WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 63 of 193 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 192 193
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
Having dreams is great, but fixating on dreams that never come true is for losers.
Gee I'll bet all those losers in the Civil Rights, Workers Rights, Women's Rights, Gay Rights, etc. movements are so sorry that you hadn't told them this before they started. Then they could have just waited for things to happen instead of making them happen.
And those soldiers who died in WWII could have stayed home, while millions were fried, and waited until they voted Hitler out of office.
Ah yes, it is the losers who create change. Interesting... coffee

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288535 06/01/16 05:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gee I'll bet all those losers in the Civil Rights, Workers Rights, Women's Rights, Gay Rights, etc. movements are so sorry that you hadn't told them this before they started.
True. But the gains in these areas have come about slowly, with fits and starts, incrementally you might say. Dreamers provide the impetus, policy wonks get the job done. Society doesn't always go along.
If Bernie Sanders commitment to peace is as great as some would have me believe, then the US would never have entered into WWII. Hitler was a dreamer too.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #288536 06/01/16 06:29 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
Gee I'll bet all those losers in the Civil Rights, Workers Rights, Women's Rights, Gay Rights, etc. movements are so sorry that you hadn't told them this before they started.
True. But the gains in these areas have come about slowly, with fits and starts, incrementally you might say. Dreamers provide the impetus, policy wonks get the job done. Society doesn't always go along.
If Bernie Sanders commitment to peace is as great as some would have me believe, then the US would never have entered into WWII. Hitler was a dreamer too.

These movements achieved gains by CONSTANT POLITICAL PRESSURE as well as the blood, sweat and tears (and death) of the people who fought for them. Parts of any society will ALWAYS be opposed to change. Not sure how you're defining slowly but without disruption and protest nothing happens.
As for WWII, I have NEVER met a pacifist who was against it. There was a real threat and there were millions dying. The need for military intervention was evident to all. So I don't think Bernie, or any person with a conscience, would have sat that one out.
Bernie is not a dreamer. He is a realist. He wants to salvage what is left of this country.
Johnson was a hard nosed politician but he knew that the civil rights bill was a political necessity, while all of his fellow southerners were telling him to take it slow. He lost the Dixiecrats in then process but, he made it happen,
Lincoln too, a hard nosed politician. Ending slavery (aside from the moral imperative) was an economic necessity. Half the country went to war over that.
So, in fact, only those who have the courage to make things happen achieve anything.
As for Hitler, he too (as evil as he was) made things happen. He didn't sit around in a bar talking about how great it would be to conquer the world.
Ms. Clinton will walk this country backward, in my opinion. I really hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't believe I am.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288538 06/01/16 07:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As for WWII, I have NEVER met a pacifist who was against it.
Yes, but nonetheless America was deeply reluctant to enter into that war. We had been embroiled in the Great Depression and had lost over 100,000 soldiers not too many years before in WWI.
FDR wanted to intercede on behalf of Great Britain but Hitler's conquest of Europe wasn't enough to draw us in. It wasn't Hitler but Japanese Emperor Hirohito's bombing of Pearl Harbor that did the trick.
Bernie is not a dreamer. He is a realist.
Oh, Please. Bernie's Platform is based on three things. Breaking up the big banks. Free college education for all. And Single payer healthcare. He has done nothing for Women, Blacks, Hispanics, or the LGBTQ community. The very people whose blood sweat and tears you cite he has basically ignored. Bernie's appeal is mostly to intellectual white people, and Rick. It is Bernie who will walk the country backward because everything he wants involves massive tax increases and the redistribution of wealth(downward as oppose to our current situation). You can believe this or not, but calling for massive tax increases, despite his lofty goals(dreams?) would be political suicide. I don't even need to get out my cracked crystal ball to tell you that he would be a single term president and would be defeated in 2020 by a Republican.

Scoutgal #288539 06/01/16 08:27 PM
old hand
old hand
You're joking, right? If that's what you think Bernie's platform is you're on crack.
The only thing you'll get with Clinton is more Wall Street, more concentration of wealth and more mass imprisonment of minorities. A couple more wars to boot. Nation building. Yeah, all those good things you so love.
If you don't raise taxes on the rich then you're a republican. If you believe in trickle down you're an idiot.
If you think you can ignore the environment then you're really stupid.
If you think the only way to help minorities is by jailing them, and then trying to be nice as you take any chance they ever had of economic advancement and pass it on to the corporations, well, I have no words for someone who thinks that.
The only thing that will help the majority, I.e. 99% of the population, (which, of course, includes large portions of the so-called minorities) is economic and social justice. If you think that's a dream then you've got some issues that are, as yet, unidentified.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Greger #288540 06/01/16 08:47 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
...Bernie's appeal is mostly to intellectual white people, and Rick...
Rick libel! cry

It takes intelligence to write snark this good. smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Ezekiel #288542 06/01/16 09:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you don't raise taxes on the rich then you're a republican. If you believe in trickle down you're an idiot.
If you think you can ignore the environment then you're really stupid.
If you think the only way to help minorities is by jailing them, and then trying to be nice as you take any chance they ever had of economic advancement and pass it on to the corporations, well, I have no words for someone who thinks that.
I don't recall ever saying I was in favor of any of those things.
But that is pretty much the beliefs of half the country and the majority in Congress, and that is exactly what the next president, just like the current president, will be dealing with.
I don't think we've ever had to suffer through a period of economic and social justice in this country, many have dreamed of it, none have made it come to pass. Instead, the war must be fought on a thousand fronts with a Congress that is determined to make any Democratic president fail and they don't give a rat's ass if the country goes straight to hell and the entire world economy is destroyed as they do it. This is our reality. I don't like it any more than you do but sweeping changes simply aren't in the cards. Genuine economic and social justice may have never existed in the entire history of mankind and Bernie is not liable to deliver them to us in the next four years. The reality is that he will pound his head against a wall of dissent trying to get it to break while a politician like Clinton will scratch and scrabble at it in a thousand different ways and places to weaken it. His method would get him a bloodied head, hers will make gains.
The art of the possible, y'know?

pdx rick #288544 06/01/16 09:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
...Bernie's appeal is mostly to intellectual white people, and Rick...
Rick libel! cry

It takes intelligence to write snark this good. smile
I wondered how long it would take you to pick up on that smile
I'm genuinely sorry for making a joke at your expense but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Greger #288545 06/01/16 09:33 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
I wondered how long it would take you to pick up on that smile
Nanoseconds. Not bad for a dumbfvck. coffee

Scoutgal #288546 06/01/16 09:36 PM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

So, given polls showing Bernie beating Trump by wide-margins, and Hillary even with Trump and possibly losing to him - how is it that Hillary has any support? Hmm

Page 63 of 193 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard