WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 57 of 103 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 102 103
J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Greger
That sounds like a great casserole, Joe, and legumes are a good thing and should be consumed as often as possible.
I almost never make mac and cheese. Mostly 'cause I don't eat pasta much. I don't hate it or anything, it's just a white starch I can get along without mostly. I actually love mac and cheese as a side dish but it's kind of a lot of trouble to make.
I don't eat mac and cheese often, but I like it once in awhile. Boiling water is a lot of trouble if you think that boiling water is a lot of trouble. I find mac and cheese easy to prepare and bake in about an hour or so, and it makes a light lunch or dinner (moderate servings). I eat pasta about once or twice a week. I love it. I suppose if you're diabetic that you should forgo it, but I've seen diabetics enjoy it without any problems. Remember a few years ago (or was it decades?)that eggs suddenly were bad and would kill you? Suddenly all the hypochondriacs either stopped eating eggs all together or just egg whites. Really. People have been eating eggs for thousands of years, and all of a sudden they became a problem. Maybe eating a dozen or two per day with a pound of bacon will present some health challenges, but I doubt that an egg or two once in awhile present any risk for a normal healthy person. Hey, and remember when butter was also ostracized as hazardous to your health and you should have immediately switched to margarine? I never did, nor did anyone in my family. Now they're saying that margarine is bad for you, and you should use butter. Go figure. At any rate, pasta is one white starch that I enjoy.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by california rick
Manufacturers make whole-grain pastas now. smile
There are some tasty dishes that call for whole-grain pasta, but I prefer the white starch variety. The issue reminds me of the green tea vs. black tea. I'll drink green tea, but, if I want to enjoy a cup of tea, I have a cup of black tea- preferably Earl Grey.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Scoutgal
I am not a fan of mac and cheese, but if I had to, I'd pick Giada's version.
I love mac & cheese - by Stouffers. I'll try this recipe. Giada is da cookin' bomb!! ThumbsUp

(I'm partial to Ina Garten's recipes, however.)

I like The barefoot Contessa's recipes as well. But Giada's are a bit more on the healthy side. Plus I love to hear her say things in Italian!

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Joe Keegan
There are some tasty dishes that call for whole-grain pasta, but I prefer the white starch variety. The issue reminds me of the green tea vs. black tea. I'll drink green tea, but, if I want to enjoy a cup of tea, I have a cup of black tea- preferably Earl Grey.

I do not like the taste of whole grain pasta. I like almost any kind of tea, hot or iced. I was the only kid in the family that didn't like mac and cheese. I also wouldn't eat tuna fish as a kid. Funny, but I like tuna salad now-a lot-with diced celery onion and dill pickles.

veteran
veteran
'
Remember a few years ago (or was it decades?)that eggs suddenly were bad and would kill you? Suddenly all the hypochondriacs either stopped eating eggs all together or just egg whites. Really. People have been eating eggs for thousands of years, and all of a sudden they became a problem. Maybe eating a dozen or two per day with a pound of bacon will present some health challenges, but I doubt that an egg or two once in awhile present any risk for a normal healthy person. Hey, and remember when butter was also ostracized as hazardous to your health and you should have immediately switched to margarine? I never did, nor did anyone in my family. Now they're saying that margarine is bad for you, and you should use butter. Go figure. At any rate, pasta is one white starch that I enjoy.
I tend to avoid sugars and other carbohydrates, along with some fats, as garbage calories -- but I don't make a religion of it.
In my moderately long lifetime, I have seen all too many food fads come and go, and all too many "authoritative" pronoucements by the "experts" disproven or rendered questionable.
My normal state of scepticism applies to almost all food dogmas, as it does to all the rest of life.

My strong suspicion is that heredity and personal physiology and conditions of exercise are what makes food good or bad for you.

"One man's meat is another man's poison."

However, in most cases, I think being abstemious is good for most people, most of the time.
After all,

"You dig your grave with your teeth." · · grin

Last edited by numan; 11/29/12 12:11 AM.
old hand
old hand
I abstain from food. It's boring... cool

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

L
veteran
veteran
L
My grave will be thirty feet deep.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
K
old hand
old hand
K
Indeed. Today it seems that around 82.3% of the Eugene residents have decided they are allergic to gluten. The allergy du jour in our neck.

If one is predisposed to that precondition one can find “gluten free” anything here. Which reminds me of a clip I recently saw from the satire program “Portlandia” in which a “Allergy Pride Parade” LOL was slated for the day.

Then I envision some starving children somewhere refusing to eat a piece of freshly baked crusty bread because it happened to contain wheat.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Funny, because bread is the one thing that almost all cultures have.

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Scoutgal

I do not like the taste of whole grain pasta. I like almost any kind of tea, hot or iced. I was the only kid in the family that didn't like mac and cheese. I also wouldn't eat tuna fish as a kid. Funny, but I like tuna salad now-a lot-with diced celery onion and dill pickles.
Your tastes change as you get older.

Page 57 of 103 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard