WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 3 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,078,574 my own book page
5,016,696 We shall overcome
4,192,797 Campaign 2016
3,792,248 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,949 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 137 of 149 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 148 149
erinys #156950 07/29/10 09:11 PM
veteran
veteran
And "potsherd" is a fairly common word in the Southwest (that's where I heard it.) But unless you're somewhere where pottery is a common topic of conversation, and/or where theft of pottery from remote areas and/or archeological sites is a major problem, it probably wouldn't come up.

And not only can yogurt be spelled a couple of different ways, it can be pronounced a couple of different ways; I dated an English guy that was always referring to YAHgurts.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad
erinys #157033 07/30/10 04:14 PM
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by erinys
Originally Posted by humphreysmar
1) "He probably looked real scrabous." (page 4) www.dictionary.com has no listing but lists "scabies mite home remedy" on the page. Rough looking? Scabby?

I believe the word is supposed to be scabrous, which does mean "rough to the touch". If the author was trying to use a real word and not just make up her own word.

Thanks. Or maybe a momentary hit of dyslexia overtook me.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Originally Posted by Mellowicious
Oops. Sorry about that one, Martha; it's one of my favorites - I think that's how you ended up with it.

Oh well. I'll try again. I've just finished "The Keep" by Jennifer Egan. She has a new book out that's getting good reviews ("A Visit from the Goon Squad), but I didn't want to start with that one, so I picked up "The Keep."

This is one of those books that will mystify me for a long time, so rather than try to describe it I'll link to an NYT review. I think I read it in three days - she's good at cliff-hanging the chapter endings (grrr.)

I have no idea whether or not she's a great writer but I thought the book was, well, fun. The review compares it to Fowles and that makes sense in that Fowles always fascinates me right up to the last page, and then frustrates me because I still don't really understand the damn book.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/books/review/30bell.html]link[/i]

Fortunately I bought the new one at the same time.

(Hope this makes up for "Museum Pieces." I can't help the fact that nothing happens in the book; it's part of what I love about it.)

We usually come closer to agreement on books; however, I have appreciated your last two responses. Why?

1) You're right about the trust issue in The Help. It didn't jump out at me when I read the book, but once you pointed it out, I can't let go of it. Good catch.

2) In spite of my review I'll really glad I read Museum Pieces. A complaint I've received from editors and agents about my novels is that I'm not desciptive enough. I watched carefull what Tallent did with description and, while it was too much for my taste, I think I picked up a few pointers. I'm doing a short story now and emphasizing description in my first revision.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!
veteran
veteran
Oh - gosh!

The only things that I can really recall well about the books are, indeed, descriptions - the first being the opening scene (I believe) of the two girls in Oldtown, with the snowballs and frito pies; the second is the girl in the kitchen, looking at wishbones and burying olive pits. Those scenes are like paintings, to me. I remember wishing, when I first read it, that you could somehow frame scenes from a book, display them on walls.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have, suddenly, somehow, recovered my love of reading. For several years I've continued to read but without the ability to sink into a book for hours/days. I realized when I took some time off work that I really miss "diving in" - so I'm making it a priority these days, and it's coming back to me.

So keep those recommendations coming!

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
The only things that I can really recall well about the books are, indeed, descriptions

My friend Tessa loves description. We hassle too much/not enough often. The only description we both like is in Pat Conroy's earlier books.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Bonobo's Handshake by Vanessa Woods.

In case people do not know... the Bonobo is a relatively rare ape that looks very similar to a Chimpanzee... but with distinctly different social characteristics. IE Chimps are violent and male dominated, where as Bonobos are placid, like sex a lot, and are female dominated.

The author is a scientist... or at least married to a scientist... but the book that she wrote is is more of a series of personal anecdotes. This is one of those books where the author has a a whole lot of diverse experiences and takes you along for the ride to places where we could never otherwise go.

In this case, the ride is about what it is like to live in war torn Africa, what are some of the less obvious pressure driving these conflicts, along with discovering all about our near relatives Chimps an Bonobos.

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
Ardy #157184 07/31/10 10:44 PM
veteran
veteran
Ardy - there's a great talk about bonobos on ted.com. They're amazingly...able.

Martha - Conroy's book about basketball is the only book I've ever read that made me want to play a sport. He made me long for it.

I've never played a sport in my life. That's description!

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s bein’ bad
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ardy - there's a great talk about bonobos on ted.com. They're amazingly...able.
video link

Thx Mello
here is a link

"It's not a lie if you believe it." -- George Costanza
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves. --Bertrand Russel
H
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
H
Eighteen months ago a friend e-mailed me, saying she had a copy of Twilight and asking if I wanted to read it. Immediately I responded, telling her I didn't want to read it. Really, I didn't want to. The all-too-competitive side of me had no interest in supporting a YA writer that made it that big on her first try, and I reminded my friend that I in no way shared her all-consuming interest in vampires. Her response? "Sorry. It's already in the mail." With the right address because soon it arrived. Then began a series of someone noticing I had a copy, asking to borrow it, my saying, "Oh, please, just take it," and their response of, "Oh, no, you'll want to read it." Not! But a couple days ago it made it to spot one and I started it.

Actually I expected to read my fifty pages and stop, but it surprised me. I made it to page 203. Then, knowing that if Edward rescued Bella from danger one more time I'd hurl, I threw the book across the room with great force—as opposed to tossing it aside lightly. (Thank you, Dorothy Parker.)

By that time I'd also had it with Stephanie Meyer's writing style—or lack thereof. Obviously she has read several books containing basic writing tips. (I recognized them because I've read the same books.) Here are some examples of her adherence to the tips--at their most blatant, obvious and annoying:

1) One beginning tip is that writers should try to avoid the frequent use of "he/she said" in dialogue. A more sophisticated tip is the assurance that the "saids" blend into the page and become more or less invisible. I doubt Ms Meyers has advanced to the second tip because in two pages of dialogue we have the following tags: "said," "said," "said," "repeated," "asked," "asked,
"moaned," "insisted," "assured," "suggested," "insisted," "saidsmiling," "amended," "agreed," "said," "hissed," "said," "pessed." (pages 62-63) Yep, the "saids" blend right in. The others, IMHO, scream, "Look at me. I found another substitute."

2) And since we mentioned "hissed," I remember reading that when you use a tag suggesting a sound, that sound should be somewhere in what's said. Try hissing "can I talk to you for a minute." I couldn't. How 'bout you?

3) Or try purring "trust me." (page 131)

4) She has, of course, run into the tip that using the same word twice, real close together, is bad. So on page 171 we get a restaurant scene that includes the following
:"No, thank you, but some more soda would be nice." He gestured with a long white hand to the empty cups in front of me.
"Sure." She removed the empty glasses and walked away.

Cups? Glasses? No repetition there. Guess she just missed the two "emptys."

Overall? Maybe Twilight became really gripping and exquisitely written from page 205 on. But I doubt it.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 08/04/10 06:03 PM.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Well, i enjoy vampire fiction...and i have read the entire series...and mostly enjoyed it. However, I can agree that her "style" wears on you. The worst part for me was all the stupid teen behavior and over the top angst.

Page 137 of 149 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 148 149

Link Copied to Clipboard