WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 69 of 193 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 192 193
Ezekiel #288622 06/03/16 03:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
You may ordain yourself progressive etc. Your opinion. Clinton is retrograde. And somehow you've managed to convince yourself otherwise. C'est la vie.
Doesn't make it so.
Sticking with the rubber/glue approach, huh?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #288623 06/03/16 03:36 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Y'all do realize that Bill Clinton left office 16 years ago? Nothing of note has happened since then, right? No one's opinions or positions have changed?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #288624 06/03/16 04:12 AM
CHB-OG
CHB-OG

I post this only for the title of the article. Now mainstream media is calling 2016 a "hold your nose" election.

Hmm

Contrarian, extraordinaire

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
You may ordain yourself progressive etc. Your opinion. Clinton is retrograde. And somehow you've managed to convince yourself otherwise. C'est la vie.
Doesn't make it so.
Sticking with the rubber/glue approach, huh?
Your failure to present any proof of your statements is the issue.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Zeke, my friend, you miss subtlety. The point is when you start as left as you do, everything looks retrograde. Mussolini and Mao were really not all that different. They just used different excuses for being dictators.
I don't know where you got that from, but that is historical revisionism at its worst - and about as subtle as an elephant in heat. Fascism is not communism, in fact they are polar opposites. They have nothing is common, dear friend. And I really think you know that.

Fascism is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism that came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe, influenced by national syndicalism. Fascism originated in Italy during World War I and spread to other European countries. Fascism opposes liberalism, Marxism and anarchism and is usually placed on the far-right within the traditional left–right spectrum.

In political and social sciences, communism (from Latin communis, "common, universal") is a social, political, and economic ideology and movement whose ultimate goal is the establishment of the communist society, which is a socioeconomic order structured upon the common ownership of the means of production and the absence of social classes, money, and the state.

Oh I forgot: they do have something in common: their names both begin with "M" ROTFMOL

Last edited by Ezekiel; 06/03/16 10:09 AM.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Y'all do realize that Bill Clinton left office 16 years ago? Nothing of note has happened since then, right? No one's opinions or positions have changed?
If you can believe a word that either of them say, then maybe something has changed. That is difficult. And it seems I'm not alone in that.

WaPo

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288632 06/03/16 10:29 AM
old hand
old hand
NOAM CHOMSKY on Bernie Sanders:

NOAM CHOMSKY: Well, Bernie Sanders is an extremely interesting phenomenon. He’s a decent, honest person. That’s pretty unusual in the political system. Maybe there are two of them in the world, you know. But he’s considered radical and extremist, which is a pretty interesting characterization, because he’s basically a mainstream New Deal Democrat. His positions would not have surprised President Eisenhower, who said, in fact, that anyone who does not accept New Deal programs doesn’t belong in the American political system. That’s now considered very radical.

The other interesting aspect of Sanders’s positions is that they’re quite strongly supported by the general public, and have been for a long time. That’s true on taxes. It’s true on healthcare. So, take, say, healthcare. His proposal for a national healthcare system, meaning the kind of system that just about every other developed country has, at half the per capita cost of the United States and comparable or better outcomes, that’s considered very radical. But it’s been the position of the majority of the American population for a long time. So, you go back, say, to the Reagan—right now, for example, latest polls, about 60 percent of the population favor it. When Obama put through the Affordable Care Act, there was, you recall, a public option. But that was dropped. It was dropped even though it was supported by about almost two-thirds of the population. You go back earlier, say, to the Reagan years, about 70 percent of the population thought that national healthcare should be in the Constitution, because it’s such an obvious right. And, in fact, about 40 percent of the population thought it was in the Constitution, again, because it’s such an obvious right. The same is true on tax policy and others.

So we have this phenomenon where someone is taking positions that would have been considered pretty mainstream during the Eisenhower years, that are supported by a large part, often a considerable majority, of the population, but he’s dismissed as radical and extremist. That’s an indication of how the spectrum has shifted to the right during the neoliberal period, so far to the right that the contemporary Democrats are pretty much what used to be called moderate Republicans. And the Republicans are just off the spectrum. They’re not a legitimate parliamentary party anymore. And Sanders has—the significant part of—he has pressed the mainstream Democrats a little bit towards the progressive side. You see that in Clinton’s statements. But he has mobilized a large number of young people, these young people who are saying, "Look, we’re not going to consent anymore." And if that turns into a continuing, organized, mobilized—mobilized force, that could change the country—maybe not for this election, but in the longer term.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288634 06/03/16 12:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zeke, with due respect, you are an ideologue of the highest order, "an adherent of an ideology, especially one who is uncompromising and dogmatic." While I greatly respect that you do so openly, it is beyond disingenuous to suggest I haven't provided any "proof" of my positions. You haven't read anything I've presented because you have a fixed idea and are not open to other views.

I'm glad you finally recognized that both Mao and Mussolini begin with "M", but their similarities go WAY beyond that. Both were totalitarians of the highest order. Fascism and communism may start from opposite ends of the spectrum, but they get to the same place by different paths. I doubt their victims really made subtle distinctions about why they were being exterminated. Their politics were just the excuse for taking power and enforcing their edicts. It's not so different between radical left and tea party adherents here.

Ezekiel #288635 06/03/16 01:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you can believe a word that either of them say, then maybe something has changed. That is difficult. And it seems I'm not alone in that.

WaPo

And you offer us opinion polls as proof you are right? Well done, lad!

And on that same page a little blurb giving Bernie three Pinocchios for another of his lies.

Good coffee, good weed, and time on my hands...
Greger #288636 06/03/16 01:14 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Greger

WaPo

And you offer us opinion polls as proof you are right? Well done, lad!

And on that same page a little blurb giving Bernie three Pinocchios for another of his lies.
So you think all polls are created equal? Surely you jest. Criteria, my boy, criteria.
You mean as opposed to the countless lies told by Ms. Clinton? Don't even go there, brother. She has dodged and obfuscated with the best of them. No contest.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Page 69 of 193 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard