WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 99 of 103 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 102 103
J
veteran
veteran
J

Beef pastrami also works. I prefer Russian dressing.
Russian Dressing:
Combine the following ingredients. Makes one-half cup.
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
(optional) Serve with a good dill pickle- Claussen if you don't have homemade- and a cold beer.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Made a great Beef Stew the other night: Bought a 2.5 pound top round "London Broil" on sale for $2.99/lb. (As opposed to "Stew Meat" for $6/pound.) Cut it up into cubes and browned them for a few minutes. Then tossed meat and juices, large pieces of potato, celery, carrots, onion, and enough boiling hot water to cover into the crock pot. Added enough Beef Base to convert the water to beef broth, then added four small Bay leaves and some salt and pepper. Dissolved a couple heaping tablespoons of rice flour into the broth as thickener, since my wife is avoiding gluten. Cooked on high overnight, then let it coast on low for a couple of days as we ate it.

A nice slice of buttered sourdough on the side to soak up the leftover gravy. Splash of red wine mixed into your bowl, optional. Yum!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Cooked on high overnight, then let it coast on low for a couple of days as we ate it.

Some reccomended additions:

Guinness
Leeks (sweat them off with the onions)
Tomato puree (not too much)

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

J
veteran
veteran
J
The tomato pastes adds (I use 1-2 tbs)to the flavor. Also, Worcestershire sauce (season to taste, but begin with at least 1 tbs).

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I dunno guys, the taste was pretty intense as it was. (I probably used too much beef base.) I'm not sure anybody could have tasted the delicate difference between leeks and onions or a little bit of tomato. I also am constrained by my wife's bad processing of gluten, so I can't add anything made from wheat.

I browned the beef, but I just tossed in the onion chunks raw. Does it really make a difference (not sweating the onions and possibly leeks) when you are simmering the stew for an entire day?

J
veteran
veteran
J
You can never go wrong with a basic beef stew. I basically make my crock pot beef stew the same way that you do, although I don't brown the beef and use flour to thicken the stew. I just chop the onions and throw them in with the other ingredients. Worcestershire sauce will kick up the flavor. I began adding tomato paste a few years ago. I squeeze about 2-4 tbs from the tube. Some people add a 6oz can of tomato paste, which is a little too much for me. The tomato paste not only darkens the stew a little, but does add flavor and enhances the beef taste without overwhelming it. You'll notice the difference just as you'd notice the addition of bay leaves to the stew.

A vegan technique to thicken soups and stews is to use a potato. You can either add an extra potato or two or just remove (or leave in crock pot)and mash potato when soft and return to pot. It does thicken the stew.

Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
I just made beef stew last week. I replace one cup of liquid with a good red wine. I also add Worcestershire sauce. I use the usual carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and tomatoes. But I have also used mushrooms, parsnips and peas in addition. The addition of leeks is something I would like to try. I cube the meat, and dredge it in flour before browning, too. This helps to thicken the stew as it cooks. I season with kosher salt, garlic, paprika, parsley, pepper, and a few bay leafs. I also use beef broth instead of water. This all goes in my crock pot and I cook it on high for 6 hours and then on low for another 3-4 hours. I too, serve it with sourdough, or Hawaiian King rolls.

I have made a vegetarian style stew, using lots of root veggies that I roasted before putting them in a vegetable broth That turned out to be a hit with my vegetarian/vegan friends.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I browned the beef, but I just tossed in the onion chunks raw. Does it really make a difference (not sweating the onions and possibly leeks) when you are simmering the stew for an entire day?

sweating the onions adds some sweetness and complexity to their flavour, as scout says the puree also adds colour as well as another subtle note. A good stew is like a melody!

And I forgot the mustard powder (colmans english)!

"The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
(Philip K.Dick)

J
veteran
veteran
J
Originally Posted by Scoutgal
I just made beef stew last week. I replace one cup of liquid with a good red wine. I also add Worcestershire sauce. I use the usual carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and tomatoes. But I have also used mushrooms, parsnips and peas in addition. The addition of leeks is something I would like to try. I cube the meat, and dredge it in flour before browning, too. This helps to thicken the stew as it cooks. I season with kosher salt, garlic, paprika, parsley, pepper, and a few bay leafs. I also use beef broth instead of water. This all goes in my crock pot and I cook it on high for 6 hours and then on low for another 3-4 hours. I too, serve it with sourdough, or Hawaiian King rolls.
Sounds good. I use beef broth, too. I've already started my leek seedlings, so with a little luck, I'll be adding leeks to the stew around June for the first time. However, I will continue to add onions.

L
veteran
veteran
L
What do you call destitute Turks in Ukraine who have smoked too much weed?

Baked po' Tatars.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 99 of 103 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 102 103

Link Copied to Clipboard