WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 67 of 193 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 192 193
pdx rick #288593 06/02/16 08:56 PM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
For some reason, liberals are still behind the curve on this, preferring instead to just let Trump win, let Rome go up in flames and muddle through the next four years. No matter how carefully I explain the damage that can be done by two or even three new Scalia/Thomas clones, they just don't seem to get it yet
Conversely, Bill Kristol type "conservatives" say just let Hillary win and they'll get someone better in four years. Hmm

So that's why Kristol is stumping for a Ryan or some other shill?
Come on mang, you know what his wet dream really is.
You don't?

Kristol, like a lot of other GOP-ers, intends to dilute everything down to the point where NO CANDIDATE can get 270 votes.
Guess what happens then?
It goes to the largely Republican Congress, who SELECTS the new President!

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
pdx rick #288594 06/02/16 08:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My UCLA tuition in 1981-82 was couch change, about a thousand a year, which translates to roughly $2600 today if my math is right.
Any kid working a part time McJob can handle that, yes?
Not if they're typical, most of their salary would go to paying rent.

I dunno bout chew mang, but most of my fellow students were either commuting from home or living with a minimum of three roommates, maybe four.

Rent ain't too high when you have three other roomies helping out, mang. wink

deepfreezefilms.com
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
We're basically screwed either way whomever gets into office
Somehow, I think you will change your tune after a couple of years of Hillary as President, versus Trump. They are completely different people, no matter how much you dislike Hillary. Trump would be a disaster on many fronts. Hillary will not.

I keep saying that Hilz will not be the end of the world if we can count on a Bernie type liberal wing acting as a counterbalance.
I not only think that is reasonable, I think we can count on that being reality.

deepfreezefilms.com
Greger #288596 06/02/16 09:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Greger
How I really want the country to be governed, probably won't happen, sadly.
Welcome to reality. Even if Bernie were elected the country still wouldn't be governed the way you want it. But if Trump were elected it would be governed like you really don't want it to be governed.
When the president clocks in for his/her four year shift he/she is handed a veto pen, a bully pulpit, a few supreme court nominations, and a million chances to make the wrong decision after not nearly enough sleep. In the balance lies world peace, human rights, climate change issues, the economy, and the day to day operation of the Federal Government.
We already know that Donald Trump would throw away the veto pen, select supreme court justices who use that pocket version of the Constitution, and give Republicans and the TEA Party free reign while they turn the entire country into Kansas. All while sleeping soundly and making more wrong decisions than George W. Bush.
Obamacare would go out the window, Dodd-Frank would go out with it.
Social Security would be slashed, deficits and the national debt would soar, the economy would likely collapse, LBGTQ rights would disappear, Rowe Wade would be overturned, taxes slashed for the wealthy. Immigrants would be faced with unspeakable indignities, police forces become more militarized and more unarmed black children would be gunned down in the streets. Veterans would be ignored while the military budget became even more bloated and we'd have boots on the ground in a dozen shytepot countries and flag covered caskets rolling in by the dozens. Trump not only doesn't believe in climate change, he doesn't even think there's a drought in California.
In a nutshell, America would be great again.
So, when you ponder the depredations that would invariably occur under a Trump administration perhaps you'll breath a little easier and not have to hold your nose while voting for Hillary.

I got nothin but love for you Greger.
You win the internet for that post. Bow

All I would say is that Hillary can only BENEFIT from allowing Bernie and his liberal wing to act as something of a conscience.
Was it LBJ who said, "Make me do the right thing" ??
Well, there it is, Bernie can "make her do the right thing" when it is necessary.

deepfreezefilms.com
Scoutgal #288597 06/02/16 09:34 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If she goes into office with an open line of communication (and maybe even some political debt) to the left wing, that would be fine. I actually admire a lot of Bernie's goals. I just think Hillary has a much better chance of realizing some of them.

I still think Bernie would make a very fine President of the Senate for her, AKA the VP. Especially if he had a Democratic majority in that house.

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
My UCLA tuition in 1981-82 was couch change, about a thousand a year, which translates to roughly $2600 today if my math is right.
Any kid working a part time McJob can handle that, yes?
Not if they're typical, most of their salary would go to paying rent.

I dunno bout chew mang, but most of my fellow students were either commuting from home or living with a minimum of three roommates, maybe four.

Rent ain't too high when you have three other roomies helping out, mang. wink
Naw mang, look at LA's Craig's List: $2685 1 bdrm, $5870 3 bdrm, $6700 3 berm - those are some Iranian royalty prices!! Ain't no student working at Micky D's can afford that! smile

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Greger #288603 06/02/16 10:52 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
How I really want the country to be governed, probably won't happen, sadly.
Welcome to reality. Even if Bernie were elected the country still wouldn't be governed the way you want it. But if Trump were elected it would be governed like you really don't want it to be governed.
When the president clocks in for his/her four year shift he/she is handed a veto pen, a bully pulpit, a few supreme court nominations, and a million chances to make the wrong decision after not nearly enough sleep. In the balance lies world peace, human rights, climate change issues, the economy, and the day to day operation of the Federal Government.
We already know that Donald Trump would throw away the veto pen, select supreme court justices who use that pocket version of the Constitution, and give Republicans and the TEA Party free reign while they turn the entire country into Kansas. All while sleeping soundly and making more wrong decisions than George W. Bush.
Obamacare would go out the window, Dodd-Frank would go out with it.
Social Security would be slashed, deficits and the national debt would soar, the economy would likely collapse, LBGTQ rights would disappear, Rowe Wade would be overturned, taxes slashed for the wealthy. Immigrants would be faced with unspeakable indignities, police forces become more militarized and more unarmed black children would be gunned down in the streets. Veterans would be ignored while the military budget became even more bloated and we'd have boots on the ground in a dozen shytepot countries and flag covered caskets rolling in by the dozens. Trump not only doesn't believe in climate change, he doesn't even think there's a drought in California.
In a nutshell, America would be great again.
So, when you ponder the depredations that would invariably occur under a Trump administration perhaps you'll breath a little easier and not have to hold your nose while voting for Hillary.

Still gotta hold your nose. Comparing Trump to Clinton is ridiculous. Reality is she is retrograde from a progressive point of view. Trump is a Buffon. I have little hope for this election cycle. Especially when the rationale is "she's not the end of world". No she isn't but if that's a reason we're in trouble. The only reason I can see to vote for her is to vote against Trump - but I will do it wearing a gas mask.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

pdx rick #288604 06/02/16 11:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You can get a 1 bedroom in my little town for under $800, 3 bedroom for twice that. The local college aint fancy but it's cheap. You want to live in the big city you gotta pay big city prices.
a few listings

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Scoutgal #288605 06/02/16 11:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have no problem voting for Hillary Clinton. The only people who believe she is "retrograde" are those who are too far left to recognize the difference between Mao and Mussolini. She has always been much more liberal than her husband (you can look through history to see that). Being liberal, however, does not mean marching lockstep with every progressive wet dream. I'm very progressive. I'm also very pragmatic and very idealistic. You can throw out all the invective you want, that doesn't make it any more "real" than anything that Trump spews. Hillary Clinton is now a seasoned politician. Much as I like Bernie Sanders, he is not. Nor is he ever likely to be.

We're on the verge, I believe, of a significant (and hopefully permanent) political shift to the left. This is at least generational. Do I want seriously progressive policies? Oh yeah! Do I agree with Sanders on many issues/principles? Certainly. What is missed is, so does Hillary Clinton. Inside Gov; Hillary or Bernie?; Who Is the Real Progressive: Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders?

Sanders is on the forefront of a progressive wave, yes - but, he isn't leading it. That is a significant point. If you want to see the leadership of progressivism, you have to look elsewhere, like at Elizabeth Warren or Russ Feingold. OR, dare I say it, Hillary Clinton.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I have no problem voting for Hillary Clinton. The only people who believe she is "retrograde" are those who are too far left to recognize the difference between Mao and Mussolini. She has always been much more liberal than her husband. Being liberal, however, does not mean marching lockstep with every progressive wet dream. I'm very progressive. I'm also very pragmatic and very idealistic. You can throw out all the invective you want, that doesn't make it any more "real" than anything that Trump spews. Hillary Clinton is now a seasoned politician. Much as I like Bernie Sanders, he is not. Not is he ever likely to be.

We're on the verge, I believe, of a significant (and hopefully permanent) political shift to the left. This is at least generational. Do I want seriously progressive policies? Oh yeah! Do I agree with Sanders on many issues/principles? Certainly. What is missed is, so does Hillary Clinton.
Do you know the difference between Mao and Mussolini?
You may ordain yourself progressive etc. Your opinion. Clinton is retrograde. And somehow you've managed to convince yourself otherwise. C'est la vie.
Doesn't make it so.
BTW Mussolini was not on the left - just a hint LOL

Last edited by Ezekiel; 06/02/16 11:47 PM.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Page 67 of 193 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard