WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 33 of 60 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 59 60
J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Police Cameras Ouside Your Door[/b]
The ACLU of Michigan recently put out an interesting report on surveillance cameras. Like other ACLU reports on cameras (such as those by our affiliates in Illinois and Northern California, and the materials on our national site) it summarizes the policy arguments against cameras. But it also focuses on a uniquely disturbing application of surveillance cameras: their deployment in residential neighborhoods.
[b]How about in your backyard?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good to see you back, Joe, we've missed you.

There are surveillance cameras all over my neighborhood. Camouflaged and strapped to trees. Most are trained on wildlife feeders but a few are located to keep us informed of the comings and goings in the neighborhood.
Big Brother is being watched too.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
Police Cameras Ouside Your Door[/b]
The ACLU of Michigan recently put out an interesting report on surveillance cameras. Like other ACLU reports on cameras (such as those by our affiliates in Illinois and Northern California, and the materials on our national site) it summarizes the policy arguments against cameras. But it also focuses on a uniquely disturbing application of surveillance cameras: their deployment in residential neighborhoods.
[b]How about in your backyard?

New York has them on practically every street corner. Big Brother has been watching for a long time. That's not to mention the FBI and the NSA monitoring email, phone calls, text, twitter...
I always wondered if there was any real legal fight that could be won against this type of surveillance.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
The Supreme Court has ended a 6-year-old class-action lawsuit against the nation's telecommunications carriers for secretly helping the National Security Agency monitor phone calls and emails coming into and out of this country.

The suit was dealt a death blow in 2008 when Congress granted retroactive immunity to people or companies aiding U.S. intelligence agents.

Without comment, the justices turned down appeals from civil liberties advocates who contended this mass surveillance was unconstitutional and illegal.
Los Angeles Times

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
veteran
veteran
I think the SC has been complicit with the government in their effort to maintain opacity from public scrutiny.

ignorance is the enemy
without equality there is no liberty
Save America - Lock Trump Up!!!!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
The Supreme Court has ended a 6-year-old class-action lawsuit against the nation's telecommunications carriers for secretly helping the National Security Agency monitor phone calls and emails coming into and out of this country.

The suit was dealt a death blow in 2008 when Congress granted retroactive immunity to people or companies aiding U.S. intelligence agents.

Without comment, the justices turned down appeals from civil liberties advocates who contended this mass surveillance was unconstitutional and illegal.
Los Angeles Times

It figures!! rolleyes

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
New York has them on practically every street corner. Big Brother has been watching for a long time. That's not to mention the FBI and the NSA monitoring email, phone calls, text, twitter...
I always wondered if there was any real legal fight that could be won against this type of surveillance.
I remember reading about how the authorities concealed some video surveillance cameras on the light posts and elsewhere in Miami a number of years ago and the people rioted and destroyed the ones that they could find, which ended that experiment then. If Big Brother, or even his little brother in the local police force, wants to monitor any aspect of your life, they will. The so-called "war of drugs" was the initial excuse. Many years ago I wrote that the recently introduced "Patriot Act" just legalized what the government had been doing all along. In theory, there are legal remedies. In theory.

J
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins

Los Angeles Times
Is this the same court that made a corporation a person? How about some court ruling that banks and other financial institutions can use depositors' accounts as collateral? Hey, didn't the "Honorable" Jon Corzine at IMF dip into some segregated depositor's accounts and "liberate" their money for his own gamblinginvesting? He misplaced over a billion in private depositor accounts and can't find it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
I remember reading about how the authorities concealed some video surveillance cameras on the light posts and elsewhere in Miami a number of years ago and the people rioted and destroyed the ones that they could find, which ended that experiment then. If Big Brother, or even his little brother in the local police force, wants to monitor any aspect of your life, they will. The so-called "war of drugs" was the initial excuse. Many years ago I wrote that the recently introduced "Patriot Act" just legalized what the government had been doing all along. In theory, there are legal remedies. In theory.

The powers that be will always find a justification for spying on their own citizens. And if they can do it out in the open so much the better, it reduces the risk of legal challenge.
The sooner people realize that we are already living in a police state, the easier it will be to create a truly popular reaction against this.
Obviously, that's a lot easier said than done. wink

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 33 of 60 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 59 60

Link Copied to Clipboard