WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please donate to keep ReaderRant online to serve political discussion and its members. (Blue Ridge Photography pays the bills for RR).
Current Topics
Biden to Cancel $10,000 in Student Loan Debt
by pdx rick - 05/19/24 10:52 PM
A question
by perotista - 05/19/24 08:06 PM
2024 Election Forum
by jgw - 05/17/24 07:45 PM
No rubbers for Trump
by Kaine - 05/16/24 02:21 PM
Marching in favor of Palestinians
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:38 PM
Yeah, Trump admits he is a pure racist
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:28 PM
Trump's base having second thoughts
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:25 PM
Watching the Supreme Court
by pdx rick - 05/14/24 07:07 PM
Trump: "Anti-American authoritarian wannabe
by Doug Thompson - 05/05/24 03:27 PM
Fixing/Engineer the Weather
by jgw - 05/03/24 10:52 PM
Earth Day tomorrow
by logtroll - 05/03/24 01:09 AM
Round Table for Spring 2024
by rporter314 - 04/22/24 03:13 AM
To hell with Trump and his cult
by pdx rick - 04/20/24 08:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 8 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Agnostic Politico, Jems, robertjohn, BlackCat13th, ruggedman
6,305 Registered Users
Popular Topics(Views)
10,080,879 my own book page
5,017,073 We shall overcome
4,194,406 Campaign 2016
3,794,538 Trump's Trumpet
3,017,678 3 word story game
Top Posters
pdx rick 47,286
Scoutgal 27,583
Phil Hoskins 21,134
Greger 19,831
Towanda 19,391
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
jgw 6
Kaine 1
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics17,089
Posts313,787
Members6,305
Most Online294
Dec 6th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 79 of 193 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 192 193
logtroll #288851 06/08/16 01:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by logtroll
Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Another prediction: Republicans will pressure Trump to pick a woman running mate (Nikki Haley?) to blunt Clinton's historic significance and to counter Trump's misogynistic tendencies. Literally putting lipstick on an elephant.
Do you really think Trump will be pressured by the Republicans?
Who do you think wrote the speech he delivered by teleprompter last night? Did that "sound" like Trump? GOP leaders are trying mightily to rein him in, but... you may be right. He's a 70-year-old rich white guy used to getting his way. He is going to resist and undermine that "influence" any way he can - just like he contradicted his "walk back" of his Judge Curiel comments immediately after the press release.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
logtroll #288852 06/08/16 02:00 PM
old hand
old hand
Another prediction: Republicans will pressure Trump to pick a woman running mate (Nikki Haley?) to blunt Clinton's historic significance and to counter Trump's misogynistic tendencies. Literally putting lipstick on an elephant.
Do you really think Trump will be pressured by the Republicans?

I don't. Too much hubris.

"The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them."
Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288853 06/08/16 02:07 PM
Here's the most recent Vegas odds.....

2016 US Presidential Election - Next President of the United States Odds as of June 2

Hillary Clinton -220
Donald Trump +190
Bernie Sanders +1600

They have Hilly as a shoe in.

old hand
old hand
I personally like Bernie Sanders (he's like a curmudgeonly uncle), and I love the ideas he's championed. I have been encouraged by his presence in the campaign and feel that it has been good for the party and our future as Americans. The reality is the Clinton will be the nominee, the party standard-bearer, and likely next President. The question is, how can the ideas he has championed best influence the party's future? What course is most likely to get Clinton to take up the banner?

I think the curmudgeonly uncle thing is actually a fresh look at politics. smile It kind of emphasizes the ideas instead of the person.
The fear that many have is that Hillary will move the Party more to the right - and as I said before - I really hope I'm wrong about that.

Lenny Bruce

"The cleverest of all, in my opinion, is the man who calls himself a fool at least once a month."
Dostoevsky

Ezekiel #288855 06/08/16 02:27 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
Originally Posted by Ezekiel
You mean like Clinton didn't concede in 2008...
What are you talking about?
She didn't concede immediately after Obama was the presumptive nominee. That's what I'm talking about. It took her a while.
Sorry, Zeke, on this you're just plain wrong. I think you are misremembering: This is a transcript of Hillary Cli... the Democratic presidential nomination. Yes, it was four days after the last primary, but anyone who thought she could give a concession speech that night was delusional, just as anyone who thinks Bernie should have last night. It's what he does before the convention that is important.

Sanders acolytes, like many Obamaites in 2008, put him on a pedestal and invest him with superhuman traits and every wish they want fulfilled. The truth is, he's a politician. He's spent 30 years running for and serving in Congress and the Senate. He's from a very small State with a quirky constituency which has insulated him from some of the worst effects of it, but he's still "played the (political) game" for decades. He loved playing the outsider, the "independent", for all of those years, and like Trump, will have a hard time changing that role. But, if he wants to have an impact on the party, he will have to concede gracefully, as Clinton did 8 years ago, or go into the twilight alone.

If he does concede, say this weekend, he will have a great impact on this election and will become a leader. It's his choice.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich
L
veteran
veteran
L
Just two quick notes:

"Acolyte" is a bit of a hyperbolic generalization that sounds pejorative; I am a supporter of Sanders, but not an acolyte. Are you only talking about a vague subset of Sanders supporters?

Sanders is already a leader, more so than Clinton. Unless you want to narrow the definition of "leader".

You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the old model obsolete.
R. Buckminster Fuller
Scoutgal #288857 06/08/16 02:50 PM
old hand
old hand
Fact is she waited and evaluated the landscape before conceding. Likely Bernie will do something similar. And even if he takes it to the convention, I don't see any harm in that. If he keeps Hillary and Wasserman honest then it will be worthwhile. There should be no dictators in the Democratic Party. And if he can get Hillary to choose a more left-leaning running mate, so much the better.
I disagree - I don't think his supporters attribute any superhuman powers - on the contrary, his appeal is the HUMAN quality he exudes, as opposed to Obama and Clinton.
He is a guy who is pronouncing clear ideas - again, one can only hope that Clinton has learned something from that.
As far as his future in the Democratic Party - it depends more on said party than on him.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

logtroll #288858 06/08/16 02:52 PM
old hand
old hand
Just two quick notes:

"Acolyte" is a bit of a hyperbolic generalization that sounds pejorative; I am a supporter of Sanders, but not an acolyte. Are you only talking about a vague subset of Sanders supporters?

Sanders is already a leader, more so than Clinton. Unless you want to narrow the definition of "leader".

Thanks, Loggy. I mentioned the use of that word in a previous post and suggested "supporter", which is what I consider myself, and most of the folks I know that support Bernie feel the same way.

Lenny Bruce

Dostoevsky

Scoutgal #288859 06/08/16 02:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't use it as a pejorative, but it is a subset of "true believers". I don't think that is hyperbolic at all.

And, as much as I like Sanders and his message, he's not a true "leader." He wants to be, and he now has "followers" who believe in the same things he does. What he needs, though, is to give them direction. That is what a leader does. I subscribe to the principle of leadership as "a process of social influence in which a person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task".

Right now he is just a spokesman for a nascent movement. He's identified goals, but has not developed a plan to get there. That is what he has often been criticized for. Leadership is what gets things done.

Scoutgal #288860 06/08/16 03:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been a Sanders supporter from the beginning. I'm not a Sanders "acolyte". You're imbuing the word with far more import than it deserves and downplaying the fervency that "supporter" implies. Now, if I said one was an apostle, that, I think, would be closer to your implication.

Page 79 of 193 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 192 193

Link Copied to Clipboard