WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 103 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 102 103
Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
a friend suggested that olive oil (*grin*) would work well too.
After it's solid store the cubes in freezer bags.
Chopped basil and olive oil is the beginning of pesto...

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
The method I have used for a long time is to chop the basil, mix with some e. v. olive oil, and put into small freezer bags, just enough so you can press the bag and contents to about 1/2 inch thickness. Pop in freezer and break off what you need from the bag.

I've also frozen fully loaded pesto this way, but then you are limited a bit in what you can do with it. Perhaps with the basil crop I have coming in this year I will do it both ways.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by olyve
Hi Joe,
I always get too much basil too.
I chop it and freeze it in ice cube trays covered with a few drops of water.
I always use water but a friend suggested that olive oil (*grin*) would work well too.
After it's solid store the cubes in freezer bags.

I've already planted new stuff for this year but have a few cubes left in the freezer too.
Works great!
olyve, thanks. I love basil, but you really can get too much of a good thing. I going to try freezing some of it in ice cube trays, popping it out of the trays when frozen, and storing the cubes in a freezer bag in the freezer. Some other I'll chop, mix with olive oil, and store in freezer bags. And the rest, I'll just freeze the leaves whole and store in freezer bags. I read that the olive oil coating keeps the basil from getting dark, which will happen if you just freeze the leaves. I'll find out.

I also like and grow parsley. Nothing fancy. Just a few containers. I pinch off the leaves as needed. I've had some plants last 2 years and more. Fresh parsley when needed.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Greger
I make Pesto with it, Joe. I just refrigerate it but there's no reason not to freeze the Pesto. What variety do you grow?
I grow Genovese basil. I used to grow up to three varieties at the same time, but I keep coming back to sweet basil, although I'm willing to try a variety that you recommend.

I like pesto, too. I've never frozen it before, but I'll give it a try. I recently took about two cups of basil leaves, chopped it, and added it to my fresh tomato (6 lbs. Roma, 1 28 oz. can crushed, and about 8 oz. left over tomato puree)clam sauce. It really smoothed out the sauce, which was delicious even though I use the canned clams.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Ted Remington
The method I have used for a long time is to chop the basil, mix with some e. v. olive oil, and put into small freezer bags, just enough so you can press the bag and contents to about 1/2 inch thickness. Pop in freezer and break off what you need from the bag.

I've also frozen fully loaded pesto this way, but then you are limited a bit in what you can do with it. Perhaps with the basil crop I have coming in this year I will do it both ways.
Thanks. You use the one pint size bags? Does that basil break off easily?

Greger Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I've always grown sweet basil. I have 2 dozen smallish plants right now. I've seen some "Pesto Basil" in the stores. I'm really fond of Thai Basil but haven't got my hands on any seeds yet but I'll probably stick with Sweet Basil since it does everything I want it to do.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
Originally Posted by Ted Remington

Thanks. You use the one pint size bags? Does that basil break off easily?

It breaks off very easily if the stuff in the bag is flattened out. In fact, olive oil doesn't really freeze solid, at least not in my freezer.

Take the nacilbupeR pledge: I solemnly swear that I will help back out all Republicans at the next election.
veteran
veteran
I like that idea a lot, Ted.
I do my roasted red peppers like that...flatten it and break it off as needed (not in oil though).
I'll probably do basil both ways this year.
Thanks!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Olive oil will harden at refrigerator temperatures - around 37-39°F. Determining at what point to call the oil "frozen" is a matter of semantics. The slow increase in hardening as the temperature is lowered is in sharp contrast to a pure substance such as water that switches from a liquid to solid phase at an exact temperature. Olive oil is a complex mixture of oils and waxes. The heavier oils and waxes will form needle-like crystals as the temperature is lowered, then the other oils will start to settle out.

At 40°F most of the oils would not harden or form any crystals. At 35°F most are firm enough that they cannot be poured but are as soft as butter at room temperature. As the temperature is lowered, more components of the oil solidify. At 10°F the oil is hard enough that a fork cannot penetrate it.

Source: Olive Oil Source.com
I buy EVOO in gallon containers and keep only a pint in the pantry. The rest is stored in the refrigerator.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand
The best way to keep olive oil fresh is to get one of those mylar-looking bladders that wine-in-a-box is kept in. Pop off the valve, wash the bladder really well, then put in hot water and some bicarb. Let it sit for an hour, rinse, and fill with olive oil. Squeeze out as much air as possible and put the valve back on. Put the bladder in the box, label it clearly as olive oil and store in refrigerator.

Why? Because the enemy of oil is oxygen. This way, when you open the tap and let out olive oil you are not allowing oxygen into the bag. There's actually a brand of olive oil that ships this way. Red Island or something. I am too lazy to walk into the kitchen to find out, but I have one in the pantry.

Page 15 of 103 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard