WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 6 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,530 my own book page
5,016,583 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,741 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 59 of 82 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 81 82
#106863 04/08/09 08:26 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
What I was suggesting is that any change at all to the State Constitution should require a supermajority, by any route. No distinction between "amendments" and "revisions".

Adding, subtracting, or modifying the laws should require only a simple majority vote in the legislature and in a ballot initiative.

The Constitution is supposed to be the basic social contract, and should not be easy to change.

veteran
veteran

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

old hand
old hand

Life is Good!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Schlack
The depths to which some people will go still astounds me.

In case you couldn't get to the other video...
Crooks and Liars - NOM Exposed

Last edited by NW Ponderer; 04/11/09 10:56 PM. Reason: Add Link

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#107272 04/12/09 04:02 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
...gotta love this:

Religious Right Group Claims Same Sex Marriage Leads to Mass Murder

Geez, Louise, the nutters are coming out of the woodworks! laugh

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
What I was suggesting is that any change at all to the State Constitution should require a supermajority, by any route. No distinction between "amendments" and "revisions".

Adding, subtracting, or modifying the laws should require only a simple majority vote in the legislature and in a ballot initiative.

The Constitution is supposed to be the basic social contract, and should not be easy to change.
Given what has happened in Iowa and Vermont in recent days, and given that the CA Supreme Court has the opportunity rule that Prop 8 is a revision to the CA Constitution and not an admendment, the CA Supreme Court can align itself with the current trend across the country.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by california rick
...gotta love this:

Religious Right Group Claims Same Sex Marriage Leads to Mass Murder

Geez, Louise, the nutters are coming out of the woodworks! laugh

This was a shock to me. I thought I had paid pretty close attention to history classes throughout high school and college. Apparently I did not. It was my understanding until reading this post that the so-called sexual revolution took place roughly between A.D. 1963 and 1975. Apparently, it was in fact, several centuries prior to that.

Else, it could not have preceded the Spanish Inquisition, the burning of witches, the mass extermination of Native Americans, or the Holocaust!

I was not previously aware that Popes Lucius III and Gregory IX were married to men, that Eva Braun was in fact a man to whom Adolf Hitler was married, that Cotton Mather was married to Miles Standish, or that Generals Sherman, Sheridan, Custer, and others all married West Point classmates!

It is amazing what one can learn here at Reader Rant!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The current governor of a major U.S. southern state, the campaign manager of a U.S. president, a senior West Coast congressman, a former mayor of New York City, and others are among those outed in Kirby Dick’s “Outrage,” a provocative new documentary debuting tomorrow night at the Tribeca Film Festival. Unseen in its finished form until yesterday, the film is likely to cause waves in political and media circles as word gets out about its subject matter. (indieWIRE watched the final cut of the documentary on Thursday.)

To seasoned politicos, those named as closeted gay politicians in Kirby Dick’s “Outrage” - many of them socially conservative Republicans - will not come as a complete surprise. Indeed many of those profiled in the film, have had rumors swirling around them in political circles and alternative media already - and some for years. Nevertheless, the mainstream media have been hesitant and even openly reluctant to pursue the truth about allegedly gay politicians from the past and present.
First Look: Kirby Dick’s “Outrage”; New Tribeca Doc Names Names

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
The current governor of a major U.S. southern state, the campaign manager of a U.S. president, a senior West Coast congressman, a former mayor of New York City, and others are among those outed in Kirby Dick’s “Outrage,” a provocative new documentary debuting tomorrow night at the Tribeca Film Festival. Unseen in its finished form until yesterday, the film is likely to cause waves in political and media circles as word gets out about its subject matter. (indieWIRE watched the final cut of the documentary on Thursday.)

To seasoned politicos, those named as closeted gay politicians in Kirby Dick’s “Outrage” - many of them socially conservative Republicans - will not come as a complete surprise. Indeed many of those profiled in the film, have had rumors swirling around them in political circles and alternative media already - and some for years. Nevertheless, the mainstream media have been hesitant and even openly reluctant to pursue the truth about allegedly gay politicians from the past and present.
First Look: Kirby Dick’s “Outrage”; New Tribeca Doc Names Names

Is it OK to "out" anyone? Or is that an invasion of privacy?

On one hand, I can see that exposing hypocrisy is important, but OTOH, I have an aversion to those who think that they(in this case, ACT UP) have the right to determine who and who isn't a hypocrit.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Scout, that is a very controversial issue. My own standard is that if a person occupies a public position, whether elected or otherwise, and is public on issues affecting equal rights, gay lifestyle, etc, they have made the question of their sexuality public.

I am not a fan of outing someone because their parent is famous or public on this issue, but certainly any politician who, as all those listed in the article, have made being gay a political issue, are fair game for "outing."

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Page 59 of 82 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard