WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 05/19/24 10:33 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 4 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,473 my own book page
5,016,477 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,610 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,285
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,786
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 82 of 82 1 2 80 81 82
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
In the movie Bruno, the character of Bruno goes onto the Richard Bey show in Dallas. The audience is comprised mostly of Black Americans.

The subject is single parenthood.

Everything is great until Bruno mentions finding "Mr. Right."

Then the mostly Black audience turns on him. A black lady stands up and says: You're rising a child and trying to find a brother on the 'downlow'.

See, in the Black community, black men can't be gay - because culturally it's not acceptable - but black men can be on the 'downlow' with is acceptable.

S-l-o-w-l-y we gays are starting to find out the root causes of the win of Prop 8.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Rick, I think it wrong and incorrect to target African Americans for the win on Prop 8. It was not their race that led them to vote as they did, it was their religious convictions. To make it a racial divide misses the point about how to move forward, and that is why I think the author of the commentary I put up is also wrong.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Rick, I think it wrong and incorrect to target African Americans for the win on Prop 8. It was not their race that led them to vote as they did...
I agree. smile

Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
..it was their religious convictions. To make it a racial divide misses the point about how to move forward, and that is why I think the author of the commentary I put up is also wrong.
I also agree that it was religious, but I think you're missing one piece of the puzzle Phil, culturally homosexuality is not accepted within the Black community.

We need to incorporate the cultural climate as well as the religious.

Not all blacks subscribe to the religious or cultural aspects of their community, but we need to recognize the religious and cultural biases within the Black community and not just lie the bias of homosexuality at the feet of the religious.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Inside poop...erm, scoop: wink

President Obama will dispense of DADT and DOMA during his first term.

Source says The Prez is master Chess Player - three moves ahead of everyone else.

Will strike when the moment is right.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
OP Offline
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Episcopal Church leaders in Los Angeles today nominated an openly gay priest and an openly lesbian priest as bishops, becoming one of the first dioceses in the national church to test a controversial new policy that lifted a de facto ban on gays and lesbians in the ordained hierarchy.

The nominations of the Rev. John L. Kirkley of San Francisco and the Rev. Canon Mary Douglas Glasspool of a Baltimore-based diocese are likely to further inflame theological conservatives in the U.S. church and their global partners in the Anglican Communion, who have repeatedly warned about the repercussions of such action.

The two are among six nominees who will face election for two assistant bishop posts at the diocese’s annual December convention in Riverside.

The Diocese of Los Angeles, which represents 70,000 Episcopalians in six counties, is widely regarded as one of the most liberal in the U.S. church of 2.1 million members. Its bishop, the Rt. Rev. J. Jon Bruno, is an outspoken advocate of gays rights in the church.
Los Angeles Times

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I have a thought, which I have had for some time and has tended to give me some humor.

What would happen if our legislatures were to pass a law against political lies. The law would be against any political lies that gets published. If published by government then government gets to pay the price. If anybody else publishes such they to get the pay the price.

I have no idea about paying the price. I just know that it should have the capacity to educate the political liar that political lying is a really bad idea.

I know, its unlikely that such a think might happen. That too is a shame. On reflection the whole thing is, basically, a shame.

As time goes on, and lying becomes, more and more, the new American way.

Ah, "the American way". I remember the good old days when that actually meant something.

1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Most folks are under the perceptions that all politicians lie. Exaggerate, tell half truths when not flat out lying, take things out of context etc. Trust in politicians are now below used car salesmen. That is unless it’s my guy, my party, then whatever they say is gospel. But for most it like the old joke, “How can you tell a politician is lying?” His lips are moving.

Most folks don’t get a bit upset when a politician lies. They expect that, accept it. Most just brush it off. What this has led to is a total lack of trust in governmental institution. Only 27% nowadays have either a lot or a fair amount of trust in the SCOTUS. 8% in congress, 26% in the presidency. For other organizations, institutions, they’re included in this link.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1597/confidence-institutions.aspx

All this lying has eroded confidence in our public institution and in our own government we elect. Good luck on your law. Perhaps because of all the lying and our acceptance of the lies, trust in our own government that we the people elect and send to Washington to govern over us is down to 16%.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2023/09/19/public-trust-in-government-1958-2023/

It's high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first instead of their political party. For way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.
1 member likes this: NW Ponderer
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
How about this. A group is created that studies politicians and how much they lie. There would have to be some rules setup and some way to determine just how much a specific politician lies. For instance, years ago, when Trump was starting out and a newspaper took on a job of defining lies of trump. I think they stopped getting that one straight on something like the 8 thousand Trump lies were defined and they just gave it up. Anyway, the group would need some definitions. They would have to have a set rule about liars and the lies they tell. Some will probably not be aware lies just something said which was not true but thought to be. You know, stuff like that. Anybody could state their thought on specific lies or a politician's specific lies. If such a group was created and it worked then the media might, over time, start to report the group's efforts.

I also know this is not going to happen. I suspect the problem is Trump who, obviously, lies. He does it all the time, he doesn't care if he is right or wrong because he knows two things. The White Christians have decided, in their infinite wisdom, that Trump doesn't lie, What he does is explain his truth which has very little to do with facts. I actually belive that Trump actually believes much of the nonsense he spouts. Those that follow Trump do not exist in real reality so much as 'their' reality which they learned from their lord and master Trump. They are happy there and, apparently they find if a comfy place for them. Its really a very strange place. My original thought about a group that might define political lying just will not work because there is a large group which has decided that living outside of real truth is the way it should be. I could keep talking about this but why. Why bother? Everybody understands what is going on, even those who adore Trump.

We live in very strange times.

Page 82 of 82 1 2 80 81 82

Link Copied to Clipboard