WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 74 of 82 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 81 82
#114261 06/08/09 03:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bigots divided in Washington State.... Drive to stop gay-partnership law is dividing conservatives LA- Times

"I think we can win on the marriage issue, but if we deplete our capital of money and goodwill in a failed referendum, we will not have the strength to win the marriage battle," Fuiten wrote in his e-mail.

Yet referendum backers argue that public momentum is on their side.

"It's the last incremental step to gay marriage for gay activists," said Gary Randall, president of the Faith & Freedom Network, who is helping coordinate the signature campaign. "We're not trying to take anything from anyone. We're simply trying to defend and keep marriage as it has always been throughout all of human history."
Talk about tortured logic....

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#114277 06/08/09 10:26 AM
old hand
old hand
And he's not a very good historian! His concept of marriage is, in fact, a rather recent phenomenon.

In the early modern period, John Calvin and his Protestant colleagues reformulated Christian marriage by enacting the Marriage Ordinance of Geneva, which imposed "The dual requirements of state registration and church consecration to constitute marriage"[32] for recognition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You know, Logan, that's history that needs to be highlighted in this debate. We Americans have such a skewed perception of history. We forget that the DoMA movement is only one generation ago. We also forget the principles of our nation's foundation more often than we cite them for our particular cause.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#114288 06/08/09 12:34 PM
journeyman
journeyman
A campaign to roll back gay rights that kicked off in Washington state over the weekend has split the Christian conservative community, with some wondering whether it is the right time for a fight and others arguing that time may be running out.

On the heels of the recent California Supreme Court ruling that upheld Proposition 8's prohibition against same-sex marriage, conservative groups here began collecting signatures for a ballot referendum to block a new Washington state law that substantially expands rights for domestic partners.
This isn't even about marriage. Reading the quotes from these religious guys is sickening. They are openly and bluntly saying that gay people are not equal and should have no rights.
Larry Stickney of the Washington Values Alliance, who also backs the referendum, told Fuiten that the recession could help defeat the law because more people were turning to religion after losing their jobs.
That's right Larry, get 'em while their vulnerable. Work on defeating rights within the churches (as usual). Perhaps you could convince them that they lost their jobs because the gays are getting married. .

I have no love for religion, but my mother is a strong Catholic who goes to church almost every day and she will not vote against gays. I suspect that this simplistic worldview that all religious people hate gays and vice versa will lead to your defeat in your noble fight against equality. I also suspect that, like most religious types of your ilk, you will deny hating anyone while working feverishly to take rights away from your fellow citizens. You will claim that it is not hatred because, after all, you believe in God! And that it is the gays that hate because they are fighting back.

He also predicted that passage of a federal hate crimes law this year could introduce legal roadblocks to campaigning against same-sex partnerships.
I, and others, warned that they would not stop at defeating same sex marriage. What a surprise. It makes all of their lies about "not taking rights from anyone" and that they "were only defending the sacred traditional definition of marriage", more transparent.

He also predicted that passage of a federal hate crimes law this year could introduce legal roadblocks to campaigning against same-sex partnerships.

"We may be running out of time to address this issue without fear of jail time," he responded to Fuiten's e-mail.
Wow! Wait a second, did Larry just openly admit that he knows that what they are doing is rooted in hatred? Nice admission. Yes, sadly, if gays have equality, Larry may not be able to openly discriminate. That's not persecution, no matter how much he (and others) try to sell it that way. "jail time"? rolleyes drama queen.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Jeffro, for speaking my mind. Larry Stickney and his ilk are disgusting, and it amazes me that they cannot (willfully will not) see the absurdity of statements like "We're not taking anything away from anyone" while doing precisely that. It is a mental disorder that can be found in the DSM-IV.

#114306 06/08/09 02:45 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The U.S. Supreme Court has turned down a challenge to the Defense Department policy forbidding gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military, granting a request by the Obama administration.

The court said Monday that it will not hear an appeal from former Army Capt. James Pietrangelo II, who was dismissed under the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
MSNBC

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
old hand
old hand
It may be wishful/biased thinking on my part, Phil, but I took this in context of decision not to appeal the 9th Circuit's ruling against DADT and the current makeup of the Supreme Court to be a desire to avoid having this decision decided by the current panel of 9; guessing somebody thinks Kennedy would swing right if there is a vote on this one and not wanting that to happen, the administration argued against the case going forward.

Further complicating the picture, I'm guessing, is a desire to have this matter handled through the executive and legislative branches rather than the judicial so that the final outcome cannot be attacked as "judicial activism" and used as fodder for the 2010 and 2012 cannons.

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I agree with your analysis logan

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I agree with your analysis logan

My gosh! I got one right? ROTFMOL

Last edited by loganrbt; 06/08/09 06:52 PM.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Double right, because I agree too.

Page 74 of 82 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard