WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Watching the Supreme Court
by jgw - 04/26/24 04:59 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by Jeffery J. Haas - 04/26/24 03:02 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by jgw - 04/24/24 04:33 PM
2024 Election Forum
by perotista - 04/24/24 02:19 PM
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by Kaine - 04/22/24 01:03 PM
Netanyahu Says Never to a State for Palestinians
by chunkstyle - 04/22/24 12:32 PM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 04/18/24 05:56 PM
Abortion
by pdx rick - 04/14/24 03:23 PM
Did Trump abuse his daughter when she was underage?
by pdx rick - 04/12/24 09:05 PM
Why Trump smells so bad
by pdx rick - 04/10/24 07:42 PM
The 14th Amendment and Donald Trump
by jgw - 04/09/24 05:41 PM
Trump and Satan. One and the same?
by pdx rick - 04/06/24 03:52 PM
Billionaires returning to Trump's cult
by jgw - 04/04/24 07:06 PM
Myths of Easter and other religious holidays
by pdx rick - 04/02/24 08:11 PM
Trump thinks he is the only god America needs
by Doug Thompson - 03/31/24 08:44 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,001,761 my own book page
5,012,177 We shall overcome
4,192,463 Campaign 2016
3,791,774 Trump's Trumpet
3,015,071 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,271
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,083
Posts313,681
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 150 1 2 3 149 150
#280273 08/15/15 10:52 AM
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The Trump Trumpet
To read today's pre pre pre election coverage one would think that the buffon in chief, aka Donald Trump,
is doing something new. He is not. The Ross Perot snatch and grab and rant and run of the early 90s is the
playbook by which the Donald is creating his strategy.
Outbursts of idiocy and the phony "plain speak" that have punctuated his public appearances appeal to the
"less inclined to think" of Republican voters. And it is, after all, basic physics: the majority of people will take the path
of least resistance. Pondering the consequences of one's pronouncements is not that path. Hence, the images
conjured up by Trump's spewing forth of absurdities is what attracts those whose only reasoning constitutes the
easy to understand scapegoating of every other group except one's own.
Hitler did it with great success, at least initially. (Not comparing Trump to Hitler, just the modus operandi.)
What thinking people usually fail to grasp is that elections, and all other forms of mass persuasion, are NEVER
based on reason, i.e. rational thought. They are fueled by images that are easy for the simpler minds among us
to understand. Rehtoric is key inasmuch as it creates the oversimplified explanation for the complex problems that the
world generally faces.
This strategy, however, rarely stands the test of time. In today's world of global information virtually available
to most people, this is even less so. When information could be hidden or hard to come by, one could continue the charade
for extended periods of time. But nowadays, that will not work.
As a result, it is just a matter of when Trump's reckoning will come. And when it does, the same people who wonder
at how he sounded so true, will be asking themselves, how they were fooled by such clown - after all he did have the
bulbous nose and the wig and the painted face.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #280274 08/15/15 03:06 PM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
The only disagreement I might voice to this is that I believe Perot was much more genuine.
I believe he was intimidated into withdrawing.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
The only disagreement I might voice to this is that I believe Perot was much more genuine.

And I think that Ross Perot was a bit smarter.

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Scoutgal

I said he took the strategy from the playbook. I was not comparing the two as I don't think that as people they are comparable.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 08/15/15 09:39 PM.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #280302 08/15/15 11:49 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Originally Posted by Scoutgal

I said he took the strategy from the playbook. I was not comparing the two as I don't think that as people they are comparable.

You are right. Because even a blind squirrel can pick up a nugget every once in a while. wink

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.

Ezekiel #280305 08/16/15 08:58 PM
J
jgw Offline
old hand
old hand
J
I find the remarks on Trump interesting. First, he is in, almost exactly, the same place Hitler was when he started (a loon with a very small group of supporters). The difference is that he is rich, which, in the United States, makes him admired, far and wide, by most of the population and particularly the Fox news folk. On top of that, everytime everybody thinks his mouth has gotten him into trouble his numbers don't go down, they go up.

I have been preaching, for years, that the continued lack of faith, in our government, and our elected, can bode no good and now we have Trump. We may be so far gone that all we want is the guy on the white horse who will save us inspite of ourselves. This could actually be Trump. He is pushing all the right buttons and he is doing it well. He has also, obviously, been toning it down a bit and working his mouth for all its worth. Sometimes it almost seems like he is actually spouting details then, again, maybe not. Anyway, given the continued and unabated dismissal of him which, I think, he depends on, he is going to continue. Also remember, he has also said that he is willing to spend 1 billion dollars to win - all on himself. Even the Koch boys are spreading theirs around. There is also some evidence he is starting to hire people and setup a real political organization.

Then there is the Perot thing. I remember that one. His main problem, and mistake, is that he ran as a 3rd party candidate. The system is heavily rigged against that one. Now, since the virtual collapse of our 2 party system anybody can run as a candidate for either party and there is little or nothing the party can actually do about it. I have also noticed some of the talking heads of the right starting to speak much less negatively of this guy.

Just think what happens when President Trump takes over - if you are into personal nightmares that's one that should set everybody quaking. When a country gets a guy on a white horse to save them its never a good or happy time (after the first blush) and people start dying. I know, its not gonna happen, he is just full of bluster and little else, he could never get elected.

Think on it a bit. The very act of dismissing him tends to display a lot more faith, in the American electorate, that, I think, is reasonable. Then there are our existing elected. The Republicans, for instance, in congress, has appointed a guy to be in charge of science, a doctor, who does not believe in science! He even says so! God is in charge and there is no global warming, for instance. Some are even nuttier than this guy! So, when you dismiss I would suggest you really think, long and hard, exactly what can happen. This casual dismissal of Trump is, I think, a very dangerous stance to take.

Just a thought..................

Ezekiel #280311 08/17/15 04:25 PM
old hand
old hand
Not a big Trump fan, but he has an advantage that none of the other candidates have; He can say what he wants to say. From a purely entertaining standpoint, a Trump/Hillary election would be a hoot, a Trump/Sanders would be even more entertaining.

He stays on topic, shows little respect for the current state of open discourse and takes very popular stands. He could win if all fell into place. I have to admit, a Trump administration has a certain charm, a certain ring to it. If just to make the Libs heads blow up!

A proud member of the Vast Right-wing Conspiracy, Massachusetts Chapter

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson
Ezekiel Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Ma_Republican
I have to admit, a Trump administration has a certain charm, a certain ring to it. If just to make the Libs heads blow up!

Any Democratic candidate that runs against Trump in general election, even a corpse, would beat him. He'd probably wind up doing more to help than to hurt them. So in that sense, I quite agree with you. wink

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

L
veteran
veteran
L
I wouldn't characterize what Trump does as "staying on topic". He stays on his talking points. though, and ignores everything else. Perfect quality in a dictator.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Ezekiel #280314 08/18/15 12:07 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
his public appearances appeal to the
"less inclined to think" of Republican voters

Let's call it like it is: These are the moron vote, and are actually an important part of the many coalitions that make up the Republican Party. If bad-loser Trump goes Independent he takes away the moron vote and the Republicans have a losing minority. Very badly losing!

Page 1 of 150 1 2 3 149 150

Link Copied to Clipboard