WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 62 of 193 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 192 193
Scoutgal #288483 05/31/16 10:56 AM
old hand
old hand
The Goldman connection (a part of it, anyway):

WHEN HILLARY CLINTON’S son-in-law sought funding for his new hedge fund in 2011, he found financial backing from one of the biggest names on Wall Street: Goldman Sachs chief executive Lloyd Blankfein.

The fund, called Eaglevale Partners, was founded by Chelsea Clinton’s husband, Marc Mezvinsky, and two of his partners. Blankfein not only personally invested in the fund, but allowed his association with it to be used in the fund’s marketing.

The investment did not turn out to be a savvy business decision. Earlier this month, Mezvinsky was forced to shutter one of the investment vehicles he launched under Eaglevale, called Eaglevale Hellenic Opportunity, after losing 90 percent of its money betting on the Greek recovery. The flagship Eaglevale fund has also lost money, according to the New York Times.

There has been minimal reporting on the Blankfein investment in Eaglevale Partners, which is a private fund that faces few disclosure requirements. At a campaign rally in downtown San Francisco on Thursday, I attempted to ask Hillary Clinton if she knew the amount that Blankfein invested in her son-in-law’s fund.

Intercept

Last edited by Ezekiel; 05/31/16 10:59 AM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288486 05/31/16 11:23 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I get it: I disagree, therefore I am partisan. Great logic there. "I'm rubber, you're glue..."

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel #288497 05/31/16 05:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What is being classified as liberal? Is that the same as progressive?
No, I don't think so. Just to make the point, the difference is rather like the difference between the TEA Party and mainstream Republicans. Progressives, while nothing like the right wing lunatic fringe, tend to lean farther left than Liberals. I consider myself Progressive but the common sense side of me says that, at this time, a Liberal is better suited for the presidency. Hence my preference for Hillary. President Obama is not nearly as progressive as I would have liked, yet he made great strides. Hillary is not as progressive as I would like her to be, yet I expect to see the country swing farther left during her administration. At the very least we will get a more liberally biased Supreme Court which will pave the way for more politically progressive endeavors in the future. Efforts put forth by a more moderate president will stand a better chance of gaining traction in Congress than those of a progressive. Most of our Democratic congressmen and women are somewhat moderate. The president needs their support first and foremost. They are, unfortunately, beholden to the voters and beset by attacks from the right so it's not politically expedient for them to swing too far left if they want to keep their jobs. Even if they are really just a bunch of DINOs we need them as placeholders as we continue to wrest control of our government from the mindless ravages of the Right.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
old hand
old hand
NW
Once again you are projecting. That we disagree about Ms. Clinton is obvious. But my arguments are based on her record and her actions. I disagree with her politics. That is not partisan, in fact, it is logic. And it is how I would hope people would think when choosing a candidate: if you agree with the candidate's politics you should support her/him. If not then you should seek an alternative. I believe the good reception that Bernie has had this cycle is a function of that: having a choice and expressing one's opinion about the candidates.
It worked wonders here in NY. Zephyr Teachout challenged Cuomo and even though we all knew she couldn't win we all turned out to vote for her. As a result, Cuomo has had to take a more progressive position on a whole host of issues.

Last edited by Ezekiel; 05/31/16 06:54 PM.
Ezekiel #288506 05/31/16 08:24 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
So, if somebody loses money and has a Clinton connection, it is evidence of corruption? And if somebody makes money and has a Clinton connection it is evidence of corruption?

Seems like you are just going in with a belief that there is corruption and blaming any outcome on your belief.

Not so unusual for a hedge fund to lose money. They make some pretty scary bets sometimes.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
So, if somebody loses money and has a Clinton connection, it is evidence of corruption? And if somebody makes money and has a Clinton connection it is evidence of corruption .
I want whatever your smoking ROTFMOL
It is evidence of a connection - that's what the article says- if you bother to read it.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288515 05/31/16 08:58 PM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Am I an ideologue too?
Here's my question, or questions:

If Bernie loses the nomination, as expected, do the rest of the Democratic Party supporters feel justified in telling the progressives to DROP DEAD?

Does that make his supporters illegitimate and most importantly, how does it make his positions on the issues illegitimate?
Because if any of the above is true, then it means that the Democratic Party HAS NO liberal wing anymore. So what does that make the party?
Neoconservative?
Neoliberal?
Diet GOP?

Here's what I want you to think about.
Bernie's supporters now total approximately 40-45% of the party. How is it beneficial to throw almost half the base under the bus?
How does that help anything?

Now, I do not feel that this is an ideologue position, it's a simple question of effectiveness. If we throw almost half the base under the bus, doesn't it become obvious that the remainder of the base will certainly do their utmost to prove that they are just as conservative as the Republicans? After all, once you erase the progressives, you're left with Blue Dogs (CONSERVATIVE Democrats) Third Way, Democratic Leadership Council minions and DINO's, the Joe Liebermans, the Max Baucuses, the Zell Millers, the Ben Nelsons and the Jim Webbs, who by the way are the kind of Democrats who walked away from OBAMA during the midterm elections thus HANDING both houses of Congress to the Republicans.

If that's ideology, then you better label it the ideology of survival because if that is the Democratic Party platform, then we really do have a one party system, and the term Democrat stands for absolutely nothing, it's just the less racist and less misogynistic version of the Republican Party.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If Bernie loses the nomination, as expected, do the rest of the Democratic Party supporters feel justified in telling the progressives to DROP DEAD?

Does that make his supporters illegitimate and most importantly, how does it make his positions on the issues illegitimate?

Progressive positions are extremely relevant to the Democratic platform. If anything they are, like Bernie, just a little ahead of the times. There is a lot of political calculation at play here, Progressives want to jump in with both feet, make waves, and upset the apple cart. Liberals feel that things will work more smoothly if changes are made incrementally. Ultimately the goals are the same.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Scoutgal #288520 05/31/16 10:38 PM
'
The present situation rather reminds me of 1964:

one candidate who might start a nuclear war and one candidate who definitely will start wars and keep the mayhem going on.

Once, weapons were manufactured to fight wars; today, wars are manufactured to sell weapons

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived
Scoutgal #288531 06/01/16 08:29 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Really, Liberals do NOT want to throw the Progressives under the bus: They want to elect a President who will get changes (especially in the Supreme Court) that Progressives will like. They won't get the revolution, and they won't suddenly get to hunt down and barbeque the rich. But they will get a liberal Supreme Court for the next 30 years. They probably won't get single-payer for all, but they will get some movement towards it maybe including profit limits on Big Pharma. They won't get free college for everybody, but they will get some relief programs for student loans and some low-cost state colleges and universities for the qualified.

Why settle for the broken dream of changes that the American public will not support versus some changes that they will support? Politics is the Art of the Possible. Having dreams is great, but fixating on dreams that never come true is for losers.

Page 62 of 193 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard