WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 71 of 193 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 192 193
Scoutgal #288650 06/03/16 07:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Zeke, my friend, what gave you the notion that my last post was in response to yours? Did you not notice that it was a separate post from the response? There are other participants in this thread.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel #288651 06/03/16 07:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Broken Link: The Intercept

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Zeke, my friend, what gave you the notion that my last post was in response to yours? Did you not notice that it was a separate post from the response? There are other participants in this thread.
Sorry about that ! My bad. I thought because it was following my post that it was. Although I should have known it didn't make sense.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288656 06/03/16 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
BTW I did not say that you were wrong to defend capitalism - just stand up for whatever principles you believe in. That way we can speak to each other as intelligent human beings which I believe we both are.
To call me extreme is funny, actually. I always thought that democracy meant the free expression of ideas and the OBLIGATION to dissent when one group is oppressed. I must be mistaken.
Americans are always blathering about free speech and how much they support freedom of expression, but if you get too far beyond a narrow range of acceptable opinions -- watch out! the knives come out!

My theory is: the more a group of people espouse a principle, and the stronger they claim to adhere to it, so much the more is the real situation the exact opposite.

Once, weapons were manufactured to fight wars; today, wars are manufactured to sell weapons

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived
Ezekiel #288657 06/03/16 09:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think, my friend, that we've lost sight of the central point of this thread. It's about the campaign. I think most observers recognize that Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump have tapped into disparate veins of populism within the electorate. I don't think either expected their campaigns to go as long or be as successful as they have been. But, elections are about where we are "in the moment." In the current moment, outsiders do well. But neither Bernie Sanders nor Donald Trump represent the majority of the electorate (or even their own parties).

I believe that Hillary Clinton will represent more of the electorate come November. Polling suggests that will be true. Progressives, liberals, moderates, Democrats and independents of every stripe should take note and get out to vote. If they don't, we could be saddled with a Trump presidency. When Ronald Reagan won I thought that would be as bad as it could get, then we got George Bush junior. And then he was reelected! Now thRepublicanse are putting up someone who could be the biggest liar in presidential history.

I'm not sure most people realize just how pathological the Donald really is. It's not as if he hides it. He will lie about anything and not bat an eye. I'm not sure he utters a sentence without a lie in it. But Republicans, no matter how little he represents their views, will vote for him. Republicans get in line.

When Sanders eventually concedes, I am confident he will throw his weight behind Clinton. He will lose some supporters when he does, but he wants to defeat the Republicans as much as any Democrat.

Scoutgal #288659 06/03/16 10:09 PM
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
Administrator
Bionic Scribe
You heard it here first:

The GOP has decided to appear to back Trump all the while setting him up for a classic failure just by letting him talk. That way they can legitimately claim to simply rescue the party with a different candidate.

Well, maybe not first

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul
Scoutgal #288661 06/03/16 10:28 PM
old hand
old hand
In an effort to dispel the semantic embroglio we seem to have conjured up I suggest we call Hillary a liberal (in the Wilson/Jane Adams vein) and Bernie can be called a Lefty in the Gene Debs style, although Debs was more to the left than Bernie.
The term progressive has lost any meaning at this point, anyway.
Phil, I think there is something to that. I also think he might have a meltdown before the convention. He doesn't seem to be able to play hardball.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

matthew #288662 06/03/16 10:36 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by matthew
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
BTW I did not say that you were wrong to defend capitalism - just stand up for whatever principles you believe in. That way we can speak to each other as intelligent human beings which I believe we both are.
To call me extreme is funny, actually. I always thought that democracy meant the free expression of ideas and the OBLIGATION to dissent when one group is oppressed. I must be mistaken.
Americans are always blathering about free speech and how much they support freedom of expression, but if you get too far beyond a narrow range of acceptable opinions -- watch out! the knives come out!

My theory is: the more a group of people espouse a principle, and the stronger they claim to adhere to it, so much the more is the real situation the exact opposite.

It's funny isn't it. But in fact, Debs in the U.S. And John McLean in Scotland were both jailed for "sedition" because they spoke out (note the word, speak) against conscription in WWI. They both died shortly after being released from prison - as a result of their encarceration. So I guess, the whole freedom of speech thing is sort of a suggestion.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288663 06/03/16 11:35 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Interesting thing about what Noam Chomsky had to say about the general popularity of single-payer healthcare: The public might favor it, but they keep on reelecting Republicans to Congress, and those Republicans vote against it. Even when they elect Democrats, often those are Blue Dogs who likewise vote against it.

When ACA passed Congress, it barely squeaked by because single-payer was removed. This was not Obama's preference but had to be done to get any bill at all. From a democratic point of view, we should have it right now because most people support it. But we do not have a popular democracy in which we get to vote on every issue.

The reality is that in many districts people will keep on voting against their own best interests because of the "dog whistle" issues some candidate brings up. Reality sucks some times.

matthew #288667 06/04/16 05:04 AM
L
veteran
veteran
L
Originally Posted by matthew

That right there is the Rule of the Opposite Thang! I most gen'ly sees it when Conservatives is talkin', so then it's ConROT.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Page 71 of 193 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard