WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 103 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 102 103
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Sticky Rice is essentially "rice pudding" it's made with Coconut milk because Thai folks don't use dairy products. It's served with mango instead of raisins. I suspect that it would work very well with a typical western rice pudding recipe.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I love rice pudding! That Thai recipe sounds really good. Greger~do you have a recipe for that?

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thai Sticky Rice

2 cups Thai sweet rice(glutinous rice)
1 can good coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
Fresh or frozen mango

In a microwave safe glass casserole. Cover rice with water and soak 10 minutes to half an hour. Drain off water until rice is barely covered, add 1/4 can of coconut milk. Cook covered in microwave on high for 10 minutes then let sit with lid on for ten more minutes.

In a saucepan warm the rest of the coconut milk, the salt and the brown sugar until brown sugar is melted.

Pour over rice, fluff with fork, serve with slices of fresh mango.

Alternately with frozen mango you can make a mango sauce with 2 cups of mango cubes, a can of coconut milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Bring this to a boil and add cornstarch mixed with water to thicken it.
Ladle this over servings of the sweetened Sticky rice

traditionally Sicky Rice is prepared in a straw hat in a spittoon. It looks like this: [Linked Image from importfood.com]
Or it can be steamed in a muslin bag or a pillowcase. But the microwave beats the hell out of the traditional methods.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Thank you, Greger!

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Greger, that looks really good. I like rice pudding, but only made it for myself once many years ago. I think it's time again. I'll try the sticky rice.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Here's an interesting option for what the po' folks could be eating...

Free food

Seems like it might be an evil Collectivist thing, though. Hmm

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
old hand
old hand
Now if someone can just show me how to grow cilantro successfully. Every year I plant it and it comes up bolting. So this year I am really really NOT going to try again. I just go to the grocery store and buy it when I need it.

Oh. Speaking of food, I've been meaning to post this:

I had an extra bag of cranberries in the fridge and wondered what to do with them. So I tossed them in a saucepan with a half or 3/4 cup of sugar, a finely cut up juice orange, and a big handful of diced pineapple. I cooked it until all the cranberries were popped open, let it cool, and tried to think of something to do with the concoction.

3.14159 + 2.7182818 = Pie

I prepared a pie crust, dotted it with Tbsp-sized globs of the concoction, and then poured around the globs a mixture of about a cup of sour cream, a cup of sugar, and 3-4 Tbsp of flour.

I didn't put a top crust on and baked the pie for 30 minutes at 375.

It was yummy. I had to use a spatula to fight off the kids until Peggy and I could have some for dessert.

You can try this with many fruits. I made one this AM that has strawberries all pointing upward out of the white filler, looks like little red mountains in the snow.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Just for what it's worth. Cranberries, like all other berries can simply be frozen. No special preparation, just toss 'em in the freezer. Unlike other berries though, the thawed cranberries are indistinguishable from fresh berries.
How do you make your crusts Churl? I do all butter but with an added 1/4 cup of freshly rendered lard.
I'd never considered a Cranberry pie, and don't really know if I'd make one. But adding a few cranberries to an apple pie might be interesting. I like my strawberry pies on a cookie crust.

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Logtroll,
I think the municipal vegetable gardens are an excellent idea. Grass and flowers as well as most other ornamental landscaping are a complete waste of good soil. City workers and planners should get busy on this. A time may come when it's important.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Greger
Logtroll,
I think the municipal vegetable gardens are an excellent idea. Grass and flowers as well as most other ornamental landscaping are a complete waste of good soil. City workers and planners should get busy on this. A time may come when it's important.
Some of us in this high desert community (6000' elev, 15" annual rainfall) have been trying to get the town to do water harvesting using clever, but simple, stormwater runoff catchment techniques. Our rains often come in buckets but at wide temporal intervals. Our meager moisture is shed from the landscape from roofs and streets (with curbs and gutters, just to make sure it all leaves as quickly and efficiently as possible causing flooding and lots of erosion somewhere downstream). Meanwhile, we pay to pump water from deep underground up the hills to water sparse gardens (and friggin' lawns, if you can believe it).

Anyway, there are many small, dusty waste ground areas (including the yards of people who weren't as stupid as the lawn people) that could be irrigated by collecting water from roofs and letting runoff escape the streets through well-designed curb cuts, diverting it into rock mulched swales for deep percolation into the soil. Such places would make dandy neighborhood vegetable patches and reduce community water costs (coming and going) to boot!

The problem is in getting evil Collectivists to comprehend any issue that is more than 1mm deep, and in getting the Capitalists to allow anything to be free. And the Individualists are all a bunch of weirdos. Crikey!

Frankly, I don't know how we survive as a species. But I like to try to make the best of it when possible.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 6 of 103 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard