WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 103 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 102 103
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Vegan ice cream? Soy or coconut base?

Coconut and almond milk, with a banana added.
I'm getting some ice crystals in it though and need to up the fat content I think, either by reduction of the liquid and/or emulsifying almond butter or coconut oil into it.

I want to make a sugar free version for myself and will probably just add some high quality butter to mine.

Ted-There is no reason to add that much butter to grits. They probably do that in the restaurant to keep it from hardening. Normally it's cooked with no butter at all then served with a pat of butter, salt, and pepper. Or with a fried egg or two...all mashed together with your fork.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Not sure if I can honestly compare grits to polenta...!
I'm Italian and hail from the East Coast and now that I am in Texas I know what grits are.
The similarity stops abruptly just after the time you finish soaking them in water!

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
J
veteran
veteran
J
Italian Grits What part of Italy is your family from? I grew up in a predominantly Italian area where most were from the south or either Sicily. I was made an honorary Italian around 4th or 5th grade. However, there were some Italians from the north- we called them Germans. Polenta wasn't as popular a menu item as pasta or pizza, but was available. The Italian food was great! The Greek, Polish, Jewish, German, Hungarian, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. wasn't too bad, either. Talk about a melting pot- and it tasted good. I really enjoyed those Italian Church festivals. The sausage and pepper sandwiches, grinders, hoagies, submarines, heroes, etc. Close to heaven as I'll get.

The only appreciable difference that I noticed between polenta and grits is that polenta is ground finer and costs more. Grits with chili is also mighty fine.

J
veteran
veteran
J

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ted Remington
Every other Sunday morning I drive to Asheville to donate platelets and plasma at the Red Cross and I started going to Waffle House for breakfast, because I loved their waffles and their grits. Then early one morning I watched as one of the cooks prepared a big batch of grits. It was perhaps a gallon in size, and he put a whole pound of butter in it!

So I stopped eating the grits as often. Then one day I was chatting with the people there and they mentioned they were out of half-and-half, and it was going to be a real problem. I asked why. Did you know that they make their regular waffles by mixing the dry waffle mixture with half-and-half?

So I switched to eating buttermilk waffles.

Then they took the buttermilk waffles off the menu.

Now when I go to Asheville I stop at Denny's where they have a senior fit omelet, egg whites, a small amount of cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach, served alongside a bowl of fruit and a bowl of oatmeal.
Ted Remington. I only stop in every now and again at RR (I used to be around regular) and I can't remember what your "first" name was before you disclosed your real name.
Doesn't matter really...
But I have to say. What? You're going to Asheville and eating at Waffle House and Dennys? Cripe, man. Why?
This is a good eating place. Try Early Girl and several other places. Stone ground grits. Locally grown stuff with no additives. Good stuff.
Chains thrive on fat and grease and whatever.
Asheville is not a place to eat at a chain. That shocks me.

I can nearly promise you that the "healthy" eating at Denny's isn't really.
But then. I'm cynical and believe in eating locally grown organic and know what's in it.
Denny's healthy? Probably not.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
old hand
old hand
Note to self. Send olyve and email off line to let her know someone has hacked her RR account and is posting in her name. Can't really be her. Although it does have that crazy, warped healthy eating "meme" about it . . .
Hmmm.

Oh, dang it! Just dumped my biscuits and gravy all over my keyboard! Dadgum bib mounted food tray they sold me at Denny's broke again!

"The white men were as thick and numerous and aimless as grasshoppers, moving always in a hurry but never seeming to get to whatever place it was they were going to." Dee Brown
J
veteran
veteran
J
olyve, if you want a good horseradish (other than grating your own), try FARMERS. It's genuinely good. They have a tamed down moderate version that is absolutely delicious. Perfect topping for a hard boiled egg. They also have the hot stuff, too, which I suspect will not only clear your nasal cavities, but also your frontal lobes. The local PIG carries it, so I suspect you can get it, too.

old hand
old hand
Olyve:

I agree wholeheartedly. But since I am retired the only time I can go to Asheville regularly for blood donations is early on Sunday mornings. NOTHING is open except the chains. Early Girl, which I like, opens at 9. Perhaps I will work to change my appt time to 11, but those slots are usually always filled by people with more "seniority" than I have. And I am currently standing at 83.5 gallons donated!

Every other day of the week I have to clean, cook, ride herd on two teenagers with ADHD, do the yard work, do the laundry, etc. Being retired is hard work!

But you did open my eyes, m'dear. As my M-I-L says, nothing beats a try like a failure. I've just been going with the flow, perhaps it's time to change the direction.

Thanks.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
veteran
veteran

Originally Posted by loganrbt
Oh, dang it! Just dumped my biscuits and gravy all over my keyboard! Dadgum bib mounted food tray they sold me at Denny's broke again!
Logan, you doddering old fool! LOL

Yes tis me! I just missed you so!!

Originally Posted by loganrbt
Can't really be her. Although it does have that crazy, warped healthy eating "meme" about it . . .
Hmmm.
nono

But he's right, Ted. I do have a bit of a health thing going. I guess I have to start calling myself a "senior" too now that I'm in my 60s. I hate it though! That word I mean. I am glad to still be here.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, Ted. I just love Asheville and as I do here at home, I also really believe in shopping and eating locally. We have a wealth of good healthy eating options where I live too.
I do see your point and it sounds like you chose the right option considering the slimness of your options early on a Sunday morning. You'd be dealing with the tourist crowds too on a weekend.
I live about 3 1/2 hours south of you in Athens, Ga, a neat place too and we come to Asheville about twice a year to concerts generally. We stay at the Downtown Inn and walk everywhere we go.

Logan, as you well know, I am underinsured (though Affordable Care Act made that better....soon to go away of course) so at my age it is important to eat healthy and stay healthy! Government doesn't like people my age!

And I am currently standing at 83.5 gallons donated!
Bow

Every other day of the week I have to clean, cook, ride herd on two teenagers with ADHD, do the yard work, do the laundry, etc. Being retired is hard work!
I'm semi retired. Yes it is!

Sorry for the off topics, mods.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It's just good to see you pass through Olyve, and you can go off topic all you want in a thread like this.

My Easter Dinner was Saturday night. Friday night at midnight I put a fresh 12 pound picnic ham in the oven at 200 degrees. It had a dry rub made up mostly of brown sugar with paprika and a variety of herbs and spices. It cooked all night long and most of the day. At 3:30 Saturday afternoon I turned oven down to 140 degrees, wrapped it in foil, and put it back in the oven until 8 that evening when it was time to "carve" it.
We started the meal with a salad from my garden, the appetizer was grilled portabello mushrooms, then seared Ahi tuna with thin slices of raw tuna. The principal course was the pulled pork with potatoes and green beans from my garden.
We finished with home made ice cream.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Page 10 of 103 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard