people are getting the screwed....Well, not literally but we're getting the shaft.....
No, that's not right either.....it seems unfair that just because you have a significant other that you get preferential treatment by the government.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Greger
It looks to me like us single people are getting the screwed....Well, not literally but we're getting the shaft.....
No, that's not right either.....it seems unfair that just because you have a significant other that you get preferential treatment by the government.
I absolutely agree Greger, and you won't get an argument on that point from gays. But even with all benefits and privileges now held exclusively by married couples were removed, there would still be an inequity if only one class can marry.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by ChristianMiller
. . . there is no compelling justification for any one of them.
We're on the same page there, CM.

Originally Posted by Greger
...it seems unfair that just because you have a significant other that you get preferential treatment by the government.
That's the crux of the problem, isn't it? I mean, you don't get preferential treatment "just because you have a significant other". You get preferential treatment because you and a person of the other gender obtain a license from the government designating you a "married couple" even if you share no personal relationship whatsoever!!!

Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
But even with all benefits and privileges now held exclusively by married couples were removed, there would still be an inequity if only one class can marry.
If there were no benefits and privileges, do you think the government would continue to issue the license?

Steve

(Native American prayer)

Page 53 of 82 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard