WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 93 of 103 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 102 103
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by Slipped Mickey
Originally Posted by Schlack
Damnit, still waiting for weather decent enough to smoke up some pork belly!
Fly your ass on out, homey. I'll put you up and feed you here in the desert. It's going to be a typical spring day here in the desert. Clear sky, 88 degrees, no humidity and light to moderate gun fire.
So much for the desert... what's for dessert? (If I left now, I could probably make it for dinner!)

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Scoutgal
Rick, pick me up on your way south, before making that left turn to Mick's house! ThumbsUp

You and Rick, hat up and head out. Dinner will be ready at around 6.30 PM.
Originally Posted by california rick
Awesome, leaving now. Scout be ready in 6.0 hours.

Got my travelin' shoes on! laugh

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
baby back ribs

[quote]Really? I thought North Carolina BBQ was all about whole hog, with all the parts chopped up and mixed together. Never had it myself, but I'd like to try it sometime. I understand it is more moist with higher fat content than pulled pork shoulder because it doesn't get cooked as much.

You are correct on all counts. There nothing like cooking a pig in the ground over coals. It is quite a bit of work taking all night and then some and you'll need friend to help you tend the coals and shoveling them into the pit and you'll need help turning the pig over. When it's done you are ready to have a pig pickin' where you get your own meat right of the hog.

The trick is to get some of what is known in NC pig circles as "Mr. Brown", which is outside smoked meat that has turned brown and mix it with lighter inside meat. A lot of people like it chopped. If I'm ordering it at world class pig joints say like Parker's in Wilson, NC I'll order "outside chopped". Most of the time for BBQ sandwiches you are going to get pork shoulder. That's best for sandwiches. It's also standard that you get Carolina cole slaw (usually minced) on top of the meat and then the bun.

If you even attempt to put mustard or ketchup on your BBQ sandwich, the entire restaurant will immediately take you outside and whip your butt. Probably whip your grandmama's butt too if they can find her. So don't do it. wink

There is a higher fat content. And all kidding aside, the truth behind vinegar based sauce is that eastern NC, Tidewater Virginians and Low Country South Carolinians prefer sauce that enhances the flavor of the slow cooked smoked pork. Vinegar sauce enhances the meat all other sauces hide the flavor of the meat.

I prefer Saint Louis cut racks over baby backs, when I smoke up some ribs. I like something I can chew on a little bit, and the baby backs tend to just fall right off the bones and dissolve.

Ms. Slipped and I were discussing that very thing last night. She prefers St. Louis cut and she likes sweet glop sauces. Needless to say she didn't grow up down home. However, she will tell you that her favorite BBQ sandwich is from Olde Tyme BBQ in Cary, NC, and oddly enough it's a chopped sandwich with vinegar sauce (no sugar in it) with cole slaw on the top. Go figure.

You, you and you, panic. The rest of you follow me.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by logtroll
Fly your ass on out, homey. I'll put you up and feed you here in the desert. It's going to be a typical spring day here in the desert. Clear sky, 88 degrees, no humidity and light to moderate gun fire.
So much for the desert... what's for dessert? (If I left now, I could probably make it for dinner!)

Get on over here. Dessert in the desert will be home made Banana Puddin' which is different from Banana Pudding because I leave the "g" out.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by logtroll

Get on over here. Dessert in the desert will be home made Banana Puddin' which is different from Banana Pudding because I leave the "g" out.

If it's anything like my mom's banana puddin', I will be in Hog Heaven(pun intended)!it was always my job to slice the bananas while my mom made the pudding. It is my grandma's(and her mom's recipe.

I favor the pulled pork sandwich I had at Pig restaurant on Beale Street in Memphis, Tennessee. They also had real fried pies, which my grandma used to make for us kids.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Fried pies and Memphis BBQ. Oh, lawd! You can't go wrong.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Fried pies and Memphis BBQ. Oh, lawd! You can't go wrong.

Nope, and I still make those fried pies! grin

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ever try making barbequed pork fried pies? I have had those at a Dim Sum place. Of course, it was Chinese-style barbeque.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
she likes sweet glop sauces

I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's brand of sweet glop sauce, but really just to brush on lightly to carmelize on the outsides over the coals at the end of the smoking. I'm always looking for ribs that are a bit crunchy on the outside, and tender and juicy inside. It's a fine line, because a little bit too much heat toasting the outside and you get some very tough and dry areas. I guess I would be asking for some Mr. Brown in my order, too, if I ever get down that way.

I don't need a sauce to add heat, because I make my own dry rub using New Mexico or pasilla ground chili powder instead of paprika. Not very hot, but enough to feel it when you bite into a rib. And it adds more flavor than using paprika plus cayenne.

mustard or ketchup on your BBQ sandwich

OMG, what the hell is wrong with some people? Ketchup is for your french fries, and mustard is for sausages.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
she likes sweet glop sauces

I like to use Sweet Baby Ray's brand of sweet glop sauce, but really just to brush on lightly to carmelize on the outsides over the coals at the end of the smoking. I'm always looking for ribs that are a bit crunchy on the outside, and tender and juicy inside. It's a fine line, because a little bit too much heat toasting the outside and you get some very tough and dry areas. I guess I would be asking for some Mr. Brown in my order, too, if I ever get down that way.

I don't need a sauce to add heat, because I make my own dry rub using New Mexico or pasilla ground chili powder instead of paprika. Not very hot, but enough to feel it when you bite into a rib. And it adds more flavor than using paprika plus cayenne.

mustard or ketchup on your BBQ sandwich

OMG, what the hell is wrong with some people? Ketchup is for your french fries, and mustard is for sausages.

I'll tell my wife about Sweet Baby Ray's, thanks.

The ribs turned out great. It took a bit longer this time on the smoker because of the constant wind we are having. It sucks the heat out of the smoker. No problem, I enjoy messing with it.

Yesterday I decided to baste the ribs with mustard and then sprinkle on Dave's Dry Rub. Next I let it sit for about 1 1/2 hours at room temperature before I put it in the smoker on a rib rack. I sprayed the ribs with apple juice after 3 hours. At 4 1/2 hours, I basted them with Scott's sauce (on mine) and Carolina Treet (for my wife). I took the ribs out after 5 hours.

Mighty fine. Both of us were happy with the results. Painting them with mustard, to hold the dry rub, seems to have held in some of the juices, as did the apple spray. They were moist.

IMHO, if you want the eastern NC taste I recommend Scott's BBQ Sauce without reluctance. Carolina Treet gives you the eastern NC taste, but it has a little sugar and little bit of something else in there, for people who like their BBQ with sweetener added - which is probably 99.9% of the known world. Vinegar based sauce without sugar of some kind in it is unique and not to everyone's liking.

Scott's BBQ Sauce

Carolina Treet

Page 93 of 103 1 2 91 92 93 94 95 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard