WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 32 of 193 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 192 193
logtroll #283358 12/03/15 06:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by logtroll
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
... How do we get them to care?
Hard times...

And to that end: we implement the full monty of the Republican line:

1) Austerity measures that make it impossible (more than it already is) for anyone to save money.

2) Do away with Social Security, unemployment, welfare, Affordable care, medicare and medicaid, all of the so-called "entitlements".

3) Don't allow ANYONE to immigrate to this country. If you weren't born here and don't already live here get the hell out.

4) Don't allow women to make as much as men for the same work, don't allow them any form of healthcare and/or contraception.
No choice or control over their own bodies.
And while we're at it: just ban them from work altogether, that way they can be where they belong- barefoot in the kitchen.

5) Start a war with Iran and Russia (and maybe China too, that way we don't have to honor the trillions that they hold in US treasuries).

5) Everyone will have free reign to carry a weapon - even an assault weapon. Hell, even anti-aircraft weapons.

6) Do not allow minorities to vote. I would say reinstate slavery, but that will follow naturally from all of the above.

7) Do absolutely nothing about CO2 emissions, climate change etc.

Result:
This country will become the biggest shytehole on the planet. Then they'll learn (or die) whichever comes first.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #283359 12/03/15 07:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm not for the dystopian approach, especially as I am entering retirement. I think the needed to be a less radical approach. I have previously recommended a full-bore PR campaign just extolling the virtues of democratic leadership. Dems are actually better on the economy and defense than Republicans ever have been. Quick, name the last successful GOP war President. Stumped? I thought so.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #283361 12/03/15 07:33 PM
old hand
old hand
Would that your approach could work. Somehow it seems that people only learn after they get burned. No use telling them that fire will burn.
But on the dystopian front: Hollywood makes bundles selling that horse dung. You never know...

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
HE KILLED 3 PEOPLE.

The stupidest thing is that Deer actually killed three people that had nothing to do with Planned Parenthood: One was a police officer and two were simply accompanying patients. Do you think maybe somebody should tell him he killed three innocent bystanders?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
No, we have to blame it on an electorate that isn't able to discern reality from fantasy. Some of that is engineered, but mostly it is the result of an electorate that doesn't really care. How do we get them to care?

This has a lot to do with "fact free news". It used to be that if Walter Cronkite said it on the news, it was probably mostly true. Now people go on TV and pretend to be news and present any opinion as essentially equal, even about things that are not subject to opinion. So you see a story with one moron saying "the earth is flat" and one scientist saying "the earth is roughly spherical". A certain percentage of people (about the same percentage as Trump supporters) will decide to believe the flat-earth guy.

Maybe we need a big red band saying FALSE at the bottom of the TV whenever the story is BS and a big green band saying TRUE when it is objectively true. Then the morons could just follow the color coding, and only illiterate color-blind Americans would go in for mass shootings.

Scoutgal #283371 12/03/15 11:40 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
William Falk, the editor of The Week Magazine, had the following to say regarding the state of our union and the upcoming election.

Here’s a strange thought to chew on a year before the presidential election: The votes of 95 percent of Americans likely to cast ballots are already determined. People who lean conservative will vote for any Republican who emerges from the scrum (with the possible exception of the divisive Donald Trump). Ditto for people who lean liberal. New research by Michigan State political scientist Corwin Smidt confirms that the percentage of voters who are truly “independent,” swinging from party to party, has plunged from 15 percent in the 1960s to just 5 percent today. Crossing over party lines to vote for the other tribe’s presidential candidate has become unimaginable. As Jonathan Chait put it this week in NYMag.com: “The dominant fact of American politics is that nobody is changing their mind about anything.”

It wasn’t always this way. For much of the latter half of the 20th century, there were liberal-leaning Republicans and conservative-leaning Democrats. It was not impossible to find common ground. Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton both actively sought the votes of people who traditionally vote for the other party, and enjoyed great popularity partly as a result. But since 2004, polarization on immigration, climate change, abortion, religion, and social issues has become so acute that every presidential election seems to represent a major turning point, with the very definition of our nation at stake. Polls suggest that the gulf between the two parties is actually widening. Republicans loathe Hillary Clinton as much as they do Barack Obama; Democrats see Trump and Ben Carson as wackos and frauds, and have only slightly less contempt for the rest of the field. So here’s a safe if depressing prediction: The new president John Roberts swears in on Jan. 20, 2017, will be very quickly despised and distrusted by roughly 45 percent of the nation. Is this a democracy, or a dysfunctional family?
William Falk, Editor-in-chief

Not much I can add to that. I feel dispair.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Scoutgal #283389 12/04/15 10:27 AM
old hand
old hand
Is this a democracy, or a dysfunctional family?

Is there a difference?

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #283394 12/04/15 05:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
To avoid despair, I go back to my last suggestion: an all-out DEM PR campaign. It's not as if they don't have the bona fides to support it. Social Security, Medicare, ACA, clean water, clean air, consumer protection, etc. - all Dem accomplishments. Balanced budgets, keeping America safe - actually Dems too.

I won't give into despair. I believe a GOP meltdown is more likely than a Democalypse.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #283680 12/11/15 03:55 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

Don't you love the smell of Republican Civil War in the morning?

More than 20 of them convened Monday for a dinner held by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, where the prospect of Trump nearing next year’s nominating convention in Cleveland with a significant number of delegates dominated the discussion, according to five people familiar with the meeting.

- WaPo

Contrarian, extraordinaire

pdx rick #283681 12/11/15 04:09 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Don't you love the smell of Republican Civil War in the morning?

More than 20 of them convened Monday for a dinner held by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, where the prospect of Trump nearing next year’s nominating convention in Cleveland with a significant number of delegates dominated the discussion, according to five people familiar with the meeting.

- WaPo

The fact that they are ALREADY talking about a brokered convention means that The Donald is going to be ousted one way or another.
If he runs on an independent ticket, so much the better. He'll take away votes from whomever the nominee is.
It's a lose-lose for the Repubs. ThumbsUp

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 32 of 193 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard