WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 61 of 193 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 192 193
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
We've seriously drifted into fantasy land, here. "The question is: why is this nomination process so rigged?" How is winning the majority of elected delegates "rigged"? It is not "rigged" just because you don't like the outcome.
Actually it is "rigged." When Bernie Sanders wins a state and Hillary gets nearly the same number or more delegates than Bernie, when he actually wins - that's a "rigged" system. Hmm

Look at Oklahoma, Bernie won by 10 points, yet only 4 delegates difference between them.

Kansas, Bernie won by 26%, yet only 15 delegates separate the two.

Nebraska, Bernie wins by 15%, 5 delegates separate Bernie and Hillary.

Colorado, Bernie wins by 18 points, 7 delegates separate the two.

Contrarian, extraordinaire

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
According to, On The Issues.Org, "She is as liberal as Elizabeth Warren and barely more moderate than Bernie Sanders."
I find that hard to believe. I don't think Lizzy Warren will be taking a Golden Sacks check anytime soon. Hillary never met a Golden Sacks check which she didn't like. Hmm

I'm sure everyone has noticed that Lizzy hasn't endorsed Hillary yet, right? smile

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
From FiveThirtyEight: "Clinton got beat on the left on one issue the last time she ran for president: the Iraq War." But in voting for the resolution, she was in the majority of the Democratic party: 58% of Democratic senators (29 of 50) voted for the resolution. In the context of the time, this is not actually surprising. People conveniently forget that the resolution authorized the President the discretion to use force..
We Lefties also said at the time, that the Bush Administration made-up Intel and the vote was based upon that. According to Fronline's documentary on the History of ISIS, VP Cheney's Office DID re-write the analysis from the CIA to promote an invasion, and Powell repeated those made-up "facts" at the U.N. - unwittingly.

For Senators like Sanders, he never violated his principal aversion to war and he didn't let the a-hole conservative neocons ("You're either with us; or against us") embarrass him into not voting for war. Good on him! smile

Scoutgal #288471 05/31/16 04:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good god, Rick, you do do basic math, don't you? Have you applied that to these results? (I have, it works. You have to know how votes are allocated.) In Oklahoma and Nebraska he actually got more than his proportional share of delegates.

Second, the rules are the same for all candidates. Just because the math doesn't work for Sanders does not indicate it is "rigged." That is truly just partisanship speaking.

Look, I'm a political scientist by training. I'm just analyzing this as an academic exercise. I'm not wearing blinders based upon my partisan desires.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Good god, Rick, you do do basic math, don't you? Have you applied that to these results? (I have, it works. You have to know how votes are allocated.) In Oklahoma and Nebraska he actually got more than his proportional share of delegates.
Naw mang, too lazy. Hmm

Look, I'm a political scientist by training. I'm just analyzing this as an academic exercise. I'm not wearing blinders based upon my partisan desires.
smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm a political scientist by training.
I'm not. But we seem to have come to the same conclusion.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Scoutgal #288478 05/31/16 08:59 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The "rigging" is all in the super-delegates. But, you know it's very easy to subtract them out when you look at the delegate counts. Other than their votes, all states have a set of rules that do not favor one candidate over another. Not the same set of rules, mind you, but still fair. The fact that one candidate in this race has more enthusiastic fans who are motivated to attend a caucus (as opposed to just a mail-in ballot like my area) is simply a matter of the rules for those states.

Are caucuses more democratic than primary elections? Got me!

old hand
old hand
We've seriously drifted into fantasy land, here. "The question is: why is this nomination process so rigged?" How is winning the majority of elected delegates "rigged"? It is not "rigged" just because you don't like the outcome. Clinton has won more delegates.
You truly DID NOT understand the issue. It is not about this particular primary process - it is about the whole process. I have shown with fact that it is rigged. The existence of delegates that are not tied to the results of popular votes and who answer only to the party bosses is a FACT. Please read previous posts before responding.
Your partisanship is showing dear fellow.

What is being classified as liberal? Is that the same as progressive? To compare Hillary to Warren is to muddy the waters.

For example, in her book, “The Two Income Trap,” Warren slammed Clinton for casting a Senate vote in 2001 for a bankruptcy bill that ultimately passed in 2005. That legislation makes it more difficult for credit card customers to renegotiate their debts, even as it allows the wealthy to protect their second homes and yachts from creditors. According to a 2009 study by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the bankruptcy bill’s provisions changing debt payback provisions played a central role in the foreclosure crisis, as the new law forced homeowners to pay off credit card debts before paying their mortgage.

“As first lady, Mrs. Clinton had been persuaded that the bill was bad for families, and she was willing to fight for her beliefs,” Warren wrote. “As New York’s newest senator, however, it seems that Hillary Clinton could not afford such a principled position. … The bill was essentially the same, but Hillary Rodham Clinton was not.”
Salon

When I take a position, I base it upon facts, not wishful thinking. According to, On The Issues.Org, "She is as liberal as Elizabeth Warren and barely more moderate than Bernie Sanders."

Not sure what you are calling fact but it does not pass the test of actual fact or even common sense.

From FiveThirtyEight: "Clinton got beat on the left on one issue the last time she ran for president: the Iraq War." But in voting for the resolution, she was in the majority of the Democratic party: 58% of Democratic senators (29 of 50) voted for the resolution. In the context of the time, this is not actually surprising. People conveniently forget that the resolution authorized the President the discretion to use force. At the time, many believed it was necessary to do so to strengthen the President's hand in ongoing negotiations with the Hussein regime. A vote against the resolution (which was bipartisan and co-sponsored) would have undermined his negotiating position. While I didn't trust Bush to behave responsibly, he was the President, and needed that authority in the interest of national security. That he misused that authority once he got it cannot be blamed on the Democrats, even those that voted for it.
This is a cop out. And it isn't true. She didn't lose on the left ONLY because of the Iraq war. She lost because she has no real positions on the issues that matter to the left. And she has been known to cater to opposing interests when it suits her ends. She is not a believable candidate, never was.

This is why:

On Thursday, Clinton herself vented about the Sanders campaign at a rally in New York, and when confronted by a Greenpeace activist about her financial ties to the fossil fuel industry, she replied testily: “I am so sick of the Sanders campaign lying about me. I’m sick of it.”

Of course, no one is lying about Clinton, who employs a number of bundlers registered as lobbyists for the fossil fuel industry — as Greenpeace documents here — and in an issued response, Greenpeace Democracy Campaign Director Molly Dorozenski said the following:

“Secretary Clinton is conflating Greenpeace with the Sanders campaign, but we are an independent organization, and our research team has assessed the contributions to all Presidential candidates. We have not and will not endorse candidates. Earlier this year, we asked both Secretary Clinton and Senator Sanders to sign our pledge to #fixdemocracy, and while Sanders signed, Clinton did not. We intend to continue to challenge all candidates to listen to the people, not their biggest donors.”

Hillary is sick of the left

I think you will find the partisan by looking in the mirror. coffee

Now add to that her ties to Wall Street and to neo liberal economics and you've got a clear distinction between Sanders and Warren vs. Clinton.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 05/31/16 10:01 AM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
I'm not wearing blinders based upon my partisan desires.

Maybe you are? Hmm

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288481 05/31/16 10:12 AM
old hand
old hand
And of course, as if more proof were needed, here are her picks for the DNC Platform:

Intercept

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 61 of 193 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard