WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 2 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,493 my own book page
5,016,532 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,674 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 61 of 82 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 81 82
#110385 05/06/09 07:17 PM
old hand
old hand
After reading some of the insanity on the "Can't they be friends" thread, I'm about to switch sides on this subject. If people who belong to the "oppressed" groups can determine in advance which segments of the population can be friends with which other segments of the population, then it seems perfectly rational to me for state legislatures to decide which segments of the population should be allowed to be married to one another. Insanity? Sure. Stupid and silly? Sure. But if the oppressed want to be judgmental, then there is no basis for attacking the "unoppressed" for being similarly judgmental.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by loganrbt
After reading some of the insanity on the "Can't they be friends" thread, I'm about to switch sides on this subject. If people who belong to the "oppressed" groups can determine in advance which segments of the population can be friends with which other segments of the population, then it seems perfectly rational to me for state legislatures to decide which segments of the population should be allowed to be married to one another. Insanity? Sure. Stupid and silly? Sure. But if the oppressed want to be judgmental, then there is no basis for attacking the "unoppressed" for being similarly judgmental.

So gays have to be unbiased, non-judgmental in order to have rights? Why?

And where did you get your conclusions? Not from anything said on that thread. All that is said there is that people have preferences. Don't you?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gay marriage leaps ahead in Maine, New Hampshire
AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — In a banner day for advocates of gay marriage, Maine legalized the practice Wednesday, and the New Hampshire Legislature voted to do the same.

If New Hampshire Gov. John Lynch signs the bill or lets it become law without his signature, his state would become the sixth overall to allow gay marriage and the fifth in New England. Rhode Island would be the region's only holdout.

Maine Gov. John Baldacci, a Democrat who hadn't indicated how he would handle his state's bill, signed it shortly after the legislation passed the Senate on a vote of 21-13 — a margin not large enough to override a veto.

"In the past, I opposed gay marriage while supporting the idea of civil unions," Baldacci said in a statement read in his office. "I have come to believe that this is a question of fairness and of equal protection under the law, and that a civil union is not equal to civil marriage."

Lynch, also a Democrat, remained uncommitted but has said he believes the word "marriage" should be reserved for unions of a man and a woman.

"I'm going to talk to legislators and I'm going to talk to the people of New Hampshire and ultimately make the best decision I can for the people of New Hampshire," the governor said Wednesday evening.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think, Phil, that the reaction was to the judgmental tone that some posters approached the subject with, as well as the underlying "survey" that started that thread, not with your particular comment. I really don't think that Logan is the problem, but it is ironic when victims of intolerance display their own intolerance in writing. I just can't tolerate that, can you? wink

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#110404 05/06/09 10:01 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I think, Phil, that the reaction was to the judgmental tone that some posters approached the subject with, as well as the underlying "survey" that started that thread, not with your particular comment. I really don't think that Logan is the problem, but it is ironic when victims of intolerance display their own intolerance in writing. I just can't tolerate that, can you? wink

I have no intention to argue with Logan or anyone else, but it seems to me intolerable to link intolerance and rights, that is all I was saying.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, I agree entirely. I just took Logan's statement to be sarcastic.

#110411 05/06/09 11:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, not entirely. The other thread suggests in its title and original post that members of certain biological groups can be described as having behavioral traits endemic to being in that group. That seemingly absurd notion has been challenged, but the challenge is refuted by some of the more outspoken champions of this thread.

It's a goose and gander thing. If it is okay for advocates of gay rights to assign behavioral traits on the basis of biological group membership, then it is okay for other people to make similar assignments.

So all I need do to morally oppose gay marriage is believe those who suggest that gay people, regardless of which other gay people comprise their potential circle of friends, lack the requisite behavioral traits to be a married couple. And I can suggest, again morally, that the ability to conceive a child with my marital partner, is a behavioral trait necessary to support marriage rights.

The moral basis for the insistence on rights without regard to behavioral traits, which I have persistently and consistently supported, is called into question by the stereotypical discussion going on elsewhere.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Are you suggesting, logan, that biology has nothing to do with our associational preferences? That is overwhelmingly contradicted by science, so I must have misinterpreted????

Oh my gosh I've landed in Parallel World. shocked

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Are you suggesting, logan, that biology has nothing to do with our associational preferences? That is overwhelmingly contradicted by science, so I must have misinterpreted????

After emphasizing the word "nothing", the answer clearly is, "no". My brain is part of my biology so my biology clearly has something to do with the preferences that result from the synaptic processing that takes place there. The biology that makes me a member of one gender group of the species or drives my sexual interests, however, does not predetermine who my friends will be. What kind of person they are, how the behave toward me and those I love, etc., leads to those choices.

The argument to the contrary is consistent, biologically, morally, and legally, with the argument that my sexual preferences should affect my marital choices.

Page 61 of 82 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard