WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 68 of 193 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 192 193
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Do I agree with Sanders on many issues/principles? Certainly. What is missed is, so does Hillary Clinton.
gobsmacked

If Bernie hadn't been in the race, for example, would Hillary have taken a firm position on the Keystone XL pipeline, the minimum wage and the Asia trade deal?

I think not... Hmm
  • As secretary of state, Hillary described TPP in glowing terms. Later, she stepped back from that support
  • For much of 2015, Hillary avoided taking a position on the XL Pipeline - she finally relented.
  • In July 2015, Hillary said she supported a $12 federal minimum wage - Bernie said $15
Whereas, Bernie was always in front on these issues, on the correct side. Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

Ezekiel #288609 06/03/16 12:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wasn't comparing Trump to Clinton, just pointing out what would likely happen with Trump. When it comes down to brass tacks the difference between a Clinton and a Sanders presidency wouldn't be that great. Both would wield the veto pen about equally. Both would pick great Supreme Court justices. I don't think Clinton would be particularly eager to go to war, remember that one time she voted for a war and all the grief she's gotten from it? And as you said there are some conflicts that even a pacifist will not shy away from...

Sanders supported Bill Clinton’s war on Serbia, voted for the 2001 Authorization Unilateral Military Force Against Terrorists (AUMF), which pretty much allowed Bush to wage war wherever he wanted, backed Obama’s Libyan debacle and supports an expanded US role in the Syrian Civil War.

More problematic for the Senator in Birkenstocks is the little-known fact that Bernie Sanders himself voted twice in support of regime change in Iraq. In 1998 Sanders voted in favor of the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, which said: “It should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.”

Later that same year, Sanders also backed a resolution that stated: “Congress reaffirms that it should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.” These measures gave congressional backing for the CIA’s covert plan to overthrow the Hussein regime in Baghdad, as well as the tightening of an economic sanctions regime that may have killed as many as 500,000 Iraqi children. The resolution also gave the green light to Operation Desert Fox, a four-day long bombing campaign striking 100 targets throughout Iraq. The operation featured more than 300 bombing sorties and 350 ground-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles, several targeting Saddam Hussein himself.

Even Hillary belatedly admitted that her Iraq war vote was a mistake. Bernie, however, has never apologized for his two votes endorsing the overthrow of Saddam.
Counterpunch

In foreign affairs I'd have to give Hillary the edge due to her Secretary of State experience. In dealing with congress Bernie might come out ahead, he's been doing it a long long time. Neither really has much in the way of executive experience but I think she has a much better idea about what she's getting into once she's elected since she has already lived in that big white house for eight years and seen firsthand what it's like to be under that kind of pressure.
She'd likely use her bully pulpit to push for more social justice while Bernie would focus on economic equality. Either candidate would probably be a great president. It just turned out that Clinton is the one most likely to get the chance.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Scoutgal #288610 06/03/16 12:05 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
She has always been much more liberal than her husband (you can look through history to see that)..

• DADT - same as her husband
  • NAFTA - same as her husband
  • Gay Marraige - same as her husband
  • Glass-Steagall - same as her husband

In the 90s, I can only find that Hillary was "liberal" on healthcare, she wanted a single-payer and the Republicans put up HEART which is exactly where Obamacare came from.

pdx rick #288612 06/03/16 12:18 AM
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
It's the Despair Quotient!
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by pdx rick
Originally Posted by Jeffery J. Haas
Originally Posted by pdx rick
My UCLA tuition in 1981-82 was couch change, about a thousand a year, which translates to roughly $2600 today if my math is right.
Any kid working a part time McJob can handle that, yes?
Not if they're typical, most of their salary would go to paying rent.

I dunno bout chew mang, but most of my fellow students were either commuting from home or living with a minimum of three roommates, maybe four.

Rent ain't too high when you have three other roomies helping out, mang. wink
Naw mang, look at LA's Craig's List: $2685 1 bdrm, $5870 3 bdrm, $6700 3 berm - those are some Iranian royalty prices!! Ain't no student working at Micky D's can afford that! smile

Rick, those are luxury apts in Westwood.

You DO realize that people commute to UCLA all day long, yes?

Opening up the locale gives you a range starting at around 800 or so for a 1 BR and 1 BR apts typically wind up with two or even three people (if two of them are a couple) renting it out.

Sure, if you limit your apts to "right around UCLA" you WILL pay through the nose. UCLA also has dorms, by the way.

Hollywood has apts ranging anywhere from 650 and up.
Don't like Hollywood apts? Neither do I (there are exceptions) but kids going to school ain't that picky!

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We rent out a three bedroom house easy bike, bus or drive distance from UCSD for $1900/month. My stepmother was renting rooms just a bit further away for $500/month with kitchen priviliges, cable TV, and broadband. UCSD students lived there.

Oh, yes. With a pool.

Greger #288617 06/03/16 12:39 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger
I wasn't comparing Trump to Clinton, just pointing out what would likely happen with Trump. When it comes down to brass tacks the difference between a Clinton and a Sanders presidency wouldn't be that great. Both would wield the veto pen about equally. Both would pick great Supreme Court justices. I don't think Clinton would be particularly eager to go to war, remember that one time she voted for a war and all the grief she's gotten from it? And as you said there are some conflicts that even a pacifist will not shy away from...

Sanders supported Bill Clinton’s war on Serbia, voted for the 2001 Authorization Unilateral Military Force Against Terrorists (AUMF), which pretty much allowed Bush to wage war wherever he wanted, backed Obama’s Libyan debacle and supports an expanded US role in the Syrian Civil War.

More problematic for the Senator in Birkenstocks is the little-known fact that Bernie Sanders himself voted twice in support of regime change in Iraq. In 1998 Sanders voted in favor of the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, which said: “It should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.”

Later that same year, Sanders also backed a resolution that stated: “Congress reaffirms that it should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.” These measures gave congressional backing for the CIA’s covert plan to overthrow the Hussein regime in Baghdad, as well as the tightening of an economic sanctions regime that may have killed as many as 500,000 Iraqi children. The resolution also gave the green light to Operation Desert Fox, a four-day long bombing campaign striking 100 targets throughout Iraq. The operation featured more than 300 bombing sorties and 350 ground-launched Tomahawk cruise missiles, several targeting Saddam Hussein himself.

Even Hillary belatedly admitted that her Iraq war vote was a mistake. Bernie, however, has never apologized for his two votes endorsing the overthrow of Saddam.
Counterpunch

In foreign affairs I'd have to give Hillary the edge due to her Secretary of State experience. In dealing with congress Bernie might come out ahead, he's been doing it a long long time. Neither really has much in the way of executive experience but I think she has a much better idea about what she's getting into once she's elected since she has already lived in that big white house for eight years and seen firsthand what it's like to be under that kind of pressure.
She'd likely use her bully pulpit to push for more social justice while Bernie would focus on economic equality. Either candidate would probably be a great president. It just turned out that Clinton is the one most likely to get the chance.
The stuff about Bernie is pretty well known. As I said before: there are a bunch of things I disagree with on his record. The difference is - he's really interested in economic change and I think he's still less hawkish than Clinton. She's very close to being a neo liberal in that camp.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

CHB-OG
CHB-OG
You DO realize that people commute to UCLA all day long, yes?
I forgot! Sheesh! gobsmacked

I've only been here 19 mos and I've already adopted the "more than 5 mi is a long-distance commute" mentality. Hmm

Ezekiel #288619 06/03/16 02:14 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The stuff about Bernie is pretty well known. As I said before: there are a bunch of things I disagree with on his record. The difference is - he's really interested in economic change and I think he's still less hawkish than Clinton. She's very close to being a neo liberal in that camp.
I'm not judging Bernie on this. But neither of them are die hard peaceniks. You may think he's less hawkish but as far as I'm concerned it's only an opinion and isn't backed up by facts.
He's really interested in economic change, she's really interested in social justice. Either would work hard to improve the lives of all Americans both socially and economically.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Ezekiel #288620 06/03/16 02:26 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zeke, my friend, you miss subtlety. The point is when you start as left as you do, everything looks retrograde. Mussolini and Mao were really not all that different. They just used different excuses for being dictators.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Greger #288621 06/03/16 03:28 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG
Originally Posted by Greger
He's really interested in economic change, she's really interested in social justice. Either would work hard to improve the lives of all Americans both socially and economically.
Then they should run as a ticket. laugh

Glad this is settled now. smile

What shall we discuss next? Hmm

Page 68 of 193 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard