WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 5 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,554 my own book page
5,016,623 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,811 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 80 of 82 1 2 78 79 80 81 82
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
In a landmark ruling Thursday that could usher in an era of greater freedom for gay men and lesbians in India, New Delhi’s highest court decriminalized homosexuality.

“The inclusiveness that Indian society traditionally displayed, literally in every aspect of life, is manifest in recognizing a role in society for everyone,” judges of the Delhi High Court wrote in a 105-page decision, India’s first to directly address rights for gay men and lesbians. “Those perceived by the majority as ‘deviants’ or ‘different’ are not on that score excluded or ostracized,” the decision said.

Homosexuality has been illegal in India since 1861, when British rulers codified a law prohibiting “carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal.” The law, known as Section 377 of India’s penal code, has long been viewed as an archaic holdover from colonialism by its detractors.
New York Times
Gotta love the gifts of the British dontcha?

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I'd rather have laws based on illogical British rule, than Puritan thought... rolleyes

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Rick, most of the world's "purtian" laws come courtesy of the British Empire. Not to say toher cultures didn't ban certain behavior, but for the most part it wasn't codified and was dealt with a wink and a nod rather than legal action.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jeff,
I agree with every word. It is obscene that it is still "acceptable" by so many in our society - the majority in some States - that blatant discrimination is "ok;" that bigots can hide behind "religious freedom" to speak hate speech; that simple equality is a fight at all. Yet, the change in attitude that pervades the country is mesmerizing, and sometimes it is hard to see how far we have yet to go. I firmly believe that we will get there - and though I am not personally gay, I still believe it is a "we" - and I even think that it is going to be soon. And I completely sympathize with the frustration you so eloquently evoke, because the goal is so close - at least legally. I also understand the political realities that make those last few yards so difficult to cross. Would that we had a real Supreme Court that believed in the Constitution - and the principles it stands for, rather than the reactionary cabal that currently controls it. When the change comes, I want it to be so vast, so broad, so overwhelming that it sweeps all the detritus away. I think I hear the thunder of the coming storm, and I smile. Don't be patient, but do keep a weather eye out, because in storms there are eddies that can suck us all back out to sea.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
#117986 07/02/09 06:40 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
When the change comes, I want it to be so vast, so broad, so overwhelming that it sweeps all the detritus away. I think I hear the thunder of the coming storm, and I smile. Don't be patient, but do keep a weather eye out, because in storms there are eddies that can suck us all back out to sea.

You are so right on!

Keep your powder dry, and don't shoot till you see the whites of their eyes!

( metaphorically speaking, of course! ) wink

numan #117990 07/02/09 07:28 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
As for "vast", remember this President still opposing gay marriage. So we are not pushing him as far as we want to go, just as far as he said he would go.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Rick, most of the world's "purtian" laws come courtesy of the British Empire. Not to say toher cultures didn't ban certain behavior, but for the most part it wasn't codified and was dealt with a wink and a nod rather than legal action.

Apparently New Hampshire is revolting. Against the laws of the British Empire, I mean.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/new_hampshire_passes_law

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a civil rights group partly founded by Martin Luther King Jr., has threatened to fire the president of its Los Angeles chapter because he supports same-sex marriage.

The Rev. Eric P. Lee, president of the local SCLC chapter for two years, became an outspoken advocate of same-sex marriage during the recent campaign against Proposition 8, an amendment to the state Constitution that banned such unions.

The SCLC national board notified Lee on May 27 that he would have to attend a hearing at its Atlanta headquarters on June 4 to explain his stance on same-sex marriage. If he did not show up, they said, they would suspend and fire him.
Los Angeles Times

Apparently they never heard of Bayard Rustin .

I would guess there is a whole lot of turning over going on in Martin Luther King's grave.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I wrote on another thread, that it was two very religious minority groups that voted against the interest of another minority group in the State of California in Novermber 2008.

Gays are not going to gain anything California with the religious zealots out there.

Black, white, brown - religious zealots hate gays and want us hold down.

Not very peace and love of them, is it?

Bad fundy, bad. No after prayer coffee and cake for you!

Ironically, it was the Bible that was used to prevent interracial marriage; now those same people who were prejudiced against using the Bible, are now themselves, using the Bible to prejudice another minority group.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
'Yoga Cures Gay Disease', Indian Swami Says

Swami Baba Ramdev filed the petition on the grounds that the Delhi High Court "erred" in decriminalising "unnatural sex acts" last week, according to the Indian Express newspaper.

He also reportedly insisted homosexuality was an illness which could be treated.

"It can be treated like any other congenital defect," Swami Ramdev said in the challenge filed in the Supreme Court.

"Such tendencies can be treated by yoga, pranayama (breathing exercises) and other meditation techniques...

...Astrologer Suresh Kumar Kaushal has also filed a petition against the high court decision, arguing that if gay sex is legalised, "tomorrow people might seek permission for having sex with animals".

I'm really getting sick-to-death of these f---tards saying that I have a 'curable disease.' I'm ready to go postal on one of these idiots. Seriously.

Page 80 of 82 1 2 78 79 80 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard