WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 123 of 149 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 148 149
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
I'll give it a try. Even at 700 pages.

And the bardo sounds like a possible setting for a play.

The alternate-history idea does still intrigue me.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
One of the features I love about my Kindle is that I am able to go back to books I never read for either free or cheap. I am almost finished with F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise which I am thoroughly entertained by, despite being nearly a century old. $1 is just the right price too.

Took my Kindle with me to the doctor's office the other day and it makes it so easy to carry around, read everywhere and not lose my place with the bookmark falls out.

Am told they will be lowering the price soon.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
I remember reading an alternate history book years ago called The Indians Won by Martin Cruz Smith. As I recall, after the battle at Little Big Horn, the Indian tribes all group together and form their own country. Seems as though there were some European investors involved. I don't remember much more than that, but I enjoyed it.

I just finished listening to Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, narrated by Norman Dietz. I bought it for a car trip and finished it up a few days ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Dietz was excellent with all the different voices.

I'm now trying to get through The Private Patient by P.D. James, so that I can move on to James Lee Burke's daughter Alafair's novel, Angel's Tip.

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick was a Christmas present. I'd never heard of it. It's a children's book that in terms of size could have served adequately as a doorstop for those wooden doors in medieval castles. I dreaded reading it. But I shouldn’t have. Last night I started it; I finished ten minutes ago.

The most amazing pen-and-ink drawings comprise at least sixty percent of the book. The rest is a narrative that involves orphans and clock repairing and a toy store and the history of the movies and how everything fits together. There's no bio of the author but by the end of the book I was wondering a whole lot about family lines and his last name.

At a minimum I recommend that sometime when you're in a library or bookstore, you find the book and take a look at the drawings. It's a book I'm definitely keeping.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
old hand
old hand
Isn't that fantastic? My wife bought it for our granddaughter as a Christmas gift when she was only one (the granddaughter). She's not old enough really to have it read to her yet but she loves looking through the pictures! For hours. I have been tempted to steal it on more than one occasion and almost bought a copy for myself last time we were in the book store!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
EmmaG #119403 07/12/09 03:13 PM
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by EmmaG
... James Lee Burke's daughter Alafair's novel, Angel's Tip.

'Splain, please?

Sorry for not writing clearly. James Lee Burke has a daughter named Alafair Burke. She has written a novel called "Angel's Tip." My husband is reading it right now.

From Wikipedia:

Alafair S. Burke is an American author, professor of law and legal commentator, born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She is the author of two series of crime novels, one featuring NYPD Detective Ellie Hatcher, the other featuring Portland prosecutor Samantha Kincaid. She received her B.A. in psychology from Reed College, completing the senior thesis "Emotion's effects on memory: spatial narrowing of attention". Burke is a graduate of Stanford Law School, served as a deputy district attorney in Portland, Oregon and is now teaching law at Hofstra Law School. She is the daughter of fellow mystery novelist James Lee Burke.

EmmaG

"I believe very deeply that compassion is the route not only for the evolution of the full human being, but for the very survival of the human race." —The Dalai Lama
EmmaG #119410 07/12/09 04:09 PM
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Wow. I only knew Dave Rochibeaux (sp?) had a daughter named Alafair, who is currently (last book I read) at Reed. OMG. Reality and fiction. They're blurring again.

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by loganrbt
Isn't that fantastic? My wife bought it for our granddaughter as a Christmas gift when she was only one (the granddaughter). She's not old enough really to have it read to her yet but she loves looking through the pictures! For hours. I have been tempted to steal it on more than one occasion and almost bought a copy for myself last time we were in the book store!

My two-book recommendation to anyone connected with children includes Fables by Arnold Lobel and Once upon a time, the End (asleep in 60 seconds) by Geoffrey Kloske and Barry Brit. I thought both were really for adults until a nurse remarked that her six-year-old's favorite book was Fables. I'll probably reread them both this afternoon. Maybe twice.

H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
About four years ago I ordered the paperback edition of Christmas at The New Yorker: Stories, Poems, Humor, and Art. It arrived, and I put it somewhere to be read during the Christmas season. I found it the next January and again put it somewhere to be read during the Christmas season. The pattern repeated itself two more times. Then this past January when once again I found the book, I was no longer willing to illustrate Benjamin Franklin's definition of insanity. I put Christmas at The New Yorker in the middle of the shelf of unreads, and for the past two days I've celebrated Christmas in July.

The book was pretty good. Most of the stories were interesting, and any book that has cartoons and pictures by Charles Addams could never disappoint. Highlights:

1) In a 1960's takeoff of O'Henry's "The Gift of the Magi," the girl takes one look at the crew cut of her hippie boyfriend and "stared as if he were something she had discarded in Scarsdale." (page 41) How perfect, IMHO. Weren't hippies always discarding remnants of Scarsdale, Shaker Heights, Bethesda or Pasadena?

2) In "Crèche" by a Richard Ford—a writer whom I'll be checking out later—there's a wonderful exchange as an uncle irritates a niece. "'It's a town in Michigan where they make fences,' Roger says. 'Fencing, Michigan. It's near Lancing.'" (page 163) Big smile. It amused me.

3) Same story. "Both girls have now become sleepy. There has been too much excitement, or else not enough. Their mother is in rehab. Their dad is an [censored]. They're in Michigan. Who wouldn't be sleepy?" (page 170) Yep. Gonna be checking out that Richard Ford.

4) And at the top of the same page (170), there's a Charles Addams' cartoon where a little girl is playing with a dollhouse under the Christmas tree. Right beside the dollhouse is a smoldering stack of leaves (pieces of paper) and right around the corner is the little brother, driving a toy fire truck, a fiendish smile on his face. I could have stayed on that page forever.

5) Another cartoon (page 214), not Addams but it could have been. Santa and a reindeer are dancing. Caption: "No, this is crazy. We mustn't."

6) Finally, a philosophical note in a story by John Updike—not one of my favorite writers but he sure nails something here. "Strange people look ugly only for a while, until you fill in those tufty monkey features with a little history and stop seeing their faces and start seeing their lives." (page 221) I've certainly found that to be true.

So, I recommend Christmas at The New Yorker. IMHO, it's worth reading at any time of year.

Grammar question: Christmas at The New Yorker seems logically correct to me because something that should be in italics in an already italicized phrase loses the italics—but Christmas at The New Yorker looks better. Anyone know which it should be?

Last edited by humphreysmar; 07/15/09 04:03 PM.

Page 123 of 149 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard