WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 193 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 192 193
Ezekiel #288841 06/08/16 01:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How Bernie Sanders exits the race will determine how much impact his campaign will actually have. If he "fights on" and refuses to concede he will expose a hypocrisy that will undermine his credibility. If he gives a "fought the good fight" kind of speech he can have an impact on the platform and bring a great deal of credibility to the process and greatly influenced the future of the party.

It's really come down to whether his race is about Bernie Sanders or his ideas. Sanders will be 78 at the end of his term. He is not going to run again. His chance to make a real impact is now, while he has the momentum and the credibility. If he pulls his supporters into the general election campaign, he can influence an entire generation and move the entire Democratic party to the left. They will become the leaders of the party. The longer he stands off, the less impact he and they will have on the direction of the party. They will be on the outside looking in.

My prediction is, he will continue the fight and his, and their, moment will pass. I will be severely disappointed. I want that impact to be felt. Like Obama's election, this could be a generational sweep, if he plays it right. It could create a sweeping change in the Senate and even the House. He could get those representatives he's been supporting elected. Honestly, though, I'm not convinced Bernie Sanders is up to the task. He really is a politician, after all.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Ezekiel #288842 06/08/16 01:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
I wish someone could explain what is so historic about Hillary winning the nom.
....There have been many women presidents in the rest of the world - some good and some bad, just like a lot of men. I thought the presidency was supposed to be about ideas and not gender. I must be mistaken...
There has never been a woman nominee. That is historic. Ask most women. Yes, other leaders, other countries, have gone before, but not in the United States. Although it really is historic, the significance has been overshadowed and diluted by other things - Obama's election, her previous campaign success, service by many women in the cabinet and the Senate (including her own), so it doesn't feel as momentous. Come November, however, that will change.

Marriage equality now seems like a foregone conclusion, and yet it was only a year ago that a decades-long campaign finally bore fruit. The bathroom fight demonstrates that there is still room to go. Many felt Clinton should not be "the" woman who finally got the nod (many said the same about Obama), but one should not let their personal predilections color the significance of the moment. In some ways it is encouraging that people are not talking about her gender. But I guarantee there are many old white men who are lamenting her success because she is a woman, especially one named Trump.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
Scoutgal #288843 06/08/16 01:21 PM
old hand
old hand
You mean like Clinton didn't concede in 2008... Bernie's message should not, cannot be shut down.
And whatever the results of the primaries, she will remain the cagey politician she has always been, not unlike Bill.
Even the NY Times, while congratulating her on the win (and endorsing her) has said in editorial that she if she wants to be accepted by the Sanders supporters she must be more open about the questions regarding her relationship with Wall Street, etc.
This is not a personality contest, it is SUPPOSED to be a debate of ideas.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
I wish someone could explain what is so historic about Hillary winning the nom.
....There have been many women presidents in the rest of the world - some good and some bad, just like a lot of men. I thought the presi.dency was supposed to be about ideas and not gender. I must be mistaken...
There has never been a woman nominee. That is historic. Ask most women. Yes, other leaders, other countries, have gone before, but not in the United States. Although it really is historic, the significance has been overshadowed and diluted by other things - Obama's election, her previous campaign success, service by many women in the cabinet and the Senate (including her own), so it doesn't feel as momentous. Come November, however, that will change.

Marriage equality note seems like a foregone conclusion, and yet it was only a year ago that a decades-long campaign finally bore fruit. The bathroom fight demonstrates that there is still room to go. Many felt Clinton should not be "the" woman who finally got the nod (many said the same about Obama), but one should not let their personal predilections color the significance of the moment. In some ways it is encouraging that people are not talking about her gender. But I guarantee there are many old white men who are lamenting her success because she is a woman, especially one named Trump.

All the press seems concerned with is her gender (as they were with Obama's race), both of which are mistakes in my opinion. Obama won not because he is black but because he had good ideas (many of which, unfortunately, he abandoned along the way). My concern is not with a woman or a man, black, white or green, straight or gay, but with what the candidate stands for.
So historic because she is a woman only means we are behind the rest of the world in that regard (should I put my surprise face on, now?). I truly hope that she has learned from this campaign that rhetoric is not enough. I truly hope that she is willing to enforce a vision for this country that is inclusive economically and socially.
I hope...

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288845 06/08/16 01:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You mean like Clinton didn't concede in 2008...
What are you talking about?
Bernie's message should not, cannot be shut down.
The question is, will it be carried within the party or outside? Realistically, Bernie Sanders is not the best spokesman for these ideas. He just happened to be the vehicle for them at this moment. He's not been a member of the Democratic party until now, and will probably leave when this is over. His followers, however, will have other leaders they can support within the party (Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand) if they are in the party. They, in turn, can become the party's future leaders. That is how true change will occur.

L
veteran
veteran
L
...My prediction is, he will continue the fight and his, and their, moment will pass. ...
Had a few drinks with a politically savvy good friend last night who has been a solid Clinton supporter until just a month ago when he switched to being a Bernie guy. Like myself, the appeal of Bernie is that he is a "leader", meaning that he is trying to lead to a fresh place, while Clinton is merely a political operative.

Neither of us is anti-Clinton, however. We both think that Sanders is sophisticated enough to pivot at, or after the convention, but will strategically not cease to "lead" until that point.

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Scoutgal #288847 06/08/16 01:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Another prediction: Republicans will pressure Trump to pick a woman running mate (Nikki Haley?) to blunt Clinton's historic significance and to counter Trump's misogynistic tendencies. Literally putting lipstick on an elephant.

L
veteran
veteran
L
Another prediction: Republicans will pressure Trump to pick a woman running mate (Nikki Haley?) to blunt Clinton's historic significance and to counter Trump's misogynistic tendencies. Literally putting lipstick on an elephant.
Do you really think Trump will be pressured by the Republicans?

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
old hand
old hand
You mean like Clinton didn't concede in 2008...
What are you talking about?
Bernie's message should not, cannot be shut down.
The question is, will it be carried within the party or outside? Realistically, Bernie Sanders is not the best spokesman for these ideas. He just happened to be the vehicle for them at this moment. He's not been a member of the Democratic party until now, and will probably leave when this is over. His followers, however, will have other leaders they can support within the party (Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand) if they are in the party. They, in turn, can become the party's future leaders. That is how true change will occur.
She didn't concede immediately after Obama was the presumptive nominee. That's what I'm talking about. It took her a while.
As far as Bernie carrying on the message within the Democratic Party - I would say that depends on how receptive the party is to the ideas he has put forth.
Kirsten Gillibrand?? Surely you jest.
Warren, perhaps. I might think that Warren could just as easily leave the Democratic Party if it gets too far to the right (as it very easily could).

Last edited by Ezekiel; 06/08/16 01:59 PM.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288850 06/08/16 01:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I personally like Bernie Sanders (he's like a curmudgeonly uncle), and I love the ideas he's championed. I have been encouraged by his presence in the campaign and feel that it has been good for the party and our future as Americans. The reality is the Clinton will be the nominee, the party standard-bearer, and likely next President. The question is, how can the ideas he has championed best influence the party's future? What course is most likely to get Clinton to take up the banner?

Page 78 of 193 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard